DBaggins
undo
17 posters

Late Night Sound Experiments

undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1139

Late Night Sound Experiments - Page 5 Empty Re: Late Night Sound Experiments

Post by undo Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:56 pm

bump2
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 282
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:04 am

thanks
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:08 am

hey Gardener, wanna collab? for fun, nothing serious
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 995
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:04 am

I dunno if anybody else is having this problem, but I can’t see BGwaves post on the bottom of the previous page.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:03 pm

That was my post that broke the thread. Undo fixed it somehow. I did post some new music from my SoundCloud in the 2024 music thread. I’m gonna move those over here later today.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:23 pm

https://soundcloud.com/tyger-bluegreenwaves?utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Ok, no more embedded tracks. If I create something new I'll just link it. Thanks for your patience with me, lol.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:57 pm

My first album uploaded to Bandcamp. Enjoy!

Late Night Sound Experiments - Page 5 Img_1110

BlueGreenWaves - BGW

https://bluegreenwaves.bandcamp.com/album/bgw
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 995
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:13 am

I have never really “understood” ambient music. To the extent that I am a music fan, my fandom largely revolves around songs. There have been plenty of times when a field recording or a track (non verse-chorus-verse genre) that displays wonderful sonic properties has hit me… like, “wow, that sounds really cool.” Most of these instances come when the ambient “song” is part of  a movie soundtrack… or when it’s sort of just going in the background while I do school/housework… and later I think back about how those noises were pretty cool.

But recently I’ve been thinking about what even constitutes a song. If you take a beautiful pop song and slow it down exponentially, the elements that we typically associate with “songs” are largely inaudible to my music-fan-but-decidedly-non-musician/expert ears(1)

Round about jist that I’m getting to, and I’m you’ve probably already gotten there… Is nature “a song?” Is there a recognizable structure to the ambient sounds in a meadow or in a creek… is the entire world a literal god damn song, and is that why it still feels worth living in? I’m sure that this is an idea that’s been asked many times by many folks who know more than I do…

All of this is to say, thanks for sharing BGWaves. I had a cursory half listen and moved on when I didn’t immediately identify with song structures. But I bought and downloaded and will spend some more time with it. At a minimum, the sounds are cool.

(1) but I still love listening to it! Thanks so much to which ever one of you posted Pyramid Song Slowed Down a thousand times or whatever it was
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:13 pm

Hey man, thanks!

Of course nature is a song, where do you think we learned how to play? I’m being silly but I do believe it’s historically accurate too. The original instruments were made from bones and skin so nature has always played a part in our musical heritage as humans. As for actual listening, I go for music without lyrics for the most part. I actually love a well written song but I find that so much of pop music, even the stuff I like, is filled with cliches. Now I know some of you are thinking, that’s the whole point, but I personally can only hear certain cliches a few times before I get bored or annoyed. I find ambient, experimental, lots of jazz, and post rock to be more emotional. Although wordless singing, like what was done in much of Exotica in the 60s works too. Again, for me the lyrics actually take away from the emotion in many cases. This is also just my opinion, we all like what makes us happy.

Another side to this is I like music that fucks me up when I’m high. Whether that be some crazy psych rock that turns me inside out, some ambient that’s like being wrapped in a warm blanket, or electronic music that makes me dance myself into a trance. I like the worlds beyond our world. Obviously, weed is a musical drug and lends itself to the genres I like. Alcohol, lends itself more to party music, singalongs, crying songs, etc. Although with that said having a couple 10% beers and closing your eyes while you lay back and let the musician take you away to some other land works too!
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:36 pm

BGwaves wrote:My first album uploaded to Bandcamp. Enjoy!

I've listened to this for the past several mornings while writing and sipping coffee and it's really hit the spot. I'm always surprised by how briskly it makes 32 minutes pass by.

I feel like I recently read about some "lost" Oval album from the 90s (now I'm searching the Internet for this and of course I cannot find it) and if someone told me this was it, I might believe them.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:30 am

Comparing me to one of my hero’s is high praise, thanks man!
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:20 am

https://www.last.fm/music/What+Four/_/Optimist%27s+Nightmare+(DJ+Undo+Poptimist%27s+Nightmare+remix)

https://www.last.fm/user/Unod/library/music/What+Four/_/Optimist%27s+Nightmare+(DJ+Undo+Poptimist%27s+Nightmare+remix)

Does anyone who's been able to keep their mp3 collection alive from one computer to the next still happen to have this?

Last.fm tells me I played it a few times in 2005 but I guess I must have had a hard drive crash sometime between then and the computer I got to replace it in 2009. I think I had a backup PC that someone just kind of gave to me somewhere in between there, wow I haven't thought of that in years.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:38 pm

A 22 min 'peformance'

https://soundcloud.com/bluegreenwaves/gaba-gaba-hey-receptor?si=c4b0351857454c0b879d44b39787bd0f&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

also on bandcamp as pay what you want

https://bluegreenwaves.bandcamp.com/track/gaba-gaba-hey-receptor

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 9:29 pm