monotony
yancy
24 posters

fuck it, i'm making a Daft Punk thread

chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

fuck it, i'm making a Daft Punk thread - Page 8 Empty Re: fuck it, i'm making a Daft Punk thread

Post by chrondog Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:38 pm

you can dance to "Touch" though

i get that comparison in some ways, that's just not the listening space i put the song in
    monotony
    monotony
    Vanity-published Eco-horror Fiction Writer

Pizzas : 65

fuck it, i'm making a Daft Punk thread - Page 8 Empty Re: fuck it, i'm making a Daft Punk thread

Post by monotony Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:31 pm

i can't stand "touch" and it probably has something to do with my hatred of musical theatre

give me the sad robot herbie hancock stuff over that any day
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:53 pm

monotony said he doesn't like this on twitter so i'll post it here 

Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Pizzas : 161
    Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:19 pm

Jaar made some of these tracks even sexier.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:33 pm

i just love Jaar and his downtempo and his ideas. i wouldn't put his silly remix album next to the real thing. he wouldn't either. he's just using RAM as a springboard to create something totally his own.

some cool tracks on it for sure.
    monotony
    monotony

Post by monotony Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:52 pm

jasperness wrote:monotony said he doesn't like this on twitter so i'll post it here 

i merely retweeted former JDFF boarder and now big time pitchfork journalist Andrew Ryce's thoughts on the matter! but i agree w/ him.

i feel the same way about the jaar remixes as i do about the daughter cover of "get lucky" which is to say it sorta sucks out the, uh, "essence" or whatever of this music. taking something colourful and playful and turning it monochrome
    rubberman
    rubberman
    Gash Hound

Pizzas : 4

Post by rubberman Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:16 am

cant bring myself to hear the jaar remix tbh

i mean i skimmed it a bit it sounded godawful
    quip
    quip
    Jasper's Yurt of Enlightened Conversation

Pizzas : 74

Post by quip Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:48 am

I've always been a fan of 70's schock so "Touch" is unsurprisingly the highlight of the album for me. 

Out of all the edits/remixes/reworks I've heard so far, this is my favorite: 

reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Post by reuben Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:54 pm

Everytime I see "Phantom of the Paradise" I misread it as "Phantom of the Park" and I get a little disappointed that the collaboration on "Touch" was with the Yancey Woodchuck guy instead of Gene Simmons.
    yancy
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Post by yancy Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:25 pm

Nels Cline plays Nile Rodgers. I'm not a big Wilco fan, but this is pretty fun.

quip
    quip

Post by quip Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:42 pm

I think my favorite part of the album is the drumming in Contact. Such over the top wankery that I would hate in almost any other context.
    quip
    quip

Post by quip Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:15 pm

Went searching for Instant Crush lyrics today and saw a review for the song in the search results. Not surprised to see who the author was after clicking through.

http://m.popdust.com/2013/05/21/daft-punks-random-access-memories-reviewed-instant-crush/
    Paves
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 181

Post by Paves Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:17 pm

I feel like I'm not going to be surprised at who the author is after clicking that link.

fuck it, i'm making a Daft Punk thread - Page 8 Twistedmisters
    Paves
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 181

Post by Paves Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:20 pm

otm
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:12 am

Guy in the middle is basically Simon Bird

monotony
    monotony

Post by monotony Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:13 am

haha Soma i thought the same thing
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:08 pm

fuck it, i'm making a Daft Punk thread - Page 8 Vazpw
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1145

Post by undo Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:25 pm

I had quite a moment with this album recently (not stoned) and I've changed my mind about it quite a bit.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:10 pm

I didn't care all that much when I heard the news because I never thought they'd release another album, never thought they'd ever tour again, and wouldn't want to be in the kind of crowd that would go see them in 2021.

Yesterday I was listening to Alive 2007 in the car and I just broke down crying because... well, who cares why I think I would do such a thing. It's a good mix. The bad songs sound great. The crowd is really excited to be there and you wonder what it might have been like--maybe you saw them at Lollapalooza and don't have to wonder--to experience something so visceral and communal and familiar but also so transformative that was happening in a moment that wasn't tainted by all the sleaze and bullshit that would soon define that kind of experience from that point on forever.

They were there when I was in high school and they were still there when I turned 40 and they were always relevant and cool and maybe that meant that there was something from my past that would always just be and never grow old or turn into a parody of itself. But no, everything in my past is rolling up its mat and closing shop. And maybe that's how it's supposed to be and it's good that they officially quit. That's a popular opinion, I'm sure.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:15 pm

undo wrote:I had quite a moment with this album recently (not stoned) and I've changed my mind about it quite a bit.

I don't remember making this post or what it's even about. Random Access Memories? I don't think I ever listened to that album all the way through more than once or twice. I still love many of the songs from it.

I lurk on hipinion all the time and half of this thread is just people saying that it's a bad and "embarrassing" album on every level and that "Get Lucky" is not just a Bad Song but obviously a terrible one that they always hated from the first time they heard it (I don't believe 90% of these people at all). I think they're reacting more to the sudden hype it got from Boomers and tweens and reacting to it more than the music itself, which no one would hate on if it wasn't made by this band or anticipated for so long.

Admitting that I don't really listen to it but wanting to defend it is some serious mental gymnastics, I know.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:20 pm

Announcing a breakup while having no current projects is pretty silly and probably makes it more likely that they actually will work together on something again.

undo wrote:It's a good mix. The bad songs sound great. The crowd is really excited to be there and you wonder what it might have been like--maybe you saw them at Lollapalooza and don't have to wonder--to experience something so visceral and communal and familiar but also so transformative that was happening in a moment that wasn't tainted by all the sleaze and bullshit that would soon define that kind of experience from that point on forever.

This is how I felt seeing Gesaffelstein twice on his last tour. Really cool music done really well that is divorced from trend and hype. Just lots of people grooving the fuck out. The French have it figured out.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 284
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:37 pm

Deej and I rode our bikes downtown just to watch outside the fence. While we were there someone noticed that there was only 1 security guard and he started rocking the fence back and forth. A few more people joined in and knocked that shit down. About 30 people busted through the little area where the fence fell and before you knew it like 10 more security guards showed up to stop it. We did not go because of our bikes...

You are right about Alive. It was a great mix and proved that those songs had a place. Human after all is terrible because it followed Discovery and Homework. If they started with Human, then Homework, then Discovery, people may have been more forgiving. But there is no denying the drop in quality from the first two albums and Human.

Homework remains my favorite. It was a zeitgeist album for me. So many teen memories soundtracked by that thing. I can still remember my friend Steve just fucking up the dance floor in my passenger seat. I remember passing the mini bong on the way to raves. Rollin’ and Scratchin’... my god. Stop the music and go home, I repeat, stop the music and go home! Whhrahahrahhahaaaaahahahahaaaa

Last edited by BGwaves on Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 284
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:45 pm

chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:00 pm

BGwaves wrote:Rollin’ and Scratchin’... my god.

Really underappreciated Daft Punk song given where their career has gone.

BGwaves wrote:Human after all is terrible because it followed Discovery and Homework. If they started with Human, then Homework, then Discovery, people may have been more forgiving. But there is no denying the drop in quality from the first two albums and Human.

On the money. But I still rock "Robot Rock" more than most of their catalog these days!
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:13 pm

I was the only person who loved "Robot Rock" when it first came out, fact

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:29 pm