reuben
Ted Falconi
20 posters

THE 2016 US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION

undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1144

THE 2016 US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION - Page 17 Empty Re: THE 2016 US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION

Post by undo Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:45 pm

Or he'll be like "Hillary lied & the troops died!" and some more emails will leak just when she's making headway and this will continue to be an actual contest 4 some God-4saken reason.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 67
    DispositionIntransigent

THE 2016 US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION - Page 17 Empty Re: THE 2016 US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION

Post by WP64 Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:24 am

Guys, Trump is just putting nuclear armageddon on the table as an existential threat to all of humanity so that he can negotiate some sick trade deals.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:32 pm

polling shows that more Democrats support "free trade" than Republicans, which might be the single most insane and unexpected policy development of this whole cycle.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 812
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:02 am

I feel like free trade as a point of contention has been vastly overrated this election cycle and so it seems that I'm not the only one who quietly thinks so.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:26 pm

Duff... wrote:I feel like free trade as a point of contention has been vastly overrated this election cycle and so it seems that I'm not the only one who quietly thinks so.
    U might be right but it is an interesting point of departure 4 the Republican Party. After Trump's electoral defeat, it will be interesting if the GOP embraces this isolationist, anti-globalization sentiment or just tries to discard it with the rest of Trump.

As 4 criticisms of the TPP, I think the most obvious problem is the 'Investor-State Dispute Settlement' provision, which allows 4 the corporate lawyers of multinational corporations to sue countries 4 loss of profits. This has been used already by cigarette companies to sue countries 4 loss of profits and remove labeling that warns against the harmful medical effects of cigarette smoke. Overall, the criticism is that the TPP would put too much power into the hands of multinational corporations and it would make it difficult, legally, 4 national governments to regulate products and it also would allow 4 corporations to sidestep environmental protection standards pretty easily. Given the political climate and Trump's economic populist messaging, he is going to stress the effects that it would have on American workers whose jobs will be shipped overseas, which is also true.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:53 am

I think it makes more sense to criticize particular aspects of a particular trade deal than to just issue a blanket rejection of trade deals in general, which 4 the most part benefit both/all countries involved. As 4 the jobs, it's just like with the coal industry: We simply need to find something else 4 these people to do.

As U can probably tell this isn't a subject I'm particularly well-read on.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:22 pm

Duff... wrote:As U can probably tell this isn't a subject I'm particularly well-read on.

But somehow U're right on the money. Trade deals R designed to benefit all the parties on the net. Even though each nation can C a net benefit, there will still be winners and losers at more localized levels. The issue, to me, is that the left hasn't done enough to identify and support the losers of globalization and NAFTA. Whether it's job insurance, lump sum transfers, college/trade school credits, or new job training, the Democrats should be doing something to help individuals who worked in the auto industry, manufacturing, or fossil fuels. To let them stew in their discontent is the wrong policy.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:17 am

chrondog wrote:
    Duff... wrote:As U can probably tell this isn't a subject I'm particularly well-read on.

But somehow U're right on the money. Trade deals R designed to benefit all the parties on the net. Even though each nation can C a net benefit, there will still be winners and losers at more localized levels. The issue, to me, is that the left hasn't done enough to identify and support the losers of globalization and NAFTA. Whether it's job insurance, lump sum transfers, college/trade school credits, or new job training, the Democrats should be doing something to help individuals who worked in the auto industry, manufacturing, or fossil fuels. To let them stew in their discontent is the wrong policy.
    Yeah, I think that's going to be especially important 4 any future Progressive movement to grapple with. I'm not sure what realistic solutions actually R. How feasible is new job training 4 coal miners, 4 example? I do think that a nationalistic candidate like Trump can make use of these same critiques 4 really dangerous political ends (i.e. Brexit), which is kind of scary as well.

