Duff...
undo
23 posters

At what point in your life did you get your shit together

chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

At what point in your life did you get your shit together - Page 3 Empty Re: At what point in your life did you get your shit together

Post by chrondog Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:31 pm

Someh wrote:Most frozen pizzas are one hundred times worse.

there's some false equivalency in this comparison too

frozen pizza is delicious even though it makes me feel like i'm eating wood shavings
    coyote
    coyote
    A classically handsome man's man in the Huey Lewis mold

Pizzas : 99

At what point in your life did you get your shit together - Page 3 Empty Re: At what point in your life did you get your shit together

Post by coyote Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:48 pm

undo wrote:
    Need to take a few drastic, or at least powerfully symbolic, changes in my life in the very near future.

How about:
    - looking into some of the things that make you "small" and start doing the extreme opposite (if you don't talk much at all to people, talk all the time to them, if you dont want to spend time with people, spend a ton of time with them, if you spend too much time at the computer stop or completely limit it, go slow if you normally go fast, etc).
    - call up a family member that caused you pain in the past and confront them. this can change your life
    - pick one activity that you are afraid to do (karoake, public speaking, performing at open mics) and do that every day for two weeks
    - read about true heroes (MLK, Ghandi, Bonhoeffer, etc) and study the Hero Archetype. realize no one truly becomes human painlessly. Meditate on how you can become the PERSONAL hero. what do you need to work on, give up, sacrifice, develop, create, in order to become this vision?
    -take time to develop a strong inner world that is impervious to the bullshit of the outer culture.
    -do something random and bizarre every weekend (go to a mosque for services, stand at the top of the hancock building and meditate, build a sacred shrine in the forest and create a ritual).
    -develop rituals in your life that create meaning in your actions. YOU can CREATE meaning in your life.
    coyote
    coyote

Post by coyote Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:55 pm

you sir, need to get CRAZY!
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:02 pm

You pay taxes and support a massive war machine that is killing Afghan children. You're not a hero and you are never going to be.
    coyote
    coyote

Post by coyote Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:08 pm

wp64 wrote:You pay taxes and support a massive war machine that is killing Afghan children. You're not a hero and you are never going to be.

You are not going to save everything with your actions, true. Heroes come in all shapes and sizes.

not implying by dropping out of college to start a blog or something is on the level of MLK. but still if it's where you truly need to be then take the chance
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:27 pm

Probably the only thing worth doing is not focusing on self-improvement and try to collectively organize action against something you have a grievance towards. If you want to be happy then you have to do that by being happy with others.

The happiness that comes with "getting your shit together" is not happiness but security. Security is important as well, but should not be mistaken for some sort of flourishing happiness.
    coyote
    coyote

Post by coyote Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:33 pm

right now i'm just thinking that 'getting your shit together' can be defined as seeking out what you really want to achieve either personally or for others and taking action to do so.

the self improvement you think is not part of the process i would think would be crucial (seeking knowledge, taking better care of yourself, changing by going through extremes, experiencing pain of breaking from cultural norms and so on). it is one and the same as getting your shit together.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:44 pm

Yeah, but to go about applying your definition of self-improvement to the context of this thread is dangerously anachronistic. The majority of the thread is devoted to various boarders talking about finally achieving financial security and now being able to focus on emotional needs.
    coyote
    coyote

Post by coyote Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:32 pm

wp64 wrote:Yeah, but to go about applying your definition of self-improvement to the context of this thread is dangerously anachronistic. The majority of the thread is devoted to various boarders talking about finally achieving financial security and now being able to focus on emotional needs.

so i'm outside of the majority opinion on what getting your shit together entails and i'll live with that.
    Bruegel
    Bruegel
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 453

Post by Bruegel Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:36 pm

have you moved back into your own house yet avec?
    coyote
    coyote

Post by coyote Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:37 pm

Bruegel wrote:have you moved back into your own house yet avec?

yeah, lol
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:54 am

coyote wrote:go to a mosque for services

i've always thought something like this would be cool. like, just tour places of worship on Saturday or Sunday mornings. it gives you something to get up and something powerful and different to experience.
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 259

