undo
10 posters

Bands you've never knowingly heard a single song from

BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 283
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Bands you've never knowingly heard a single song from - Page 2 Empty Re: Bands you've never knowingly heard a single song from

Post by BGwaves Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:33 pm

Spine of god by Monster Magnet is one of my favorite ‘stoner rock’ albums. If you like Mudhoney, you’d probably like Monster Magnet. Also, Negasonic Teenage Warhead is the best!

A few bands that I’ve never knowingly heard:

Buddy Guy
    John Lee Hooker
    Government Mule
    The Dead Boys
    Cocteau Twins
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Pizzas : 161
    Dispositionpickled

Bands you've never knowingly heard a single song from - Page 2 Empty Re: Bands you've never knowingly heard a single song from

Post by Michael K. Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:05 am

[quote="Michael K."]
    Duff... wrote:

Michael K. wrote:
    Sinead O'Connor

There's no way this is true.

Dunno what to tell you. I mean, I've definitely heard one of her songs because (I think) they're famous and I remember her being very famous when I was c. 6 years old. I honestly thought then that she was famous for being a woman and not having hair. Have no idea what her hits are, haven't ever had one played for me, and have never intentionally listened to an album. Should I?
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:07 am

BGwaves wrote:Spine of god by Monster Magnet is one of my favorite ‘stoner rock’ albums. If you like Mudhoney, you’d probably like Monster Magnet. Also, Negasonic Teenage Warhead is the best!

Cocteau Twins

I don't think I have a great bead on your taste, but I'd definitely remedy this. In some ways, the apotheosis of what slowdive was trying to do with pygmalion.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:45 am

You know, obviously 'knowingly' is a very important caveat here, but now I'm wondering if I've ever heard a Sinead O'Connor song aside from the one that everyone has definitely heard. Which just begun playing in another room of the house as I'm typing this post. Synchronicity.
    Ted Falconi
    Ted Falconi
    Shiek

Pizzas : 394

Post by Ted Falconi Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:08 am

Chemical Brothers
    Frank Ocean
    The Monks
    Insane Clown Posse
    Elastica
    Justin Timberlake (not counting 'Dick in a Box')

I went to a Babes in Toyland concert in like 1992, but dont think I ever heard a record.

BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 283
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:26 am

Oh, I think you’d like The Monks. If you listened to The Best Show at all this past year when Tom was doing his fake radio shows he played a snippet of The Monks song Shut Up during the angry guys show ‘Aw, Shut Up.’ Good song!
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 810
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:26 pm

Michael K. wrote:
    Michael K. wrote:
    Duff... wrote:

Michael K. wrote:
    Sinead O'Connor

Dunno what to tell you. I mean, I've definitely heard one of her songs because (I think) they're famous and I remember her being very famous when I was c. 6 years old. I honestly thought then that she was famous for being a woman and not having hair. Have no idea what her hits are, haven't ever had one played for me, and have never intentionally listened to an album. Should I?

Prince wrote this. And since you've almost definitely heard it more than a few times, Sinead O'Connor sings it.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1143

Post by undo Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:55 pm

Abandoned Pools

what could this be? Maybe I'll never now.
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:49 am

Duff... wrote:
    Michael K. wrote:
    Michael K. wrote:
    Duff... wrote:

Michael K. wrote:
    Sinead O'Connor

Huh. I think the only place I've heard that song that rings any bells is the eponym on a Now That's What I Call Music! commercial. Probably seems like I'm being willfully obtuse here, but that's the truth. Anyway, cool tune I guess.

Last edited by Michael K. on Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 875

Post by zappo Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:00 pm

I think that that's the only Sinead O'Connor song which I've heard.  Though I do know some song by U2's The Edge ("Heroine") which features her guesting on vocals.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut

Post by Gene Bootcut Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:00 pm

'Nothing Compares 2 U' discussion reminds me of my last girlfriend's incredulity that I had never heard of this song, which I've still never encountered out of her playing it around me, but she seemed convinced it was as ubiquitous in the cultural memory as 'Baba O'Riley' or something

Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:45 pm

Well, that is something. But I think I have a decade on you and I'm not sure I've heard that much since the early 90's so that's not mindblowing like this O'Connor thing.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:46 pm

Serious question, as I generally think of you people as more knowledgeable than me: Do you guys listen to the radio?
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut

Post by Gene Bootcut Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:27 pm

I do not, but I was often in the car with my parents listening to it during the first 18 years of my life and 'She Drives Me Crazy' was still completely new to me, possibly for the reason you suggested
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:35 pm

Swearing at Motorists
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:11 pm

Duff... wrote:Serious question, as I generally think of you people as more knowledgeable than me: Do you guys listen to the radio?

I listened to alternative rock radio (Live 105 out of SF) a bunch from 1995-1998. After that period, only local jazz stations and NPR. Prior to that, only country music (KSAN, 94.9 out of SF.) Loved the shit out of "She Drives Me Crazy" though. One of the first songs I can remember loving.
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 259

Post by jesus jones Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:13 am

guided by voices
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:45 am

American Head Charge is an industrial metal band from Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States. The band has earned two nominations at the Kerrang! Awards.

Early incarnations of the band sported names such as Flux, Gestapo Pussy Ranch, and Warsaw Ghetto Pussy, although these were short-lived. The name Flux was already adopted by another band and so was dropped due to the chance of copyright infringement and libel, while the latter names were abandoned within a period of six months so as not to alienate prospective label interest. "I'm a fan of 3-word names", Hanks said in a December 2001 ConcertLivewire.com interview. In reference to the band name, he confessed; "It means nothing. No meaning by it. Pretty much that purpose right there."[4] Although sometimes speculated that their name was taken from Adrian Sherwood's famous dub label On-U Sound act African Head Charge, which was formed in the early 1980s, it is in fact a coincidence. Chad Hanks remarked in an interview before they were signed that, "It turns out that there is actually a band called African Head Charge; it's so hard to be original these days."
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 997
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:21 pm

Michael K. wrote:
    BGwaves wrote:Spine of god by Monster Magnet is one of my favorite ‘stoner rock’ albums. If you like Mudhoney, you’d probably like Monster Magnet. Also, Negasonic Teenage Warhead is the best!

Cocteau Twins

I don't think I have a great bead on your taste, but I'd definitely remedy this. In some ways, the apotheosis of what slowdive was trying to do with pygmalion.

My brother just reminded me that I need to get into Cocteau Twins, and I'm sure I've probably heard a song or two from them at some point, but I can't name one or think of even a melody. Gonna remedy this within the next 24 hrs.

undo wrote:
    American Head Charge is an industrial metal band from Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States. The band has earned two nominations at the Kerrang! Awards.    

Early incarnations of the band sported names such as Flux, Gestapo Pussy Ranch, and Warsaw Ghetto Pussy

The fact that they CHANGED the band name after Gestapo Pussy Ranch and Warsaw Ghetto Pussy makes me less likely to listen to them tbh.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 2:12 pm