Dead Thread

Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 995
    DispositionRock Guitars

Dead Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Dead Thread

Post by Ned Braden Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:46 pm

The sum total of all the moments of shittiness displayed by the dude and the band over the years (and believe me they were responsible for an immense amount of shittiness) are trumped by memories of big bang baby debuting on Q101 and dominating the top nine at nine countdown for like two straight weeks, which inspired me to ride my bike to Best Buy and buy the album. Nostalgic, good times.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 810
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:30 pm

Nick wrote:What is unfortunate is the amount of STP revisionist history going on. Did they have any great albums, were there singles that good, maybe they had 2 great albums and a dozen amazing singles and on and on.

Look, the band fucking stunk like a Members-Only Ninja Turtles Fan Forum scale 8.5 shit the dude's body isn't even cold yet. Can't people just appreciate he blew through more coke and pussy in the 90s than a band that shitty had any right to which is itself a feat to be admired?
    More of a heroin guy irc.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:33 pm

Anyway STP obvs had a lot of huge singles.
    Ted Falconi
    Ted Falconi
    Shiek

Pizzas : 394

Post by Ted Falconi Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:28 pm

undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1140

Post by undo Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:21 pm

I was hoping that was his final tweet.
    Paves
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 181

Post by Paves Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:58 pm

Most of my favorite STP memories have to do with this board.

1) Me posting "Dead & Bloated" in the "songs to take a shit to" thread and Good Dr. Bill responding with something along the lines of "I can't believe I've ever taken a shit to a song that isn't this one."

2) Sitting in Roberto 2000's basement with Zappo/Q*Bert/Idolatry watching a Scott Weiland Howard Stern interview where he's wearing this (IMO) goofyass scarf (no offense to the male indoor scarf wearers on this board):

Dead Thread - Page 2 Hqdefault

At some point Roberto 2000's future wife came downstairs, looked at the TV, and said, "THIS is what you guys are doing????"  It was pretty funny.
    Paves
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by Paves Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:26 pm

Nick wrote:What is unfortunate is the amount of STP revisionist history going on. Did they have any great albums, were there singles that good, maybe they had 2 great albums and a dozen amazing singles and on and on.

Look, the band fucking stunk like a Members-Only Ninja Turtles Fan Forum scale 8.5 shit the dude's body isn't even cold yet. Can't people just appreciate he blew through more coke and pussy in the 90s than a band that shitty had any right to which is itself a feat to be admired?

I think revisionist history is deserved in this case, though.  They were easily one of the stronger singles acts of the '90s, certainly compared to any other commonly frowned upon alt-rock/post-grunge bands.

And from what I understand, the more self-important, "A-list" alt-rock groups like the Pumpkins, NIN, Nirvana, and Pearl Jam had more critical favor at the time, while STP were seen as derivative fluff.  But nowadays a lot of those bands' albums seem longer, shittier, and more boring than ever, so I think hindsight has just strengthened the appeal of something like an STP greatest hits CD.

They sort of had a Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers thing going on.  Not shockingly original, but tuneful and consistent.  Occasionally "psychedelic."  And Scott did stick around a while, so they somewhat admirably managed to keep on keepin' on.  They've probably left a bigger stamp than Blind Melon, Soul Asylum, or the Black Crowes.  Certainly more than Sponge, Seven Mary Three, Candlebox, et al.

God bless Stone Temple Pilots!
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1140

Post by undo Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:39 pm

Duff... wrote:Unfortunate, though the only surprise is he made it this long.

I know you're a busy man but a duff?-tribute comic would really help us all through this.

Ned Braden wrote:The sum total of all the moments of shittiness displayed by the dude and the band over the years (and believe me they were responsible for an immense amount of shittiness) are trumped by memories of big bang baby debuting on Q101 and dominating the top nine at nine countdown for like two straight weeks, which inspired me to ride my bike to Best Buy and buy the album. Nostalgic, good times.

Top 9 at 9 was appointment radio for young undo.

Paves wrote:They sort of had a Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers thing going on.  Not shockingly original, but tuneful and consistent.

Would you say they did this better than the Foo Fighters (a "band" who may or may not actually aspire to this)?

Paves
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by Paves Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:41 pm

It's a logical comparison.  Foo Fighters have definitely proved to be a lot more annoying over time, what with growing more massive while sucking harder, so they have that working against them.

