Gene Bootcut
yancy
Duff...
reuben
24 posters

[solved]and I hate modern music, disco boogie and pop

yancy
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Pizzas : 342

[solved]and I hate modern music, disco boogie and pop - Page 3 Empty Re: [solved]and I hate modern music, disco boogie and pop

Post by yancy Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:13 am

monotony wrote:monolithic portrayal of "hip hop" / "black" culture as homophobic
    As generalizations go, fairly otm.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 810
    DispositionSunny.

[solved]and I hate modern music, disco boogie and pop - Page 3 Empty Re: [solved]and I hate modern music, disco boogie and pop

Post by Duff... Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:51 pm

Guess it's a good thing I didn't listen so closely.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1140

Post by undo Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:25 pm

Spoiler:

apparently this was a huge hit and critics loved it
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:45 pm

it was in fact a #1 song in 2007

i have enjoyed it from time to time, Keyshia Cole is better tho
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:56 pm

Spoiler:

Maybe I just hate piano ballads?

Yes, I know this wasa huge hit and lol at me for piling on all the hate this guy gets but tbh I'm oddly fascinated by some of his songs ("Grenade," "Locked Out of Heaven"). I just hate this song, in particular.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:04 pm

That Alicia song sure is one embarrassing vocal performance.

Bruno Mars has been a touch less anonymous since his stylistic change but I still don't understand his ubiquity.
    yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:38 pm

undo wrote:Maybe I just hate piano ballads?
    With good reason.

undo wrote:Yes, I know this wasa huge hit and lol at me for piling on all the hate this guy gets but tbh I'm oddly fascinated by some of his songs ("Grenade," "Locked Out of Heaven"). I just hate this song, in particular.
    Sounds like you're into the best Bruno Mars songs. But yeah, like Duff said, don't get his ubiquity. I guess he's the closest thing this decade has to a Princesque singer/instrumentalist/songwriter/producer quadruple threat.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:45 pm

Spoiler:

ugh
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:47 pm

Spoiler:

They sound nothing at all alike, but the opening piano chords of this song always make me think of the beginning of "Video Games" and the letdown I feel a few seconds later is always the harshest realm.

It took me a long time to figure out what this song was, hear it every day at work but the lyrics are very difficult to understand. Rihanna used to have such a distinctive voice, now whenever I hear a particularly shitty song and don't know who it's by, it turns out to be her. This has happened like 3 times now, or at least it feels that way.
    monotony
    monotony
    Vanity-published Eco-horror Fiction Writer

Pizzas : 65

Post by monotony Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:20 pm

stay is actually the only thing i would really rep for on unapologetic, that and the future song i s'pose
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:01 pm

jasperness wrote:i don't think there's a single Pink song that i would choose to put on at any time for any occasion
    Am I the only person who solely thinks of her as the bird who recorded 'Just Like a Pill'. I remember her making a 'comeback' like half a decade later, but not how any of the songs went.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:34 pm

Solely? Probably.

monotony wrote:stay is actually the only thing i would really rep for on unapologetic, that and the future song i s'pose
    Pretty much. Though I don't see why the dude who wrote the song felt he should bust in on the second verse. Or anyway why anyone let him.

Was curious what Undo felt about the cover Low did of that track.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:11 pm

I've only ever listened to one album by that band. It was the one with a vase of flowers on the cover and it didn't do anything for me and I haven't sook out their music since.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:57 pm

I kind of wondered if it was a baseless association but you honestly were the first person I thought of when I heard it. This is a weird life we've chosen.
    yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:54 pm

Haim haters best not watch SNL on November 23rd! Of course, people like that probably hate SNL already. Show has been on for 28 years and is always the worst it's ever been.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:40 pm

Score.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:41 am

apparently this is the number one song in Germany right now

also the first song they did in an ultra-saxey version

sax is bax
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:21 am

Elevator music grafted onto a sketch of a pop song.
    yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:48 pm

Duff... wrote:Elevator music grafted onto a sketch of a pop song.
    Color me intrigued! gotchagamin
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:03 pm

elevator music has gotten a bad rap over the years
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:07 pm

i would basically listen to any barebone house number with repetitive sax hooks and this is proof of that

i will also listen to anything that was the background of a soccer player's youtube highlight reel
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:19 pm

#elevatorist
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:34 pm

jasperness wrote:elevator music has gotten a bad rap over the years
    Probably true but I think this is the sort of thing is where the reputation comes from. Nothing happens.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:52 pm

repetition is an amazing tool of art.

also agreed that despite my interest in those tracks they are middle of the road at best. i just don't listen to that much music anymore and have nothing to talk about.
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Pizzas : 161
    Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:50 am

yancy wrote:Haim haters best not watch SNL on November 23rd! Of course, people like that probably hate SNL already. Show has been on for 28 years and is always the worst it's ever been.
    Don't get those folks. SNL is riding a crest right now.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 8:28 am