General World News Dumping Ground

ClosetOfExhaustion
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Have You Heard?

Pizzas : 275
    Dispositiondisposed

General World News Dumping Ground Empty General World News Dumping Ground

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:54 am

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/07/16/the-amazing-surprising-africa-driven-demographic-future-of-the-earth-in-9-charts/?Post+generic=%3Ftid%3Dsm_twitter_washingtonpost

(lots of charts, worth reading all the way through)

some harrowing stuff in these predictions (which, of course, are just predictions based on a group within the UN, so who knows how accurate or valid they'll turn out to be). anyway...

techno raj
    techno raj
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 228

General World News Dumping Ground Empty Re: General World News Dumping Ground

Post by techno raj Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:17 am

I have to think the world will become friendlier to immigration/emigration as the world population continues to increase. It just makes too much sense, both for wealthy and poor countries.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Post by reuben Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:38 pm

Norwegian rocker Varg Vikernes arrested in French anti-terror swoop
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:47 pm

ClosetOfExhaustion wrote:http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/07/16/the-amazing-surprising-africa-driven-demographic-future-of-the-earth-in-9-charts/?Post+generic=%3Ftid%3Dsm_twitter_washingtonpost

some harrowing stuff in these predictions (which, of course, are just predictions based on a group within the UN, so who knows how accurate or valid they'll turn out to be).  anyway...

whenever i'm trying to pretend to be smart, i tell people that India, not China, is our greatest economic competitor and potential partner of this century. they are a much more Westernized people than the Chinese which helps them integrate into the West's hegemonic economic structures.
    Pete Best
    Pete Best
    Solid Bro

Pizzas : 116
    DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:57 am

ClosetOfExhaustion wrote:http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/07/16/the-amazing-surprising-africa-driven-demographic-future-of-the-earth-in-9-charts/?Post+generic=%3Ftid%3Dsm_twitter_washingtonpost

some harrowing stuff in these predictions (which, of course, are just predictions based on a group within the UN, so who knows how accurate or valid they'll turn out to be).  anyway...

Have great difficulty accepting that first chart, the fertility rate in Africa will continue at current rate for the next 80 years. Don't think so.

All these charts should have very large (30%) margins of error by the time they are reaching 2100.
    Bruegel
    Bruegel
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 453

Post by Bruegel Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:26 am

I fucking hope so. Having been to Tanzania, the prospect of that country sustaining 270m fills me with dread.

Dodoma 2100 : Hell on Earth
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:32 am

What were you doing in Tanzania and what is that country like?
    Bruegel
    Bruegel

Post by Bruegel Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:46 am

I was going to Zanzibar to be best man at a mates wedding. We were really well looked after and it was a full-on island paradise setting for a wedding but my brief bits of exposure to poverty on the mainland were probably the grimmest I've experienced.

My mates mother works for the Red Cross and she took us to a school she works with in a slum on the outskirts of Dar es Salaam. It was horrific but life affirming. Drought, Aids and malnutrition just look like words on a screen but when you see first hand the devastation the wreak on people's lives its physically sickening. Really hard to avoid crying when you see the strength of the human spirit and will to survive in the face of this shit.
    Bruegel
    Bruegel

Post by Bruegel Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:48 am

^this was 2006, btw. DeS has put on a couple of million since then.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:39 pm

Damn that is some dire observations. I was curious since I've not known anyone that visited the country and only have the info from articles I've read.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:53 pm

Detroit files for bankruptcy.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:24 pm

Do people in the UK care about this Guardian / Greenwald vs. The Government story. One thing to detain a bro's Brazilian man slave but another to force a paper to destroy documents.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:31 pm

i'm surprised by the number of left wingers who are going after Greenwald for minor indiscretions or appearances of impropriety or not being "journalistic" enough when he's literally fighting the new world order from behind a laptop.

people have no kind of perspective at all when it comes to holding power accountable, in my opinion. we try and hold individuals up to the highest level of scrutiny because it's easy to assign blame to that individual. we tend to let organizations or institutions off for much greater levels of wrongdoing and injustice just because the fuckup was collaborative. i think that's backwards.
    Pete Best
    Pete Best
    Solid Bro

DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:35 pm

Nick wrote:Do people in the UK care about this Guardian / Greenwald vs. The Government story. One thing to detain a bro's Brazilian man slave but another to force a paper to destroy documents.
    They should but no other news paper is touching the story as;

- It's August, or silly season, Parliament is in recess, kids are off school all month and most businesses accept it's an unproductive month and not much real news happens. Instead we get stories about Diana being murdered, Great White Sharks off Cornwall along with big cat sightings and paragliding Russian donkeys.
    - All the right wing newspapers despise The Guardian for blowing the whistle on phjone-hacking and leading to The Leveson Inquiry. These papers can now claim, with straight faces, that the 'chilling effect of Leveson' means they can't publish the names of people arrested under Operation Yewtree if they haven't been charge.

