Ned Braden
jesus jones
7 posters

what are you telling your kids about climate change

jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 259

what are you telling your kids about climate change Empty what are you telling your kids about climate change

Post by jesus jones Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:16 am

i don't have kids or have plans to have kids so i'm curious what parents in 2019 are telling their children about their futures
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 993
    DispositionRock Guitars

what are you telling your kids about climate change Empty Re: what are you telling your kids about climate change

Post by Ned Braden Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:13 am

I’d basically tell them we’re all fucked and not to buy property near the coast. Get some real estate somewhere cool and landlocked like Colorado, Montana, or Alaska, and like, don’t place bets on a real life Mad Max movie breaking out, but still be ready for one to happen.
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Pizzas : 161
    Dispositionpickled

what are you telling your kids about climate change Empty Re: what are you telling your kids about climate change

Post by Michael K. Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:37 am

:watkid:

My kids are 4 and under, so these conversations are, best case, nebulous. But I think they'll be fairly well attuned to the idea by the time they're old enough to be. The world's changing, now faster than ever, and I think that'll just be part of the milieu for them. Maybe that's a cop out? I'm not shy about these conversations, I just think it'll be part of their lives like computers are for us, television was for our parents, and cars were for our grandparents.

Fuck me that climate change is our current profound technological achievement.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 993
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:07 am

Michael K. wrote:
    Fuck me that climate change is our current profound technological achievement.

harshest realm, dankest depths
    techno raj
    techno raj
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 228

Post by techno raj Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:44 am

Not a parent but it seems smart to instill good values and assure the next generation that they can be part of the solution.

Want to Help Fight Climate Change? Have More Children
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:45 am

To my kids’ elementary school’s credit, they do a wonderful job teaching them about climate change and conservation. They know quite a bit about the topic and show genuine concern.

I don’t say much other than support those concerns though at times (after a couple drinks) I’m likely to say, “You can thank the grandparents for destroying our planet.”
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 65
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:46 am

Yeah. If I had kids, I would be much more interested in knowing about what they could tell me about climate change. Children intuitively understand that you can't go about literally destroying the things that gives you life. We have to be socialized into completely disrespecting the planet and environment.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1138

Post by undo Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:09 pm

Nick wrote:To my kids’ elementary school’s credit, they do a wonderful job teaching them about climate change and conservation.

In hindsight, it's ridiculous how much emphasis really was placed on this when I was in elementary school. None of it was mandatory per a curriculum but it somehow got through to us year after year without any pushback from parents, etc. I did not go to a school that was in any way ideologically receptive to these ideas.

Earth Day was a big deal for us every year.

WP64 wrote:We have to be socialized into completely disrespecting the planet and environment.

Of course this happened to each of us over time, but at least it wasn't deliberately political back then.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:55 pm