28 posters

Book Thread

petey
    petey
    Still has http://lotsofpeopleposting.teensboards.com bookmarked

Pizzas : 49

Book Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: Book Thread

Post by petey Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:58 am

I have. I don't really remember much about it but I think it fits the bill for light easy reading. I liked the stuff about his late 60s and 70s output. I don't think I cared about the rest of his life.
    techno raj
    techno raj
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 231

Post by techno raj Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:25 pm

Book Thread - Page 13 51kFDf%2BOghL

Found this engrossing in the middle bits but thought it stopped short in the end; although maybe I just wanted to read more? Southeast England sounds like a terrifying place.
    Bruegel
    Bruegel
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 453

Post by Bruegel Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:17 pm

I was sure I posted about that book on here but I can't find it. Must have been on the old board.

Anyway, I know I really enjoyed it but I do remember feeling that the journey was a lot more rewarding than the destination. My abiding memories of it a few years later are flashes comic absurdity and a lingering malignance.
    Bruegel
    Bruegel
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 453

Post by Bruegel Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:21 pm

found it...

Bruegel wrote:I just ploughed through Nicola Barker's Darkmans:

Book Thread - Page 13 N163235

So violent and motley was life that it bore the mixed smell of blood and roses

A hugely enjoyable 800+ page blast of linguistic energy, peopled by a procession of compellingly bizarre characters, not least the 500-year-old court-jester who haunts the entire tome. Loved the oozing creep of the past through the cracks in the crumbling reality of the present. Loved the carnival-like balance of the entertaining and the macabre. Found some of the linguistic devices a bit jarring at first but they soon justify themselves as an intrinsic fabric of the rich tapestry. Recommended.

study  study  study Book Thread - Page 13 Bookersh

Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:35 pm

Book Thread - Page 13 Parklife_london_big

Read the first fourteen pages in between halves at a sports pub. The writing didn't grab me but I should probably just start the whole thing again.

Keep going. A classic. Keith Talent is one of the most richly imagined comic figures in late 20th Century English letters.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Mon May 04, 2015 8:14 am

This weirdo on the train next to me is reading some shitty business book on a Monday morning and using Post-Its to mark shit he thinks is important.
    vIv
    vIv
    Volunteer worker

Pizzas : 89

Post by vIv Mon May 04, 2015 3:20 pm

Soma wrote:Book Thread - Page 13 Parklife_london_big

Read the first fourteen pages in between halves at a sports pub. The writing didn't grab me but I should probably just start the whole thing again.

Keep going.  A classic.  Keith Talent is one of the most richly imagined comic figures in late 20th Century English letters.
    quip
    quip
    Jasper's Yurt of Enlightened Conversation

Pizzas : 74

Post by quip Tue May 05, 2015 12:45 pm

Nick wrote:This weirdo on the train next to me is reading some shitty business book on a Monday morning and using Post-Its to mark shit he thinks is important.
    I read some blog once where the author (some start-up founder) said the way to read business books is to just read the summary and a few of the reviews on Amazon that list the key takeaways when they are recommended to you. It was solid advice and now I can talk about "hedgehog" concepts with coworkers without having had to plow through 200 pages of shit I don't really care about.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut

Post by Gene Bootcut Tue May 05, 2015 5:44 pm

Soma wrote:

Keep going.  A classic.  Keith Talent is one of the most richly imagined comic figures in late 20th Century English letters.

I was pretty confused about how these words I didn't type made their way into my post, lol. Will do!
    techno raj
    techno raj
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by techno raj Sun May 10, 2015 10:14 am

London Fields is the rare book where I loathed every character but was never not fully engaged in the story. Kind of a neat trick for an author to pull.

Bruegel wrote:I was sure I posted about that book on here but I can't find it. Must have been on the old board.

Almost certainly how it got on my list - thanks.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut

Post by Gene Bootcut Sun May 10, 2015 12:43 pm

raj gibson wrote: Southeast England sounds like a terrifying place.

This is not a statement that I imagined I would ever encounter about that region and it makes me wonder what you read about it. All the posh conservatives with their... scary voting habits?
    techno raj
    techno raj
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by techno raj Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:04 pm

Soma wrote:This is not a statement that I imagined I would ever encounter about that region and it makes me wonder what you read about it. All the posh conservatives with their... scary voting habits?

I don't know if I can do the book justice but it contrasts some characters who are super-conscious of history to the degree they are metaphorically (or arguably even literally) possessed by it, on one extreme, and then on the other, this weird post-Chunnel-construction modern era of forgotten history where Ashford is kind of this bland culture-less exurban space... it's never front and center in the story but it's always bleeding through with these historical buildings destroyed, all kinds of problems with overdevelopment of roads, issues with imitation and forgery, characters who are weirdly divorced from their own family/community histories...

raj gibson wrote:
    Bruegel wrote:I was sure I posted about that book on here but I can't find it. Must have been on the old board.

