reuben
24 posters

[solved]and I hate modern music, disco boogie and pop

Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 993
    DispositionRock Guitars

[solved]and I hate modern music, disco boogie and pop - Page 2 Empty Re: [solved]and I hate modern music, disco boogie and pop

Post by Ned Braden Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:25 pm

All my lesbian friends want to bang Pink. I can't blame them.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

[solved]and I hate modern music, disco boogie and pop - Page 2 Empty Re: [solved]and I hate modern music, disco boogie and pop

Post by chrondog Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

now this is true top 100 jam

yancy
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Post by yancy Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:04 am

Feels good to be nearly a decade ahead of internet pop connoisseurs on Pink fandom. Not feeling that Nate Ruess duet, though.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:58 pm

i don't think there's a single Pink song that i would choose to put on at any time for any occasion
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 809
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:53 pm

I thonk Pink's been coasting on good will since just before discovering Cirque De Soleil but that new joint is fresh levels of unlistenable.

undo wrote:I can't bring myself to listen to anything more from The Fray.

these days I'm all about The Script

Spoiler:
    Wait is this Stephan Jenkins.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:40 pm

Spoiler:
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1138

Post by undo Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:11 pm

Spoiler:

I want to make you feel wanted.

Neutral 
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:24 pm

undo wrote:
    Spoiler:

surprised that The Singles Jukebox didn't give this at least a 7.5

listening to this again now at work

the final minute of this song is torture
    monotony
    monotony
    Vanity-published Eco-horror Fiction Writer

Pizzas : 65

Post by monotony Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:00 pm

Despite that Pink feat. fun. song being a huge commercial hit, I don't think I've ever actually heard it before. Kinda cruddy, I prefer Pink when she does the whole generic "fuck the world" thing backed by something Max Martin has thrown together.

Weirdly she is hugely popular in Australia, she's playing 45 arena shows here in the next few months and did nearly sixty the last time she was here.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:22 am

That has got to be a series of typos.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:33 am

3 out of the 4 fun. songs I've heard annoy me terribly (the other one was not that good).

I kind of want them to have a long and immensely-popular career, I'm just curious to see what the experience of living through something like could teach me.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 993
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:03 am

I absolutely hated that We Are Young Song, then out of the blue and for no reason I can understand, I decided it's great and I like it. And that moment occurred long after I'd learned that the band are basically just some bros.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:59 pm

They continue to be something I don't need in my life.
    monotony
    monotony

Post by monotony Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:48 am

They're awful, and that's all there is to it.
    yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:13 pm

Now that "We Are Young" has been played to death, it's hard to imagine I'll ever choose to listen to fun. again. But I'll still gladly take their Queen by way of Glee baroque pop over every tuneless wreck with a shoehorned rap verse on the top 40.

Last edited by yancy on Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
    rubberman
    rubberman
    Gash Hound

Pizzas : 4

Post by rubberman Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:24 pm

pink has sung 'family portrait' so she's alright in my book
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:00 pm

Not enough Queen, way too fucking much Glee baroque pop (which to be fair, means any at all).
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:50 pm

yancy wrote:every tuneless wreck with a shoehorned rap verse

hey now
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:01 am

Spoiler:
    monotony
    monotony

Post by monotony Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:28 am

jasperness wrote:
    yancy wrote:every tuneless wreck with a shoehorned rap verse

hey now

yeah i'm team chrono here
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:07 pm

Spoiler:

this song follows me everywhere
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:56 pm

Spoiler:

Homophobia is real, the world is a dangerous place for kids like you, and you won't survive without the support of someone like me compassionate enough to actually accept you.

I wanna see you be brave. No, I don't want to see you overcome bullshit prejudices or change society because that would put me out of a job. Just be brave, okay?
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:09 am

Heard a Macklemore song along the same lines today. It was terrible but I found it hard to fault because "its heart was in the right place."
    yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:26 am

Finally heard that song a couple nights ago. My ears were in the wrong place.
    monotony
    monotony

Post by monotony Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:13 am

I have already penned thoughts on "that Macklemore song" elsewhere, but, to summarise: though it has a few things going for it ("heart in the right place"; Mary Lambert (who is a lesbian) doing a nice job of singing the hook), it has a lot more things going against it (monolithic portrayal of "hip hop" / "black" culture as homophobic; straight white privileged male assuming the role of preacher to the hip hop community; corny, John Mayer "Waiting On The World To Change" chords over and over).

Basically I think there is a racist undercurrent to it. I can post links to a bunch of thinkpieces on the matter if anyone has any interest (which I would think unlikely)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:00 am