zappo
undo
10 posters

Bands you've never knowingly heard a single song from

undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1138

Bands you've never knowingly heard a single song from Empty Bands you've never knowingly heard a single song from

Post by undo Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:25 pm

Ned's Atomic Dustbin
    Sunburned Hand of Man
    Ultravox
    Magnapop
    Babes in Toyland
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Bands you've never knowingly heard a single song from Empty Re: Bands you've never knowingly heard a single song from

Post by zappo Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:38 pm

Ultravox is the shit, B.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Bands you've never knowingly heard a single song from Empty Re: Bands you've never knowingly heard a single song from

Post by Gene Bootcut Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:46 pm

Everything on your list other than Ultravox LOL
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut

Post by Gene Bootcut Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:48 pm

Half Japanese
    Cheap Trick
    Spank Rock
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:11 pm

Lil Peep
    Lil Uzi Vert
    Lil Xan
    Lil Reese
    Lil Rapist Guy with the 69 on His Face
    Lil Jay
    Mac Miller
    Mac Demarco
    Bruno Mars
    Selena Gomez
    Beat Happening
    Death Cab for Cutie
    Azealia Banks
    Iggy Azalea
    Ariana Grande
    Judas Priest
    Grimes
    Sebadoh
    Swell Maps/Nikki Sudden/Epic Soundtracks
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 809
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:47 pm

zappo wrote:
    Bruno Mars

do you literally not leave the house
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 993
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:04 pm

I’m having a hard time believing that you never clicked one of the links in Chrono’s (?) “lil peep is a goth boi” thread or whatever it was called.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:15 pm

Soma wrote:
    Spank Rock
    I swear there was a Spank Rock song on one of the JDFF eoy singles countdowns but I have no idea for sure.

You have most certainly heard Cheap Trick, but not knowingly.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 282
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:55 pm

This is an interesting thread idea. My only problem with some of the responses is how do you remember a band when you’ve never heard anything by them? The spank rock thing made me think of this because I actually do remember listening to them but I totally forgot they existed until this thread.

zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:26 pm

Duff... wrote:
    zappo wrote:
    Bruno Mars

do you literally not leave the house

I work from home, don't listen to pop radio, don't have cable, don't use Spotify, and don't drink or go to bars. So I'm actively choosing exactly what I'd like to hear like 95% of the time that I'm listening to music. I do go out to other places and watch sporting events, though, so I'm 100% positive that I've heard his song (or songs, if he has more'n one) at least once. Probably many times. But I've not "knowingly" heard it and couldn't even tell you what kind of music he makes. (My guess would be pop-r'n'b.) A good similar example is Katy Perry--heard of her, obviously. I even know what she looks like. But I didn't think I'd heard any of her songs until I brought this up in conversation with friends, about a year-and-a-half ago and they immediately sang and pulled up a number of songs which I had definitely heard parts of at least dozens of times during sports telecasts and even in various stadiums and arenas. It had just been background noise, though, and I hadn't any idea what it was.

It was also pointed out to me that she performed a Super Bowl halftime show and that I clearly watched the game, in that I refer to it somewhat regularly. But I was out picking up food during that performance, as the halftime show has almost always been so terribly sad and stinky regardless of who all's playing the motherfucker.

Ned Braden wrote:I’m having a hard time believing that you never clicked one of the links in Chrono’s (?) “lil peep is a goth boi” thread or whatever it was called.

I've never clicked on the thread, if it exists. eh

And Ned, I always think of you when I think about this story:

When that "Gangnam Style" song broke, I read about it right before it actually blew up. It sounded like and was described as the kind of thing that was going to go viral, or whatever, and it certainly did. Exponentially moreso than I'd thought it would. But I made a conscious choice to see how long I could go without actively choosing to listen to it or watch the video. I finally went to a bar in early December of 2012, and that was the first time I heard it. It took all of twenty minutes. That was the same night that I heard "Call Me Maybe" for the first time, too. Though I was initially unmoved by it (and quite disappointed about that, given your enthusiasm on the board), I've gone on to hear that one quite a few more times, over the years.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:35 pm

zappo wrote:
    Iggy Azalea

ballin ballin ballin

I've fallen head-over-heels in love with the musical stylings of one Charli XCX, over the course of the last eight months (thousands of spins, literally), and I've just now, owing to this thread, listened to this song for the first time. I don't recall ever having heard it in any context, previously, and I'm pretty sure I would remember it. Because it is one of the most offensive things I've ever heard in my entire life. This was popular? The internet says that this woman is Australian...this is some (again, literally) breathtakingly racist-ass garbage.