Almost certainly how it got on my list - thanks.

I'm thinking I might have gotten this one from here as well. Extremely funny, couldn't put it down.

Book Thread - Page 13 22232678
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1140

Post by undo Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:54 am

Someone wrote a book 200-page book about Juiceboxxx.

http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/787-when-you-love-juiceboxxx-so-much-you-write-a-book-about-him/
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 810
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:10 am

Initially thought this was about the Strokes song.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:38 pm

You're not alone.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut

Post by Gene Bootcut Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:36 pm

Went on a bit of a book buying spree at my local second hand shop. Didn't really know anything about any of these titles when I purchased them:

Aphra Behn - Oroonoko, The Rover and Other Works
    Sybille Bedford - A Legacy
    Michael Allaby - Facing the Future: The Case for Science
    Martin Amis - Experience
    Alan Bennett - Three Stories
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Pizzas : 161
    Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:31 pm

I read Oroonoko in a class at university. Thematically and historically super interesting, but it's old writing - from the late 1600s, I think - and more of a chore than most everything else I read in that class, stuff like Robinson Crusoe, William Blake, Coleridge/Wordsworth, Wuthering Heights, Robert Burns, etc. That's all I'm familiar w/ from your list though, though I'd be curious to hear if you like the other stuff as I'm currently in a book rut - starting everything and finishing very little. Any suggestions welcome from any direction. I'm looking for something fun, but w/ substance. Something that makes me feel smarter while I'm reading it, but is easy/compelling enough that I could devour it in 30-100pg chunks. Motherless Brooklyn, Moneyball, Watchmen, Tropic of Cancer - those all sorta fit the bill in one way or another.
    petey
    petey
    Still has http://lotsofpeopleposting.teensboards.com bookmarked

Pizzas : 49

Post by petey Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:45 pm

I'm currently reading "I Sailed With Magellan" by Stuart Dybeck. Short stories about growing up in the Little Village area of Chicago in the 60's and 70's. I'd highly recommend it even though it doesn't have much in common with those books you mentioned.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 67
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:46 pm

Michael K. wrote:I read Oroonoko in a class at university. Thematically and historically super interesting, but it's old writing - from the late 1600s, I think - and more of a chore than most everything else I read in that class, stuff like Robinson Crusoe, William Blake, Coleridge/Wordsworth, Wuthering Heights, Robert Burns, etc.  That's all I'm familiar w/ from your list though, though I'd be curious to hear if you like the other stuff as I'm currently in a book rut - starting everything and finishing very little. Any suggestions welcome from any direction. I'm looking for something fun, but w/ substance. Something that makes me feel smarter while I'm reading it, but is easy/compelling enough that I could devour it in 30-100pg chunks. Motherless Brooklyn, Moneyball, Watchmen, Tropic of Cancer - those all sorta fit the bill in one way or another.  
    Did you ever get around to 2666? It's super long but really approachable and super fun. That is probably the most fun I ever had reading a book. I think back on it all the time too.
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Pizzas : 201

Post by C-poots Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:48 am

I just started reading Satantango after a long break from literature. I haven't covered enough ground to offer a valuable opinion on it yet, has anyone read this book (Brugs)?
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut

Post by Gene Bootcut Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:18 pm

Michael K, I think Experience may be exactly what you're after. Really deftly written, but also fast paced and totally readable. I don't know if you've read any of Kingsley Amis's books, or if a pseudo biography that's really just a regular autobiography from his son would be of any interest to someone who hasn't, but I managed to snap out of my own reading drought for long enough to get tthough 60 pages in one sitting, so... Idk, maybe?
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Post by C-poots Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:36 pm

Changed my mind on Satantango, decided to read King of Capital about the growth of Blackstone and Stephen Schwarzman, of which the widely known branch of the New York public library is now named after. It isn't the most insightful read, not nearly as engaging as a Michael Lewis hit or Barbarians at the Gate, but for someone interested in Private Equity and the finance industry, its a quick and enjoyable read I guess.
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Post by C-poots Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:47 am

The Blackstone book did, as WP64 call, turn out to be extremely boring. Not because of the subject matter, but in the droll, nearly pointless information that was highlighted. I've since switched over to reading Meet You In Hell, which details the relationship between Andrew Carnegie and Henry Clay Frick. As far as biographies go, this one is easy to read and informatively entertaining.

Getting back into reading again too, either going to tackle The Recognitions or Ulysses next unless I decide to re-buy and re-read Catch 22, a book I've never actually finished despite loving the first go around.

zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:26 am

Joyce or Homer?
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Post by C-poots Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:19 am

Joyce, my man. Read the Odyssey in preparation for the Joyce some time back but I highly doubt Im anywhere near prepared to get even a tenth of the latter on first read.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 8:56 pm