Ted Falconi
Ned Braden
undo
ClosetOfExhaustion
Duff...
zappo
Paves
30 posters

paves, where can we find the shitty garage shows?

_
    _
    Bass Player from Creepy D

Pizzas : 60

paves, where can we find the shitty garage shows? - Page 10 Empty Re: paves, where can we find the shitty garage shows?

Post by _ Thu May 12, 2016 1:15 pm

i mean how bad can it really be though

i'll go get my ass beat in the crowd 4 45 minutes while they tunelessly shout something resembling Queen Wasp, it'll be sloppy as shit which is fine

how different would a great and a terrible Misfits show be
    _
    _

paves, where can we find the shitty garage shows? - Page 10 Empty Re: paves, where can we find the shitty garage shows?

Post by _ Thu May 12, 2016 1:16 pm

live videos from the past couple years seem to indicate that Danzig hasn't completely given up on perfoming/life yet
    petey
    petey
    Still has http://lotsofpeopleposting.teensboards.com bookmarked

Pizzas : 49

Post by petey Thu May 12, 2016 1:34 pm

i saw them at the Congress theater a few years back with Danzig and Doyle. They were fine.
    Paves
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 181

Post by Paves Thu May 12, 2016 1:48 pm

The band Dungen R playing at the Milwaukee Reckless at 1:00 on Sunday.  Hopefully it will be an electric set but I doubt it.  I might not be there.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Thu May 12, 2016 1:51 pm

petey wrote:i saw them at the Congress theater a few years back with Danzig and Doyle.  They were fine.

The Only-led band played at a bar like three blocks away from my suburban childhood home, a few years ago. Was fucking surreal. In theory, at least. I certainly wasn't in attendance.
    Paves
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by Paves Thu May 12, 2016 1:57 pm

Almost certainly will be seeing the fine band Watery Love at the Hideout at the end of this month.  They're not even headlining.  That's it 4 potentially decent shows I know about that R happening.

I saw Cecil Taylor in New York which was objectively cool although I hadn't eaten or taken a piss in hours and didn't have a great seat or anything.  The description of the second performance he gave a week later as part of the same museum exhibition/residency made that one seem more appealing, to be honest, but I didn't stay long enough to catch it.  Did sit directly behind him in the audience of another show that was part of the same exhibition, however, and took a lot of pictures of people taking pictures of him between sets.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Thu May 12, 2016 2:05 pm

I saw Watery Love at a block party, last year. As always, Kurt Vile was there.
    Ted Falconi
    Ted Falconi
    Shiek

Pizzas : 394

Post by Ted Falconi Fri May 20, 2016 8:30 pm

I just checked the lineup 4 Naperville Ribfest 2016 honestly thinking I might C Deep Purple and /or Nazareth. No dice. Headliners R 3 Doors Down and Sheryl Crow.
    Paves
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by Paves Sat May 21, 2016 2:02 am

That's dark.
    Paves
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by Paves Wed May 25, 2016 11:46 am

https://www.rocklegendscruise.com/
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Pizzas : 161
    Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Wed May 25, 2016 5:17 pm

Got two tickets to Ween in October at the Bill Graham Civic. Thrilled. The only person I know IRL who will go w/ me is mostly an acquaintance whose other favorite musical acts R 311, Elvis Presley, and NWA.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 810
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Wed May 25, 2016 7:01 pm

Didn't know people who liked 311 were allowed to like other things.
    Ted Falconi
    Ted Falconi
    Shiek

Pizzas : 394

Post by Ted Falconi Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:25 pm

Anti 2nd Amendment fundraiser, live performance by, among others, Vortis, and an art auction that includes a vintage photo of Weasel Walter.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1193988147300985/
    Paves
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by Paves Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:48 am

Boris and Earth at the Metro was a solid show last night.

I met Boris at a lame record store earlier and shook their hands and got my Absolutego CD booklet signed.

Earth's set was loud with two guitars and drums.  Dylan Carlson was chugging a big jug of iced tea and seems to have left his pussy mellow folk thing at home 4 this tour.  There was no cellist this time.  It was loud rock with cowboy hats instead.

Boris were obviously awesome and played Pink and I don't know when the hell the last time was that I listened to that album.  Afterwards Dylan Carlson joined them 4 an all star jam playing the "Ouorboros Is Broken" riff 4 a longass time. His tinyass amp off to the side looked hilarious next to Boris's bigass Orange stacks.

This was probably the best show I've seen at the Metro ever and I'm glad there wasn't a terrible opening band.  Wish there were more great or at least passable shows going down.
    Paves
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by Paves Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:55 am

Oh yeah, I saw the Isley Brothers and Sheila E at the Taste of Chicago.  That was definitely enjoyable.  Vivica A. Fox and some women from some TV show I've never seen appeared onstage at one point.  

A woman next to me seemed shocked and amazed that I was familiar with the obscure fans only deep cut "Twist and Shout."
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 67
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:37 am

How cool was "Just Abandoned My-Self" live?
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:24 am

Jonny Greenwood has been listening to Boris U can hear their influence all over A Moon Shaped Pool.

Props!
    _
    _

Post by _ Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:27 am

man i thought the Boris show was this weekend. i fucked up!
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:34 pm

http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2016/09/gza-perform-liquid-swords-new-york-chicago-shows/

Can't get over this being at City Winery.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1140

Post by undo Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:59 pm

anyone know this guy
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:19 am

Saw Earthless with Paves, this evening. Good show.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1140

Post by undo Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:19 pm

http://www.oaklandghostship.com/

look at this place
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:13 pm

Jesus.
    vIv
    vIv
    Volunteer worker

Pizzas : 89

Post by vIv Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:47 pm

undo wrote:http://www.oaklandghostship.com/

look at this place

Unfathomably sad. This is a huge blow to our community. Although I didn't personally know any of the victims, many people I know did. The warehouse music scene in Oakland (connected with American Steel and Burning Man) is a super tight knit community. And I'd seen DJ Nackt (Johnny Ignaz) spin at a number of parties. He was a really talented producer and ambient DJ and all-around Mensch, apparently.

https://www.residentadvisor.net/dj/nackt
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:17 pm

the Ghost Ship fire is truly truly sad. i'm glad none of my friends were there. it seemed like a very cool venue, though obviously unsafe.

i've seen a lot of weird takes on the tragedy from people on Facebook and the media at-large. the reality is that the economics of these "underground venues" don't make any sense, especially in the Bay Area with astronomical rents and a bevy of regulations on buildings. that's why they cut corners and aren't properly permitted. while artists would like to see the municipal government more involved in supporting safe, underground venues because 'artists make up the quirky character of the cities we love', i think the reality is actually that these artists and venues are very niche and the vast majority of the taxpaying public aren't interested in subsidizing art on any level. it's an intractable problem. cities aren't interested in affordable housing, flexible venue regulations, and subsidizing cultural events. they're in the business of gentrifying everything to increase the tax base, especially in Oakland. that's why these venues and these people have to go "underground".

it's very sad and these cold, hard, economically-motivated decisions don't reflect my personal values, but the truth is this tragedy is part of the risk that is taken on to bring these beautiful experiences to the people who want them, often those more on the margins of society. i honor their terrible, unfortunate sacrifice.

also, i think it's worth noting that the city is probably aware of most of these venues and the dangers they post. there are a TON of unpermitted venues in Oakland especially. but the city also tacitly accepts them. so they shouldn't be allowed to feign ignorance and say "well they didn't have the permits! we didn't know this could happen!" they say that because they don't want to be held legally responsible, obviously, but they're not absolved of all responsibility.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 8:26 pm