Loving Charli's hook, though!
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut

Post by Gene Bootcut Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:09 am

undo wrote:

You have most certainly heard Cheap Trick, but not knowingly.

This is my very strong suspicion, yes.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:35 am

I was actually hoping I’d dreamed this, but turns out it did exist:
    https://lopp2.forumotion.com/t627-lil-peep-is-a-goth-boi?highlight=Lil+peep

Actually pretty fucking sad tbh.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:37 pm

zappo wrote:so I'm 100% positive that I've heard his song (or songs, if he has more'n one) at least once.

lol

But yes, you've definitely heard him. Lately he's been doing some Minnesota funk/new jack bullshit that I suppose could be much worse. He too did a super bowl halftime show, which I only remember because the graphic of his huge face dwarfing the Red Hot Chili Peppers next to him (they also played) made me laugh for about two months whenever that was.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:40 pm

zappo wrote:
    zappo wrote:
    Iggy Azalea

ballin ballin ballin

I've fallen head-over-heels in love with the musical stylings of one Charli XCX, over the course of the last eight months (thousands of spins, literally), and I've just now, owing to this thread, listened to this song for the first time. I don't recall ever having heard it in any context, previously, and I'm pretty sure I would remember it. Because it is one of the most offensive things I've ever heard in my entire life. This was popular? The internet says that this woman is Australian...this is some (again, literally) breathtakingly racist-ass garbage.

This did in fact catch up with her and you'll notice you don't hear about her so much these days. But for a while there the fact that she was TI's protegé gave her some cover. The first like dozen times I'd heard it was on GCI so I didn't even know it was some pasty blonde chick for a while.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:21 pm

also

Ani Defranco
    Monster Magnet
    Gong
    The The
    Uriah Heep
    Suede
    Tindersticks
    Prefab Sprout
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:42 pm

Fuck. Uriah Heep. That's a good-ass call that also applies to me.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut

Post by Gene Bootcut Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:45 pm

undo, I want you to listen to Steve McQueen and Can Our Love... and make multi-paragraph posts about them in your 'albums of note that I'm hearing for the first time' thread.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:46 pm

Also, I think you'd really love Prefab Sprout!
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Pizzas : 161
    Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:36 pm

Smithereens
    Dead Can Dance
    Sound Tribe Sector 9
    Sinead O'Connor

undo
    undo

Post by undo Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:25 pm

Michael K. wrote:Smithereens

I hear "A Girl Like You" a couple times a year, really seems like the definitive pre-Nevermind alternative/"college rock" song.

There's a whole world of music from that era that I have no conception of whatsoever (The Church, World Party, I have no idea what these bands could possibly sound like).
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:45 pm

Phish
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:15 pm

undo wrote:
    Monster Magnet

I got this idea in my head that you listened to 103.5 in its rock days so either I'm mistaken or I guess that station had some problems with telling you who was singing.

Michael K. wrote:
    Sinead O'Connor

There's no way this is true.

undo wrote:World Party

Heard "Ship of Fools" on XRT in the spring I think. Pretty good!
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:32 pm

Duff... wrote:
    undo wrote:
    Monster Magnet

I got this idea in my head that you listened to 103.5 in its rock days so either I'm mistaken or I guess that station had some problems with telling you who was singing.

This was definitely someone else, I never listened to The Blaze.

I know World Party still finds its way into the XRT playlist but if they're playing them when I'm listening, they're not bothering to let me know.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:49 pm

All this for me:

zappo wrote:Also, I think you'd really love Prefab Sprout!
    zappo wrote:Fuck.  Uriah Heep.  That's a good-ass call that also applies to me.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:31 am