Duff, I really liked your last post in the SOMB thread, especially the last paragraph. I'm eagerly awaiting Fender's response.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:48 pm

Ҩ wrote:How feasible is new job training 4 coal miners, 4 example?

more feasible than telling them "get fucked"
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:52 pm

Ҩ wrote:
    Yeah, I think that's going to be especially important 4 any future Progressive movement to grapple with. I'm not sure what realistic solutions actually R. How feasible is new job training 4 coal miners, 4 example? I do think that a nationalistic candidate like Trump can make use of these same critiques 4 really dangerous political ends (i.e. Brexit), which is kind of scary as well.

I'm short on specifics, but these people do want to work and R willing to do very dangerous and health-wrecking labor. Old customs die hard but I think many of these workers would be receptive to safer, more stable work if we could arrange it.

Ҩ wrote:
    Duff, I really liked your last post in the SOMB thread, especially the last paragraph. I'm eagerly awaiting Fender's response.

Kinda used Fender as a punching bag 4 all general pro-Trump issues I've been confronted with all year, and it was probably too much. But thanks.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:45 am

I didn't mean to suggest that it would be workers unwillingness that would throw a wrench in job training programs. The question is what would we be training these workers to do. How realistic is it to imagine training large sectors of the working class to find new work that isn't extremely monotonous, tedious, and ultimately degrading?
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Have You Heard?

Pizzas : 275
    Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:22 am

Ҩ wrote:

i was glad i went to read this. U created content that drove traffic!
    dubstep bumpin flyinghigh howyadoin
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:07 am

Maybe one day I'll make something like that 4 my own website.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:09 am

I can't believe his response.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:32 am

Fender replies to Duff
    U won't believe his response!
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:28 pm

Ҩ wrote:I can't believe his response.

Seriously flailing.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:10 am

I can't get over the Human Rights Campaign's endorsement of Mark Kirk over Duckworth. What a fucking joke that is.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:28 am

Forgot about that. Idiots.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:34 pm

wait what
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:50 pm

As I recall, HRC (not the former secretary of state) graded Duckworth higher on LGBT issues than Kirk, but went ahead and endorsed Kirk anyway because he isn't completely awful on that issue (as opposed to, say, foreign policy) and they think this will encourage similarly "moderate" republicans to be not completely awful on this issue. Which is so fucking stupid of HRC.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:38 pm

Goddamn, I'm so glad Warren is in the Senate 4 things like this.
    tjenz
    tjenz
    Bass Player from Creepy D

Pizzas : 80

Post by tjenz Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:54 am

If Warren had run, I think she would have beat Clinton. The race against Trump would be a landslide in her favor.

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:24 pm

I'm not convinced. The hyperpartisanship of this century almost ensures there won't be any landslides, and it's hard to imagine republicans and swing voters breaking more 4 a liberal candidate.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:09 am

Remember when the biggest anti-progressive/status quo force in our society was Evangelical Christians and it felt like an unmovable hurdle that we were all but resigned to having to helplessly wait out a few decades before we'd ever be able to make any meaningful government reforms and positive, meaningful changes to our society? Like, when it all just came down to abortion and that was terrible but it was also okay because U'd drive by the clinics and C how old all the protesters sitting in their lawn chairs were and U could almost put together a timetable about how long it was going to take 4 us to get universal healthcare and reform our justice system.

Just as millennials have completely forgotten exactly what happened between 2001 and 2009 and how the exact same lax and smug above-it-all attitude they have right now was completely responsible 4 all of that, maybe I'm starting to gloss over just how genuinely shitty so many of those values voters were even though I spent years practically stewing in their shit and pretending to like it. But at least they weren't proud racists and didn't know how to use the Internet and were mostly decent human beings, which I can now accept but I'm nowhere close to being able to deal with what's taken their place.

At least if I'm still barely employed in November I won't have to leave the house the morning after because there's no way I'm repeating the same scene from 12 years ago when I clocked in and then went off on this pathetic rant to a coworker who was just taking his coat off about how I just couldn't believe that this had happened and how could people not C what was going, etc. It was really sad but I guess it was kind of cute how naive I was. Maybe nothing's changed.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:43 am

How do U think U guys would feel if Trump was assassinated?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 8:06 am