I think GDB did an old blog entry about the Foos and RHCP being similar as bands that refuse to go away after settling into more streamlined modes.  And that only happened because they were at some point actually looked at as having credibility, while STP were hated from the start, being seen as an over-night success ripping off "the Seattle sound."

Answer to your question is a "yes" from me.  I love the early Foo Fighters albums, but post '90s STP have pissed me off less than post '90s Foo Fighters, and as for the '90s output of both bands, it's not exactly an easy contest.  If anything, STP fare better.  But of course for years they've been a punchline, aren't led by a guy who used to be in Nirvana, have been seen as having more to do with "uncool" rock star excess than any "cool" pseudo-punk credibility a la Flea, Dave Grohl (Probot vs. Velvet Revolver vs. who the fuck has listened to either since the early '00s?), etc.

This thing speaks for itself: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thank_You_%28Stone_Temple_Pilots_album%29
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 283
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:29 pm

A classic rock star performer. Anyone who saw them live knows that Scott was a fucking treasure on stage. Dude was like part iggy pop and part Robert plant. Androgynous sex swagger but so manly while doing it. I saw them twice both times as part of a Q101 Jamboree or some shit. And I was never a huge fan of them but both times I walked away stunned.

I'll probably just cut and paste this when Chris Cornell dies.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:17 pm

I saw them open with the RHCP in Tinley Park and other than the couple times I saw Dave Matthews Band it was the shittiest concert ever.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:20 pm

undo wrote:
    Duff... wrote:Unfortunate, though the only surprise is he made it this long.

I know you're a busy man but a duff?-tribute comic would really help us all through this.

I never think to do this kind of thing. Maybe I can pound out a Kate Beatonesque single page thing in the next 24 hours, we'll see.

At no point, not in the 90's or now or any point in between, did I think Foo Fighters were half as good or as cool as STP. Maybe I'm alone in that.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:02 am

Duff... wrote:
    At no point, not in the 90's or now or any point in between, did I think Foo Fighters were half as good or as cool as STP. Maybe I'm alone in that.

You are not alone. Dead Thread - Page 2 647736119
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:02 pm

This will probably be disappointing Undo:

https://twitter.com/yeahduff/status/674270645245480961
    vIv
    vIv
    Volunteer worker

Pizzas : 89

Post by vIv Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:45 pm

"And I feel, and I feel
    When the dogs begin to smell her
    Will she smell alone?"

I've never been able decide if that little nugget is mysteriously inscrutable and poetic or just horribly bad writing.

I think it's probably the latter, right?

I liked your tribute, Duff.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Post by reuben Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:37 pm

Did they ever record a sequel to Plush, or did Weiland go to his grave with the answer to where that mask he found ended up?
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:58 pm

The sequel was called My Own Prison.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:51 am

Sick burn.

Thanks Viv.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:11 am

David Bowie died. I can't even fucking think straight right now.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:31 am

I was walking through the grocery store yesterday listening to Black Star just so fucking happy.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 283
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:46 am

I feel you Nick. I actually woke up around 4 to goto the bathroom and saw the news. I couldn't fall asleep after that because I had Starman stuck in my head on loop. I've decided to listen to all of his albums at work today, fuck my coworkers and their Flosstrodamus mixes.
    Pete Best
    Pete Best
    Solid Bro

Pizzas : 116
    DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:46 am

Felt strangely numb on hearing the news.

I woke up a little later than I normally do and had the news broken two songs into BBC 6 Music's breakfast show. Immediate contrast was with hearing the first play of 'Where Are We Now?' on that show, announced by a very excited Shaun and Matt on the second Monday of 2013.

Listened to Bowie on the way to work, "Heroes" brought a lump to my throat and 'Wild Is The Wind' made me cry.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:22 am

Staring at my phone screen in the parking lot outside work today and just don't even know what to do. Been listening to that album nonstop over the last few days and Dollar Days and shit he'd tricked me into forgetting he was even sick and thinking he was just gonna stick around and continue being brilliant forever.
    Paves
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by Paves Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:23 am

Didn't see that coming at all, but who did, really.  Crazy that Lou Reed dropped over two years ago now.  It's pretty much underway, then, so brace yourself for all your heroes to be gone by 2025.  Neil and Bob and the whole gang.  Shit is about to get ugly! "She Shook Me Cold" sounded great this morning.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:05 pm

I couldn't get through Black Star this morning. Made it the third track.

Without knowing the extent of his illness when clips of the new album and videos came out I had this insane idea that maybe things turned around. That there would be interviews and a small tour.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 10:20 am