reuben
Ted Falconi
31 posters

Television Discussion Thread

chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Television Discussion Thread - Page 28 Empty Re: Television Discussion Thread

Post by chrondog Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:48 pm

I honestly called the entire episode based on the preview after last week. This show is so damn obvious at this point lol.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1140

Post by undo Mon May 13, 2019 12:00 pm

Re: Cobra Kai

I think they’re overselling Johnny as an ex-80s metalhead.

The only time we actually see him listening to music in the original film (the scene where he’s rolling a joint in the bathroom stall at the school Halloween dance, moments before Daniel soaks him with a hose), this is what was playing on his Walkman.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Mon May 13, 2019 12:17 pm

I saw that Television played the Old Town School of Folk Music, recently. Saw them with Paves, Sausage, Efrim, and various girlfriends, like six years ago. A truly, and quite surprisingly, awful performance.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 995
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Fri May 24, 2019 9:40 pm

I’m any number of decades late to this discussion, but I think I’m falling in love with Doctor Who.

They seem to always alternate between legitimately amazing and shitty in the absolute best and most entertaining way possible. The acting is very good. The plots are occasionally bizarre, often half baked, but always... pretty awesome? The costumes, special effects, and creatures, too, have struck this unique balance... they’re often laughably silly and stupid, occasionally just really amazing and well done, and always the best kind of entertaining. And there’s this underlying, Star Trekkian sort of humanistic goodness that shines through every moment, occasionally making for no-shit deeply moving television.

I’m only a couple episodes into (modern) series three, and I’m fully onboard at this point.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 283
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Fri May 24, 2019 10:29 pm

Whose the actor that plays the doctor in your current season? The Donna Noble season was one of my favs from the modern era. The episode ‘Turn Left’ is equal parts hilarious and terrifying.

Edit: drunken babble deleted. 4-0
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Fri May 24, 2019 10:39 pm

I’m on David Tennant right now. He was pretty awesome right outta the gate, but liking him more and more. Way more of a cool guy than Tennant’s character in the popular Jessica Jones tv show.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 283
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Fri May 24, 2019 10:55 pm

I believe him and Matt Smith (next doctor) are the best. Those seasons felt the most cohesive, weird, and fun. Enjoy!
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Pizzas : 161
    Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Sat May 25, 2019 12:26 pm

I've only watched Matt Smith's episodes, but I loved them dearly. I started with the the ninth doctor and couldn't find my sea legs, skipped right over Tennant, and stuck around for a few episodes of #12. Smith is the only one that stuck, but I'll go back at some point I imagine.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Post by reuben Sat May 25, 2019 7:00 pm

Sorry guys but the Matt Smith/Moffatt era was awful. Eccleston and Tennant were good.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Post by reuben Sat May 25, 2019 7:01 pm

Russell T. Davies and Capaldi would have been amazing.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Post by reuben Sat May 25, 2019 7:02 pm

It all went downhill when River Song became the focus
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 810
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sat May 25, 2019 7:30 pm

My opinion of this show based on catching the last minute sometimes when it was on before Check Please! is that Karen Gillan is a charming woman.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 67
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Sun May 26, 2019 10:04 am

I've heard Chernobyl is amazing. Is anyone here watching it?
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sun May 26, 2019 12:12 pm

zappo wrote:I saw that Television played the Old Town School of Folk Music, recently.  Saw them with Paves, Sausage, Efrim, and various girlfriends, like six years ago.  A truly, and quite surprisingly, awful performance.

I saw them back in like 2001 or something and I remember standing there completely dumbstruck the whole time, like "I can't believe it's CBGB's legendary band Television, and now they're getting to the best parts of the epic guitar solo of "Little Johnny Jewel," one of the most important moments of the NYC punk rock explosion!" I was totally insufferable.

That show was punctuated by more broken guitar strings than any other I can remember.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Tue May 28, 2019 12:43 pm

Duff... wrote:Check Please!

Need more discussions of this show, IMO. Is it Check Please! Chicago out there or do they have a suburban version as well? Check Please! Bay Area rules. My friend recently took a selfie with the host of the show lol.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Tue May 28, 2019 2:24 pm

They just call it Check Please! here, and I kinda think it started here. Hosted once again by Alpana Singh, the youngest ever grand sommelier*, Chicago legend, and the original Crush of the SOMB Revealed courtesty of Midnite Vulture*. Me and the lil lady went to an event they had maybe six years ago at this point and we saw her 20 feet away looking amazing but neither of us could will ourselves to actually talk to her. Most of the places are in the city though they go out to the burbs sometimes. Definitely lots of "Man, we need to go there" inspired by this program.

*If I recall correctly.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue May 28, 2019 3:39 pm

sombie Theremin (?) was one of the four guests on an episode iirc
    petey
    petey
    Still has http://lotsofpeopleposting.teensboards.com bookmarked

Pizzas : 49

Post by petey Tue May 28, 2019 4:01 pm

I think Binko(?) or Binkobongo or whatever his name was (I think he was a wedding photographer?) was on the show and recommended Xni Pec in the western suburbs
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue May 28, 2019 4:41 pm

I was sure it probably wasn't Theremin but I never would have remembered that name.

I do remember he had an Asian soft drink advertisement for an avatar.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Tue May 28, 2019 5:00 pm

Duff... wrote:They just call it Check Please! here, and I kinda think it started here. Hosted once again by Alpana Singh, the youngest ever grand sommelier*, Chicago legend, and the original Crush of the SOMB Revealed courtesty of Midnite Vulture*. Me and the lil lady went to an event they had maybe six years ago at this point and we saw her 20 feet away looking amazing but neither of us could will ourselves to actually talk to her. Most of the places are in the city though they go out to the burbs sometimes. Definitely lots of "Man, we need to go there" inspired by this program.

*If I recall correctly.

Of course:

Wikipedia wrote:Check, Please! is a multi-Emmy Award winning restaurant review program that began on Chicago's PBS member station WTTW in 2001. The show's popularity inspired spin-offs in several other markets. A San Francisco version of the show, Check, Please! Bay Area, began its first season in 2005, airing on KQED.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Tue May 28, 2019 7:33 pm

undo wrote:I was sure it probably wasn't Theremin but I never would have remembered that name.

Man, forgot all about that. Binko didn't come up immediately but I knew it couldn't be Theremin because I remembered it being someone people liked.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue May 28, 2019 7:36 pm

petey wrote:I think Binko(?) or Binkobongo or whatever his name was (I think he was a wedding photographer?) was on the show and recommended Xni Pec in the western suburbs

Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Pizzas : 161
    Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:44 am

WP64 wrote:I've heard Chernobyl is amazing. Is anyone here watching it?

Just finished it. Entirely worth the 5-6 hrs it takes to watch the whole thing, and - even though no stone goes unturned - I wish it ran longer. IMO, not a single misplaced note in the thing. Enthralling drama, engrossing history lesson, and a sobering reminder of the captivating power of lies.

I'm now listening to the podcast w/ the host of "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" - he's less douchey than I thought - and the showrunner, Craig Mazin. It's good too. Even though they go ep-by-ep with the podcast, I'd wait until I finished the miniseries to dig in. Obviously, this isn't the sort of thing that's too vulnerable to a spoiler alert, but they get into some structural narrative stuff that I was happy to experience with fresh eyes.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:17 pm

Ned Braden wrote:Doctor Who.

Holy god the penultimate scene in the museum with Bill Nighy in the Vincent Van Gogh episode

tearsofjoy tearsofjoy tearsofjoy tearsofjoy
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:39 am

This might be the worst thing I’ve ever seen on television

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 6:17 am