Duff...
undo
23 posters

At what point in your life did you get your shit together

undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1132

At what point in your life did you get your shit together Empty At what point in your life did you get your shit together

Post by undo Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:41 pm

Post yr tales of hope and redemption here
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 806
    DispositionSunny.

At what point in your life did you get your shit together Empty Re: At what point in your life did you get your shit together

Post by Duff... Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:06 pm

Won't pretend I really have it together, but I'm certainly better than I was a decade ago, and it really helped to have a woman around.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

At what point in your life did you get your shit together Empty Re: At what point in your life did you get your shit together

Post by Gene Bootcut Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:26 pm

I think I've hit my lowest ebb.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:27 pm

I can't even look at happy carefree people having fun and living life anymore. It's too annoying.
    quip
    quip
    Jasper's Yurt of Enlightened Conversation

Pizzas : 74

Post by quip Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:47 pm

back in my late teens/early 20s when i didn't have my shit together and was living hand to mouth i didn't notice or care about this. now that i sort of have my shit together, i feel like i'm a long, long way off before i would feel comfortable.
    yancy
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Pizzas : 342

Post by yancy Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:55 pm

^ Exactly this. Late 30s are the sweet spot of having just enough and being smart enough to realize how close to collapse your seemingly comfortable middle class existence is, if one or two big things go wrong. Or maybe it's the poker player in me that's been conditioned to think "there but for the grace of god variance..."
    yancy
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Post by yancy Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:58 pm

Brings to mind a pinball friend who (barely) works for his dad's massively successful company, and was recently given his xmas bonus check of $365k. Not a typo. Your shit doesn't have to be together when you fall out of the right womb.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 987
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:41 pm

Been slowly going in the opposite direction for the last 12 years, but I still maintain the illusion pretty well.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:00 pm

It's funny imagining myself being able to contribute to this thread. That's how far away I am from ever getting my shit together. It's unimaginable.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:03 pm

The only thing I know for sure is that it would be unconscionable to ever have kids and bring more life onto this earth. That's my idea of having my shit together.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:34 am

phixed wrote:back in my late teens/early 20s when i didn't have my shit together and was living hand to mouth i didn't notice or care about this. now that i sort of have my shit together, i feel like i'm a long, long way off before i would feel comfortable.

i feel the opposite. i spent my youth caring about school, got into a good college, graduated, and have been working since. obviously it wasn't very neat and tidy while it was all happening and there were ups and downs. i don't "have it together" right now. but i think i have reasonably utilized my middle class background and my parent's support to be incredibly "normal". i live with my parents, have never been outside the United States and, for the forseeable future, am working part time at a government agency doing administrative work.

just makes me feel pretty numb.
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Wandering Dragon

Pizzas : 259

Post by jesus jones Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:08 pm

i'm just now starting to get my shit together

i feel like it's a constant reevaluation of what I want out of life and how to weed out the things that hinder my ability to approach what i want

having a partner certainly helps
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 977

Post by Nick Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:31 pm

Career wise my late 20s. Still in my early 30s and starting to consider my personal life.
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Have You Heard?

Pizzas : 275
    Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:16 pm

same as nick.
    Dan Sausage
    Dan Sausage
    Solid Bro

Pizzas : 92

Post by Dan Sausage Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:13 pm

career-wise right after college at 22.
    otherwise still working on it but i'd say most of the last eight months i've been in a pretty good place.
    damo suzuki
    damo suzuki
    Still has http://lotsofpeopleposting.teensboards.com bookmarked

Pizzas : 61

Post by damo suzuki Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:53 pm

Would say pretty early on for me. Guess about mid 20s, when I was fully living on my own was that point.

Though wasn't really like noticeable or a big moment of realization. At least not at the time. Just kinda happened and seemed pretty logical/linear continuation of stuff.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:58 pm

Welcome aboard.
    DBaggins
    DBaggins
    Stock Boy at Marshall's

Pizzas : 28

Post by DBaggins Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:19 am

Bruegel
    Bruegel
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 453

Post by Bruegel Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:18 am

getting through that bit just after uni when everything fell apart and I was like Charlie Croker teetering on the brink.

I've very much enjoyed gradually getting my shit together in 13 years since that near miss/reprieve

still a bit of a loon though
    Bruegel
    Bruegel
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 453

Post by Bruegel Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:19 am

Hi Damo cheers
    coyote
    coyote
    A classically handsome man's man in the Huey Lewis mold

Pizzas : 99

Post by coyote Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:25 pm

"getting your shit together" is an ego phrase. when does one ever "get their shit together?" what happens when you do, do you rest on your laurels and reap the benefits of a "together" life? not gonna happen. all experience and all life is insecure. life isn't about getting to a place, it's about going and experiencing.

the day i say i have my shit together, shoot me in the fucking head please
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1132

Post by undo Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:33 pm

Who is coyote?
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 987
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:01 pm

For me "getting your shit together" is a decent phrase that can be used for pretty much any grownup accomplishment, like ironing a shirt, or cooking food with a vegetable in it. No need to like, get all condescending and lord it over everybody, but sometimes it's ok to feel good about gettin shit done.
    Paves
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 181

Post by Paves Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:07 pm

undo wrote:Who is coyote?

Avec?
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:44 am

Questioning the utility of having your shit together is the luxury of those who have their shit together. Or at least those who've risen out of the dankest depths.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:39 am