They'd change their tune if happened to one of there reporters. British newspapers are not fans of the reverse ferret, don't forget that up to the end of Aug '97 Diana was a disgusting slut for having a relationship with a Muslim in some quarters of the press.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:10 pm

Imagine being a soldier and you finally got the fuck out of Iraq and Afghanistan and now hearing about "surgical air strikes" on Syria.

Does anyone believe we will drop a few bombs and then let rebel forces take over without ground support or a promise to build infrastructure. Similar to the other war bullshit politician speak?

Using chemical weapons is disgusting but I mean fuck military spending at this point and killing more people.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 809
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:46 pm

I feel ya, but fuck.

Pretty much waiting for Raj to sort this out for us.
    techno raj
    techno raj
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 228

Post by techno raj Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:59 pm

I'm the lopp expert on international affairs now? :wat:

Like Iraq there's no real good outcome to this because it's based on long-brewing ethnic tensions that were merely repressed by the dictatorship. If Obama tries to sell it as more like Libya than Iraq we'll really be in trouble.

Fuck you, François Georges-Picot and Mark Sykes!! Ha-rumpf.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 993
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:30 pm

Ugh. Shit's been harshing my mellow Norway vibes. Fuck forward deployed status.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 809
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:15 pm

raj gibson wrote:I'm the members-only Ninja Turtles Fan Forum expert on international affairs now? :wat:
    You've earned a bit of reputation for sober analysis in difficult, charged situations and general know-it-all-ism.

I think "This isn't Libya" has been the motto since day one, considering how far this has gotten with little overt American intervention. Guess the question is is it worse to get tangled up in another mess or to let chemical weapons be wielded with little consequence?
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:25 pm

Nick wrote:Using chemical weapons is disgusting
    i honestly don't think they should be treated any differently than "conventional weapons"

100 people killed by gas is the same as 100 people blown up by a tank, in my view

Duff... wrote:Guess the question is is it worse to get tangled up in another mess or to let chemical weapons be wielded with little consequence?
    latter latter latter latter latter
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:29 pm

raj gibson wrote:Fuck you, François Georges-Picot and Mark Sykes!! Ha-rumpf.
    it all goes back to the Crimean War man!! Napoleon III was the beginning of the end for Europe.

a critically underappreciated 19th century conflict in terms of the balance of power at the turn of the 20th century
    Pete Best
    Pete Best
    Solid Bro

DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:03 am

Got to side with Jasper here, almost the same amount of people were killed in Egypt in one day by tanks and bullets. Killing children with chemical weapons is reprehensible but what is the aim here? Clearly in Libya it was reigeme change.

With Syria, and the whole post Arab Spring Middle East, America and it's allies do not know whether they'd prefer hostile democratic governments or friendly tryrants.
    Pete Best
    Pete Best
    Solid Bro

DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:15 am

The odd thing in all this is that Ed Miliband has stopped any air strikes happening this weekend. I think waiting for the UN is the right thing to do (it always is in fact unless it's you being invaded) whether they will point the finger at Assad or the rebels if they are certain CW have been used is another.

The politics of saying no to a US President, a Democrat no less, as Leader of The Opposition and leader of The Labour Party is an interesting one. Especially if it results in someone informing The Times that "No 10 and the Foreign Office think Ed Miliband is a f***ing c**t and a copper-bottomed shit".
    yancy
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Post by yancy Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:03 pm

Nick wrote:Does anyone believe we will drop a few bombs and then let rebel forces take over without ground support or a promise to build infrastructure. Similar to the other war bullshit politician speak?

Using chemical weapons is disgusting but I mean fuck military spending at this point and killing more people.
    The Onion feels you, Nick.
    http://www.theonion.com/articles/so-whats-it-going-to-be,33662/

Bashar Al-Assad wrote:So, What’s It Going To Be?
    COMMENTARY • Opinion • ISSUE 49•35 • Aug 28, 2013
    By Bashar Al-Assad

General World News Dumping Ground 90

Well, here we are. It’s been two years of fighting, over 100,000 people are dead, there are no signs of this war ending, and a week ago I used chemical weapons on my own people. If you don’t do anything about it, thousands of Syrians are going to die. If you do something about it, thousands of Syrians are going to die. Morally speaking, you’re on the hook for those deaths no matter how you look at it.

So, it’s your move, America. What’s it going to be?

