reuben
Ted Falconi
31 posters

Television Discussion Thread

chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Television Discussion Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: Television Discussion Thread

Post by chrondog Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:00 pm

Ted Falconi wrote:It's good though.  Not everyone can be Monty Python or Jon Hamm and Adam Scott.
    i appreciate their perspective. they're riding the latest wave of ironic commentary that is slightly more fresh than the last round of sketch comedy shows that came out (like Key & Peele, Portlandia, etc.) i thought the sketch where they were in the bar drinking water talking about how they like girls butts and personalities was a good example of that. they're looking for ways to put a "modern, sensitive man" spin on the traditional bro-comedy you would expect from a troupe of all white guys.

sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. they have some excellent performers though and Odenkirk is really good in the roles he's been in.
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 259

Post by jesus jones Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:20 pm

scandal is fun
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Have You Heard?

Pizzas : 275
    Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:29 pm

jesus jones wrote:scandal is fun
    i just started watching this w the gf a few nights ago so we'd have a show to watch together. i thought the first 2 eps were sorta ok, but i can see this getting better.
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 259

Post by jesus jones Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:38 pm

it's just a soap opera, but it's really fun and moves at a breakneck pace
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:07 pm

I read an article about The Birthday Boys that made me want to watch it, but both tend to vastly prefer comedies that aren't sketch based and should really get around to watching Mr Show before I explore the rest of Odenkirk's oeuvre.
    quip
    quip
    Jasper's Yurt of Enlightened Conversation

Pizzas : 74

Post by quip Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:09 pm

I was excited to have seen this announcement today:

http://www.slashfilm.com/amc-ordering-preacher-pilot/
    quip
    quip

Post by quip Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:12 pm

Also, I'm halfway through Season 5 of Breaking Bad and finishing it because I feel obligated to not because it's terribly interesting any longer.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:56 pm

Soma wrote:I read an article about The Birthday Boys that made me want to watch it,  but both tend to vastly prefer comedies that aren't sketch based and should really get around to watching Mr Show before I explore the rest of Odenkirk's oeuvre.
    i disagree. sketch comedy dates really horribly and you'll enjoy watching new BDay Boy's more than old Mr. Shows imo.

i'm a fanatic of the sketch genre though.
    Ted Falconi
    Ted Falconi
    Shiek

Pizzas : 394

Post by Ted Falconi Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:59 pm

I watched Doctor Who for about five minutes one time in the early 80s.  I think I might give it another try this week.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 812
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:21 pm

The longest I ever watched Dr. Who was an episode involving a very attractive red-haired woman which was completely coincidental I'm sure.
    yancy
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Post by yancy Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:31 am

I watched a couple episodes on WTTW a few years ago to see what all the fuss was about. Some of the most unapologetically dorky genre fiction I've ever been subjected to. Granted, I haven't seen a lot of the stuff those people are into, which I just assume is terrible. Like Firefly or whatever.
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Pizzas : 161
    Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:47 pm

Ted Falconi wrote:I watched Doctor Who for about five minutes one time in the early 80s.  I think I might give it another try this week.
    I watched a couple episodes yesterday for the first time. Just picked up from the beginning of the most recent series. It's certainly dorky - Firefly is a decent comparison - but I like parts of it a lot. Charming.
    quip
    quip

Post by quip Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:56 pm

The quality of Dr Who can vary so much by episode. For those that are interested in viewing it, here's a good overview thread on Reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/1rbmab/eli5_dr_who_basic_premise_history_popularity_and/
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 997
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:33 pm

Southpark is still an amazing show. Sometimes I am guilty of taking it for granted.

In the middle of watching that episode from last season where Cartman plays matchmaker for Token and the new black chick at the school. Great stuff.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 997
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:43 pm

Oh my god guys

http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s16e08-sarcastaball
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 876

Post by zappo Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:15 pm

Darlene Love will be on Letterman, tonight. As always, it will soon have been the best thing on television, this year.
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Have You Heard?

Pizzas : 275
    Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:55 pm

zappo wrote:Darlene Love will be on Letterman, tonight.  As always, it will soon have been the best thing on television, this year.

unfortunately this'll also be the first time in 14 years that Jay thomas isn't also there to tell the best story ever and to throw footballs at a meatball atop an xmas tree

zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:56 pm

Yeah, I know. Total bummer. But, you know, Darlene Love.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:38 pm

This was pretty boss, by the way. She was great, and John McEnroe did a solid job filling in for Thomas. A good time was had by all.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Post by reuben Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:21 pm

I've been enjoying the new Dr. Who series and would like to try some older serials but I'm not sure where to start.  Can anyone tell me what that one is called where The Doctor drives around in an old police car running down Daleks and blasting the Devils' goal song? I've only seen a clip but it looks brilliant.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 980

Post by Nick Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:22 pm

Arrow continues to be a lot of fun to watch. So glad the CW launched this when Smallville ended.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Post by reuben Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:15 pm

I just had a really smart idea.  Can one of you LoPPbros with protools help me do a mashup of "Brass Bonanza," "Doctorin the Tardis" and the '05 Dr Who theme?

This is a serious inquiry.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:25 am

Still plowing through Breaking Bad! The Season 4 stretch of Ep 3 Open House through Ep 6 Cornered has been some of the most uninteresting, meandering television I can recall.

When Walt bought Walt Jr. the car I was on the floor laughing. What a stupid fucking show.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:26 am

"Wait a minute Jesse, I'm really smart. Maybe that heroic act you did was a set up!!!"
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:10 pm

Nick wrote:When Walt bought Walt Jr. the car I was on the floor laughing. What a stupid fucking show.

i would buy your book of Breaking Bad episode recaps that just tear every episode to shreds

time to rewrite the canon, Nick

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 12:47 am