Post by jesus jones Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:04 pm

wp64 wrote:You pay taxes and support a massive war machine that is killing Afghan children. You're not a hero and you are never going to be.
    jesus fucking christ, dude

you need to start picking your battles and realizing that being so incredibly dour is going to fucking kill you
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:13 pm

Have you ever noticed... all our information is controlled by the people who misinform us... that's fucked up
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:35 pm

Coyote - I'm curious to know if you follow Umair Haque (@umairh) on Twitter and what your thoughts are regarding his outlook for this generation. Assuming of course, you use that website.
    coyote
    coyote

Post by coyote Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:14 am

Nick wrote:Coyote - I'm curious to know if you follow Umair Haque (@umairh) on Twitter and what your thoughts are regarding his outlook for this generation. Assuming of course, you use that website.

I don't have twitter and don't really understand it. Just tried to read his posts but seemed like he was responding to some other twits, so I can't get a handle on who this guy is.

Seems like an intellectual with big ideas, I looked over the wiki entry. I give him credit for trying to change or explain how capitalism should move forward, but still have no sense about what his ideas actually are.

I am not interested in corporate strategy though. I just want to live with the culture and not in it.

I tried reading a bit of him and it's too business-speak for me.
    Anonymous
    Pierina

At what point in your life did you get your shit together - Page 3 Empty My time

Post by Pierina Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:56 pm

About a week ago, and I am still in the process. It is hard, you feel weak sometimes, but every little thing you accomplish matters. It is a matter of decision. I was tired of not using my potential of having so many dreams and not doing anything to really pursue them. You need discipline, self-confidence and understanding it is a process of consistency. The party animal is dead, I am in my first year in college. Now I know there is a balance between having a good time and just going out for inertia, careless. When you realize how much you can do, you realize your potential, only you set the limit and the guidelines. I have high goals, but none will become true if real effort doesn't come with them. It is my time, not to shine, but use all my potential to generate an impact and make my city, country and the world in general a better place.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:04 am

jesus jones wrote:
    jesus fucking christ, dude

you need to start picking your battles and realizing that being so incredibly dour is going to fucking kill you
    It's not like I live my day to day life trying to grapple with this. I am just cognizant of it and realize that it means that hero worship is pointless as long as we live within oppressive institutions.

And yeah, of course there is meaningful change that can be achieved to reform our systemic crisis and I want to assist in those 'battles'. But it shouldn't be the end goal.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:50 am

Someh wrote:Have you ever noticed... all our information is controlled by the people who misinform us... that's fucked up
    This is because all of the anarchist and Marxist literature has been hoarded by Andy T so he can unintentionally ruin his family's cruise experience.
    damo suzuki
    damo suzuki
    Still has http://lotsofpeopleposting.teensboards.com bookmarked

Pizzas : 61

Post by damo suzuki Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:35 am

Woke up at 4am this morning. Showered, had a bagel, looked at the weather report. Got dressed.

Headed off to work for 8am. Halfway there... today is Easter Sunday.

Sitting here in my pajama bottoms w/ a dress shirt, tie and dress socks still on.

I do not have my shit together at all.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:29 pm

Is it acceptable for a 30 something dude with his shit together to wear Nike Air Force 1 high tops?
    yancy
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Post by yancy Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:39 pm

I hope so! (Not a fan of high tops in particular, but I wear plenty of comparable sneakers.)
    damo suzuki
    damo suzuki
    Still has http://lotsofpeopleposting.teensboards.com bookmarked

Pizzas : 61

Post by damo suzuki Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:37 pm

Don't see why not, Nick.

Might not wear AF1s with a three piece suit or to a formal meeting/presentation. Or just work in general.

But I wear black low top AF1s all the time with jeans for average/everyday casual wear. Jeans + a clean cotton tshirt, polo or button up are pretty much AF1 fodder.
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Have You Heard?

Pizzas : 275
    Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:53 am

my big brother is getting married saturday.  i get to give a toast.

also, buying a new (used) car next week. 

also, buying a new bike in the very near future. 

feeling like my shits all in order these days.
    Pete Best
    Pete Best
    Solid Bro

Pizzas : 116
    DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:02 pm

Definitely now. Married, child, great job that pays well.

Can only go downhill from here!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:49 am