I’ve looked at your options, and I’m going to be honest here, I feel for you. Not exactly an embarrassment of riches you’ve got to choose from, strategy-wise. I mean, my God, there are just so many variables to consider, so many possible paths to choose, each fraught with incredible peril, and each leading back to the very real, very likely possibility that no matter what you do it’s going to backfire in a big, big way. It’s a good old-fashioned mess, is what this is! And now, you have to make some sort of decision that you can live with.

So, where do I begin? Well, this is just the tip of the iceberg, but let’s start with the fact that my alliance with Russia and China means that nothing you decide to do will have the official support of the UN Security Council. So, right off the bat, I’ve already eliminated the possibility of a legally sound united coalition like in Libya or the First Gulf War. Boom. Gone. Off the table.

Now, let’s say you’re okay with that, and you decide to go ahead with, oh, I don’t know, a bombing campaign. Now, personally, I can see how that might seem like an attractive option for you. No boots on the ground, it sends a clear message, you could cripple some of my government’s infrastructure, and it’s a quick, clean, easy way to punish me and make you look strong in the face of my unimaginable tyranny. But let’s get real here. Any bombing campaign capable of being truly devastating to my regime would also end up killing a ton of innocent civilians, as such things always do, which I imagine is the kind of outcome you people would feel very guilty about. You know, seeing as you are so up in arms to begin with about innocent Syrians dying. Plus, you’d stoke a lot of anti-American hatred and quite possibly create a whole new generation of Syrian-born jihadists ready to punish the United States for its reckless warmongering and yadda yadda yadda.

Okay, what else? Well, you could play small-ball and hope that limited airstrikes to a few of my key military installations will send me the message to refrain from using chemical weapons again, but, c’mon, check me out: I’m ruthless, I’m desperate, and I’m going to do everything I can to stay in power. I’d use chemical weapons again in a heartbeat. You know that. And I know you know that. Hell, I want to help you guys out here, but you gotta be realistic. Trust me, I am incapable of being taught a lesson at this point. Got it? I am too far gone. Way too far gone.

Oh, and I know some of you think a no-fly zone will do the trick, but we both know you can’t stomach the estimated $1 billion a month that would cost, so wave bye-bye to that one, too.

Moving on.

I suppose you could always, you know, not respond with military force at all. But how can you do that? I pumped sarin gas into the lungs of my own people, for God’s sake! You can’t just let me get away with that, can you? I mean, I guess you easily could, and spare yourself all of this headache, but then you would probably lose any of your remaining moral high ground on the world stage and make everything from the Geneva Conventions to America’s reputation as a beacon for freedom and democracy around the world look like a complete sham.

And, hey, as long as we’re just throwing stuff out there, let’s consider a ground invasion for a moment. Now, even if you could reasonably fund a ground invasion, which I’m pretty sure you can’t, what exactly would such an invasion accomplish in the long term? I suppose it’s possible that you could come in and sweep me out the door and that would be the end of it. It’s possible. You know, like, in the sense that seeing a majestic white Bengal tiger in the wild is possible. Or, more likely, you could find yourself entrenched in a full-blown civil war that drags on for 15 years and sets off further turmoil in the rest of the region, leading to even more dead bodies for your country and mine, and even more virulent hatred of America. In fact, boy, maybe this is the one option that should be totally off the table.

Oh, and speaking of me being toppled from power, let’s say, just for fun, that tomorrow I were to somehow be dethroned. Who’s in charge? Half of these rebel groups refuse to work with one another and it’s getting harder to tell which ones are actually just Islamic extremists looking to fill a potential power vacuum. We’ve got Christians, Sunnis, and Shias all poised to fight one another for control should I fall. You want to be the ones sorting through that mess when you’re trying to build a new government? I didn’t think so.

So, all in all, quite the pickle you’re in, isn’t it? I have to say, I do not envy you here. Really curious to see where you go with this one.

I’ll leave you with this: I am insane. Not insane enough to generate worldwide unanimity that I cannot remain in charge of my own country. That would make this a lot easier. No, unfortunately, I’m just sane and stable enough to remain in power and devise cunning military and political strategies while at the same time adhering to a standard of morality that only the most perverse and sociopathic among us would be capable of adopting. But nevertheless, I am insane, so do with that information what you will.

Long story short, I’m going to keep doing my best to hold on to my country no matter what the cost. If that means bombing entire towns, murdering small children, or shooting at UN weapons inspectors, so be it. I’m in this for the long haul. And you will do...whatever it is you’re going to do, which is totally up to you. Your call.

Anyway, let me know what you decide. I’ll be waiting.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 993
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:17 pm

Speaking of Syria and The Onion, I think we should all take a moment of pause to enjoy this True American Dog-esque piece of work:

General World News Dumping Ground ScreenShot2013-08-29at221401_zps1d270d52

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:06 pm