4 posters

Build me a sound system

undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1140

Build me a sound system  - Page 2 Empty Re: Build me a sound system

Post by undo Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:17 pm

Bad news, that's actually a very small room, perhaps less of a "room" than a passageway from the kitchen to the back door. We're talking 6.5 feet wide. I could move the speakers much further apart from one another and change the angles they're facing, which might be able to get them 8-10 feet away from me, but at that point they would practically be on opposite sides of the room from one another.

Do you even use your turntable lid? (And if so, to protect it when it's not in use OR actually closed shut when a record is playing?)
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 283
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:17 pm

I do use my turntable lid, mostly to protect from dust. You work with the space you have, I get that.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:51 pm

undo wrote:I still need to get a turntable, I'm not happy with the one I have,  but there's always excuses, real or not so real idk, to hold off on that for a bit

I have still not taken any action on this and I'm as clueless as to where to begin as anywhere.

There is a hi-fi store sort of near me that sells audio equipment and I've been in there a couple of times but never bought any gear other than a used VCR. They sell turntables but the website lists a whole bunch of different Crosley models... and then the next step up is like a $1200 "Player Turntable" from some company called VPI, then stuff like this, which costs almost $3000:

I don't want to get a Crosley. No disrespect to anyone here who has one and is really enjoying their experience of it. Actually, if I just described you then please tell me about how happy you are with yours!

Isn't there a good "mid-priced" option for casual home listening that's going to provide "good" fidelity and not damage the records it's playing? I define "mid-priced as $300-$700 or something like that but then again, lots of people would define that as "cheap" or "entry level." I don't necessarily know if I want to be playing by the standards of those kind of listeners... which is why I don't want to walk into a high-end audio shop and get laughed out of the store by some old rich guy who thinks I'm a stupid kid who just learned what records are. Why bother?

I would like to buy from an actual store and not online, partially because I don't want to pay shipping (although buying local means paying sales tax but... who cares) but also because I want a bit of confidence that I'm not going to get something that's been damaged in transit or turns out to be the wrong item altogether, which has happened to me in the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl4fKxpK9Hc&t=478s

Oh shit it never dawned on me that you'd ever have to do anything as ridiculous as this to switch speeds.

https://www.rega.co.uk/products/planar-2

This looks like such a cool turntable but do I seriously want to remove the platter and manually move the belt like that every time? I don't think I'd want to do that at all!
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:37 am

It's not like I own any 45s or plan on buying any.

I do own an album where the entire run was mistakenly pressed at 45 rpm instead of 33 1/3, so yeah I would like to be able to listen to that as it's supposed to be heard.

https://www.12k.com/releases/field/

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 10:57 am