Duff...
undo
23 posters

At what point in your life did you get your shit together

coyote
    coyote
    A classically handsome man's man in the Huey Lewis mold

Pizzas : 99

At what point in your life did you get your shit together - Page 2 Empty Re: At what point in your life did you get your shit together

Post by coyote Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:25 pm

"getting your shit together" is an ego phrase. when does one ever "get their shit together?" what happens when you do, do you rest on your laurels and reap the benefits of a "together" life? not gonna happen. all experience and all life is insecure. life isn't about getting to a place, it's about going and experiencing.

the day i say i have my shit together, shoot me in the fucking head please
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1138

At what point in your life did you get your shit together - Page 2 Empty Re: At what point in your life did you get your shit together

Post by undo Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:33 pm

Who is coyote?
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 993
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:01 pm

For me "getting your shit together" is a decent phrase that can be used for pretty much any grownup accomplishment, like ironing a shirt, or cooking food with a vegetable in it. No need to like, get all condescending and lord it over everybody, but sometimes it's ok to feel good about gettin shit done.
    Paves
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 181

Post by Paves Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:07 pm

undo wrote:Who is coyote?

Avec?
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 809
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:44 am

Questioning the utility of having your shit together is the luxury of those who have their shit together. Or at least those who've risen out of the dankest depths.
    damo suzuki
    damo suzuki
    Still has http://lotsofpeopleposting.teensboards.com bookmarked

Pizzas : 61

Post by damo suzuki Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:07 pm

any grownup accomplishment, like ironing a shirt
    LOL.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:42 am

I am interviewing two people today. One has included their GPA on the resume and the other their frat and how they organized their university homecoming.

These are young people getting their shit together.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:37 pm

Past 3 weeks have repeatedly confirmed that I do not, in fact, have my shit together.

Need to take a few drastic, or at least powerfully symbolic, changes in my life in the very near future.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:38 pm

Nick wrote:I am interviewing two people today. One has included their GPA on the resume and the other their frat and how they organized their university homecoming.

These are young people getting their shit together.

The kids are coming up from behind.
    yancy
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Pizzas : 342

Post by yancy Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:49 pm

undo wrote:Need to take a few drastic, or at least powerfully symbolic, changes in my life in the very near future.
    Looking forward to the private forum thread.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:08 am

undo wrote:Past 3 weeks have repeatedly confirmed that I do not, in fact, have my shit together.

meanwhile, this kid was one year behind me in high school and was a friend of a friend

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P._J._Fleck
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 809
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:26 am

Wiki hasn't caught up yet but I bet that dude's life is falling apart.
    Ted Falconi
    Ted Falconi
    Shiek

Pizzas : 394

Post by Ted Falconi Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:44 pm

This guy was in my grade from jr. high on, and he and his brother were legends in Illinois high school soccer in the 80s:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Snow

The answer to this question, btw, is "opened a pizza place in Indianapolis".
    And yes, epic assholes, both of them.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:56 am

The guy makes a living selling pizza and you're calling him an "epic asshole." eh

Is it just really bad pizza?
    Paves
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 181

Post by Paves Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:44 am

My guess is that there are other things about their personalities that make them assholes. Did that not occur to you?
    Ted Falconi
    Ted Falconi
    Shiek

Pizzas : 394

Post by Ted Falconi Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:03 am

I don't know if the pizza is good or not. Pizza is usually good, so I assume his is delicious.
    I don't judge people on how much money they make selling pizza, but rather how they conduct themselves. Wikipedia entries are usually pretty flattering of their subjects. Steve Snow's refers to him as a 'cocky twerp', and from my experience, that's an extremely charitable summary of his personality.

That Papa John guy has made himself super rich from selling pizzas. He also happens to uncontroversially be a complete total and utter asshole.
    damo suzuki
    damo suzuki
    Still has http://lotsofpeopleposting.teensboards.com bookmarked

Pizzas : 61

Post by damo suzuki Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:02 am

I've heard the Papa Johns guy called an asshole before. But is it all really rooted in the fact the guy was against ObamaCare?

Seems like I barely heard trash talk about Papa John till this year because of that Obama thing.

Papa Johns and Dominoes are pretty neck-n-neck for what I consider the worst pizza possible.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:58 am

Most frozen pizzas are one hundred times worse.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:37 pm

At what point in your life did you get your shit together - Page 2 29570151279653539799672
    techno raj
    techno raj
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 228

Post by techno raj Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:10 pm

I don't like the Papa Johns dude either but there's some false equivalence at work in that comparison
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:31 pm

Someh wrote:Most frozen pizzas are one hundred times worse.

there's some false equivalency in this comparison too

frozen pizza is delicious even though it makes me feel like i'm eating wood shavings
    coyote
    coyote

Post by coyote Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:48 pm

undo wrote:
    Need to take a few drastic, or at least powerfully symbolic, changes in my life in the very near future.

How about:
    - looking into some of the things that make you "small" and start doing the extreme opposite (if you don't talk much at all to people, talk all the time to them, if you dont want to spend time with people, spend a ton of time with them, if you spend too much time at the computer stop or completely limit it, go slow if you normally go fast, etc).
    - call up a family member that caused you pain in the past and confront them. this can change your life
    - pick one activity that you are afraid to do (karoake, public speaking, performing at open mics) and do that every day for two weeks
    - read about true heroes (MLK, Ghandi, Bonhoeffer, etc) and study the Hero Archetype. realize no one truly becomes human painlessly. Meditate on how you can become the PERSONAL hero. what do you need to work on, give up, sacrifice, develop, create, in order to become this vision?
    -take time to develop a strong inner world that is impervious to the bullshit of the outer culture.
    -do something random and bizarre every weekend (go to a mosque for services, stand at the top of the hancock building and meditate, build a sacred shrine in the forest and create a ritual).
    -develop rituals in your life that create meaning in your actions. YOU can CREATE meaning in your life.
    coyote
    coyote

Post by coyote Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:55 pm

you sir, need to get CRAZY!
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:02 pm

You pay taxes and support a massive war machine that is killing Afghan children. You're not a hero and you are never going to be.
    coyote
    coyote

Post by coyote Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:08 pm

wp64 wrote:You pay taxes and support a massive war machine that is killing Afghan children. You're not a hero and you are never going to be.

You are not going to save everything with your actions, true. Heroes come in all shapes and sizes.

not implying by dropping out of college to start a blog or something is on the level of MLK. but still if it's where you truly need to be then take the chance

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:20 pm