Ted Falconi
Ned Braden
undo
ClosetOfExhaustion
Duff...
zappo
Paves
30 posters

paves, where can we find the shitty garage shows?

zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

paves, where can we find the shitty garage shows? - Page 15 Empty Re: paves, where can we find the shitty garage shows?

Post by zappo Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:17 am

A friend of mine is going and will not stop talking about it. I will not be there.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1140

paves, where can we find the shitty garage shows? - Page 15 Empty Re: paves, where can we find the shitty garage shows?

Post by undo Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:37 pm

I've never heard a Naked Raygun song.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 810
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:32 pm

Wonder if I can swing that.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:27 pm

undo wrote:I've never heard a Naked Raygun song.

Oh me neither
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:53 pm

I'm going to see Gruff Rhys, this evening, and just noticed that a second opening act has been announced at the last minute: Tim Kinsella.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:17 pm

It was one of the ten worst opening sets I've ever seen. He and his "new girlfriend" crooned/spoke purposefully bad poetry (like, you cannot believe how bad it was) over the chintziest beats I've ever heard for 35 minutes. They read from and manually scrolled through the words on a Macbook; they were also projected onto a gigantic screen behind them. They called themselves Good Fuck and claimed it was their first-ever "performance."
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:18 pm

I laughed tears during the song about being frustrated that the local bakery was out of strawberry pie.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:33 pm

Sounds like a Tim Kinsella thing to do.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 67
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:02 pm

Who is this guy? Seems like something I'd like.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:21 pm

Joan of Arc/The Make Believe. Local indie rock bullshit.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:06 pm

Royal Trux is playing Lincoln Hall on February 22. I don't think I've been there since like 2010.
    petey
    petey
    Still has http://lotsofpeopleposting.teensboards.com bookmarked

Pizzas : 49

Post by petey Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:51 pm

That Pitchfork/Midwinter thing at the Art Institute sounds pretty cool
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:24 pm

Yes it does. They did a good job of hosting a space for that Gas performance and it is really cool that they are doing this. I am curious what the ticket prices are going to be. I'd definitely go to at least one of those days if I knew for sure that I was still going to be in the country.
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 259

Post by jesus jones Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:14 am

i might be coming back to chicago for that
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:36 pm

The year is 2018 and Drunks With Gunz is for some reason not only touring, but also playing a shithole called Liar's Club, tonight.  I'm confused but planning to attend.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:48 pm

Just got this pretty incredible message as part of a cancellation/reschedule notice.

Royal Trux wrote:Due to some unresolved issues arising from a past arrest, Royal Trux will be rescheduling their North American Tour. Jennifer is incredibly grateful that she will not be spending any time in jail, and in her own words, states: "Shit could definitely be worse.”
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 283
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:57 pm

The pitchfork Midwinter thing was a fucking joke. The installations were just speakers (in plain view) placed in the corners of some of the spces. So imagine walking around the art institute. As you walk into a room with a famous Monet you’d hear visible cloaks playing out of the speakers. Apparently the pieces were influenced by the artworks but.... come the fuck on! $55 for an experience that was the equivalent of walking around the art institute with my headphones on? Also, the base tickets gave you none of the advertised performances... if you wanted to see Jlin that was an extra $15 not to mention Tortoise and Kamasi Washington which were an extra $30. If we bought tickets to every performance on Saturday it would have totaled about $200 a piece!!! They mislead people on purpose IMO. 
    The lack of even a little decorating to let people know, hey, this is no average night at the SAIC, was a complete missed opportunity.

I was expecting this:
    paves, where can we find the shitty garage shows? - Page 15 Qnykywmc7oofpoqe1ab4

But got this:
    paves, where can we find the shitty garage shows? - Page 15 D01fbf9e449aa649ad17ab76d84f4257--turner-prize-sound-art

SMH!
    At least hide the fucking speakers! Throughout my life I’ve gone to tons of these types of events and the best ones make you feel like you are having a life moment that you probably won’t forget. Most of those were free! Shit, I’ve been to better SAIC student shows! Also, when the best beer on offer is Tecate, you know something’s wrong. I like Tecate just fine but it’s a gas station beer. Where’s the Natural Wine???Wheres the Brut IPA? It’d be interesting to see the contract that was written up for this thing. Don’t know how others felt but I’m curious if any of you guys went?
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:16 pm

Was just cursing myself for forgetting this was coming up. Guess I'm not now.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:46 pm

I'm surprised that people thought this would be good, but perhaps that says more about my own pessimism (and poverty, re: the fact that you had to pay for the opportunity to pay more) than the ad copy in the announcements.

That said, Kevin Drumm is playing Constellation on Friday.  Sounds like an all-right time. I hope to attend.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:55 am

Legitimately bummed to hear that more effort wasn't put into this because I was really into the concept. I wanted to go but wasn't sure if I would still be in town. I did catch Grouper's show though on Friday night at the Chicago Athletic Association and was absolutely blown away. Such an amazing experience. It was a really intimate little ballroom and everyone was just lounging around on the ground.

I developed a major crush on Grouper that night, which is pretty embarrassing. I snooped around on her social media a little bit the next day and she is a great advocate for the indigenous community in Oregon, which is awesome. Also, I had no idea that she performed as the opener for AnCo during the MPP tour. I wonder how those large audiences interacted with her performances...
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1140

Post by undo Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:45 pm

WP64 wrote:I did catch Grouper's show though on Friday night at the Chicago Athletic Association and was absolutely blown away. Such an amazing experience. It was a really intimate little ballroom and everyone was just lounging around on the ground.

Wait, when was this?

Last edited by undo on Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:38 am; edited 1 time in total
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:04 pm

I'm not deep into Grouper's catalog, but the stuff I love I love very much. Her singles over the past few years have been super.

She lives in Astoria, OR where the Columbia River meets the Pacific Ocean. It's supposed to be a very spooky coastal town. I thought about visiting a few times, but went to other coastal towns instead.

At some point I latched onto this song:

"The love is enormous" affects me.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Post by reuben Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:10 pm

Home of the Goonies iirc.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:18 am

undo wrote:
    WP64 wrote:I did catch Grouper's show though on Friday night at the Chicago Athletic Association and was absolutely blown away. Such an amazing experience. It was a really intimate little ballroom and everyone was just lounging around on the ground.

Wait, when was this?
    It was on Friday night at about 8pm on the 7th floor of the Chicago Athletic Association. It was randomly announced a couple of weeks before the show.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 283
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:27 pm

I assumed it would be Lolla but it looks like stereolab is using Pfork fest for it’s chicago stop. Guess the city of Milwaukee will be receiving money from me in October... it’s insane that Chicago misses so many awesome summer concerts just so we can have all of those artists play a festival over a weekend a few times throughout the season for $300... shorter sets in ungodly heat and sun for more money??? It’s also the worst way to experience any type of music. Anything beyond about 100 ft from the stage sounds shitty and the further out you go the more sound bleed starts to have an effect. On top of that it’s the worst way to experience most drugs! Only alcohol works in large crowds.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 2:41 pm