chrondog
8 posters

Down-but-not-out-tempo music

BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 283
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Down-but-not-out-tempo music - Page 2 Empty Re: Down-but-not-out-tempo music

Post by BGwaves Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:33 am

Tapes like this are why I created that Mixtape thread a few years ago.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:07 pm

chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:10 pm

BGwaves wrote:

Tapes like this are why I created that Mixtape thread a few years ago.

This type of stuff is basically all I want to listen to right now. Stuff with big drums and fake dub flavor. Sick.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:56 pm

That DJ Tomas mix was FANTASTIC and I would like 15 more mixes like that. Some that sound even more stoned, perhaps!
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 997
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:44 pm

chrondog wrote:
    Nick wrote:I listened to some Broadcast albums a few weeks ago and found many of their songs downtempo.

Weirdo pop bands like Broadcast or Stereolab are working with some downtempo elements and deserve to be discussed along this type of music. Especially for their vocals.

jesus jones wrote:

Now this is some HEAT my man. We'll be fucking all night long to this!

Good downtempo music sounds like hash smoking itself.

Late to this bandwagon, but popped in to say that yes, it does indeed fucking wail.

And this old chestnut buried in there is the best kind of 1995:
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:26 am

Maybe mixtape magic is on a similar wavelength. All these ‘chill out room’ mixes have been coming in the last month or so.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:57 pm

Here’s another great mix of stuff I think you’d like. Sounds a bit more ‘chill out room’ than ‘90s coffee shop’ but solid as hell throughout.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 997
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:16 pm

This is the best thread of the year.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:03 pm

Agreed! I'm now moving laterally into ambient DnB/jungle vibes on YouTube:

This is tremendous stuff. Anxiety-fueled BPMs but with space to breathe.
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 259

Post by jesus jones Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:29 pm

this is all i really wanna listen to as spring unfolds
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:09 pm

If we can get this vaccine rollout going in the next few months, I plan to have this blaring while making Oklahoma onion smashburgers and grilled leeks for all my doggies.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:17 am

I like the direction this thread is heading in

chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:35 pm

I was ready to call that mix too modern and hi-fi for this thread, but now I'm 25 minutes in and getting my face blown off while testing emails and eating Life cereal with greek yogurt.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:43 pm

This may be some modern bullshit, but one of my favorite things about the period of 90s exploration from DnB through downtempo music is the way it centers the true Black roots of this music in dub and reggae. DnB reaches straight back through hip hop and house music all the way to Augustus Pablo. It celebrates that through line completely.

The way Jungle touches all the best types of music at once is so so fun.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:13 pm

This is the greatest YouTuber of All Time: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAw0NyC_6y-se4zcQGbEgHA/videos

Unbelievable mix:

Do I need to make a separate thread to offer up 3-5 disjointed sentences on DnB while I just post links?
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:33 pm

two of the best tracks from the K&D sessions:

still jamming this regularly. it just has a place in my life now where it will sit for awhile.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:11 pm

Very breezy, bouncy mix:

Not actually K&D, I think that's just YouTube upload shit so people will find it. It's this: https://www.discogs.com/Various-The-Eclectic-Sound-Of-Vienna-3/release/251384
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1141

Post by undo Sat May 08, 2021 6:44 pm

mmmmmmm stay frosty
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:29 am

I haven’t listened to my vinyl copy (showing off) of Theo Parrish’s album Parallel Dimensions in a long time but the subwoofer brought it out. By definition of this thread, Theo Parrish has been dubbed, by me, superhero of downtempo!
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 259

Post by jesus jones Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:53 am

i love that record so much. sounds like it was recorded inside a warm winter coat
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:02 pm

I bought AR Kane’s New Clear Child recently and I’ve been meaning to post about it hear. It’s a pretty great downtempo album, laidback, early 90s hip hop grooves, mixed with splashes of crystalline guitar, and some pretty cheesy lyrics. However, the way Alex Ayuli performs those cheesy lyrics is worth it for me, although, I can understand if you’re not into his style. 

I’d also recommend their first two albums, 69 and i. 69 in particular has become one of my favorites this year. They apparently coined the term Dream Pop to describe what they were doing so that might make them worth investigating for some of you. They kinda sound like a precursor to the sort of thing that TV on the Radio expanded on in the 2000s. Sadly while researching their vinyl I found out that they have a dispute with the guy from One Little Indian. Apparently he bought the catalog at a liquidated price from whoever had it before them and he’s been holding it without any plans. The band is furious as they wanted to do a 30th anniversary edition with a tour but are unable to control their own recordings. Apparently One Little Indian doesn’t even have the Masters so if they reissued it themselves it’d basically be from a digital file… lame.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:16 pm

This album is quite insane and I enjoy it. I like genre-hopping and vibes. You're on the money that these vocals/lyrics are absurd at points—I've learned to enjoy that as part of the charm of 90s/early 2000s downtempo.

This has been on for 25 minutes and I can't really say what's happening. It's a mix of breathy vocals, bongos, horns, harps, hip-hop, and a bunch of other shit.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:42 pm

I never really gave the album ‘i’ a full listen. It is equally as weird and good. Heavy Manchester vibe with the melodies and grooves with this one. Almost reminds me of around the world in a day era prince at times too. This band was the best discovery of the year for me.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:35 am

BGwaves wrote:I never really gave the album ‘i’ a full listen. It is equally as weird and good. Heavy Manchester vibe with the melodies and grooves with this one. Almost reminds me of around the world in a day era prince at times too. This band was the best discovery of the year for me.

Last 3 posts in this thread means I’ll be listening to A.R. Kane all week.

Props!
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:26 pm

I listened to this while doing the Korok Trials. The music matched the gameplay and made for a good morning!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 11:05 pm