reuben
yancy
Nick
undo
11 posters

stuff you find online that enrages you for good reasons

yancy
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Pizzas : 342

stuff you find online that enrages you for good reasons - Page 2 Empty Re: stuff you find online that enrages you for good reasons

Post by yancy Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:54 pm

I had no idea Arizona was Florida without humidity and Cubans.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

stuff you find online that enrages you for good reasons - Page 2 Empty Re: stuff you find online that enrages you for good reasons

Post by chrondog Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:08 pm

only in Maricopa County can one of the most disgusting humans ever be elected as county sheriff five times by comfortable margins on a platform of racial profiling, abuse of power, and deteriorating prison conditions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Arpaio

yancy wrote:I had no idea Arizona was Florida without humidity and Cubans.

there's more Mexicans in Arizona than there are Cubans in Florida so all the politics revolves around those issues.

all the Native American reservations in the Phoenix metro area and beyond are another wrinkle as well.
    yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:25 pm

jasperness wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Arpaio
    Oh yeah, that asshole. Forgot he was in Arizona.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:03 pm

the rap sheet of "controversies" on that wiki page exploded my head yesterday. it's almost unbelievable, but somehow still seems appropriate for Arizona.

i only spent about a week near Phoenix in April but i was surrounded by people in the parks & recreation field, who are definitely more laid back and progressive than your average Arizona resident. everyone i talked to that moved to Arizona from somewhere else in America for a job was shocked by how many fringe crazies there were and how regularly they needed to do something to prove it - like shooting shotguns at wildlife while riding ATVs on public land, or the 200+ helicopter rescues the Phoenix fire department performed in 2012 to save people trying to climb mountains with no water.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:10 pm

though parts of it are slummy, Tuscon has a lot more history than Phoenix and it's closer to Mexico so everyone isn't quite as racist. people mostly raved about Flagstaff because it's not in the Sonoran Desert (it's foresty!) and apparently it's where all the progressives live. apparently Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff is a good school and has a good community.
    monotony
    monotony
    Vanity-published Eco-horror Fiction Writer

Pizzas : 65

Post by monotony Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:59 am

undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1138

Post by undo Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:31 pm

^ruined my morning coffee experience
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:44 pm

I'm honestly not sure that I've ever heard worse music. I have no idea if that's an exaggeration and I'm being completely literal.
    yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:43 pm

I found it unlistenable for probably different reasons than the rest of you. Seriously thought something was wrong with my speakers or the stream for a minute there.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:42 pm

i had to stop the video after like four seconds
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 809
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:46 am

everybody's doing it
    monotony
    monotony
    Vanity-published Eco-horror Fiction Writer

Pizzas : 65

Post by monotony Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:40 am

there are a number of things that frustrate me about that video of which here are three:

1) for someone that makes very regular, long posts on tumblr and hipinion and i presume other places, the "feminism" presented here is very, idk, gender studies 101 / wispy / reductive
    2) the song itself is not at all in my aesthetic wheelhouse, and i find it hard to understand how it could occupy space in anyone's aesthetic wheelhouse tbh; the vocals are particularly ghastly
    3) james brooks' own girlfriend wrote and produced a spectacular song about this same topic in a way that, to me, is more interesting, subversive, beautiful and exciting (not that grimes is exactly flying under the radar or anything, but, still - leave this stuff to your gf mate)

i'm not someone who thinks being a white cisgender man prohibits you from proffering an opinion on sexism and the patriarchy and "being a feminist". But i was really surprised to see pitchfork - and especially Jenn Pelly who I generally think is a good writer - name "On Fraternity" best new music when it is talking about something very important in a way that is glib and flimsy. Apparently this is a better song than HAIM's "The Wire"! who'dathunkit.

Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:08 am

I keep getting fooled by HuffPo tweets that promote some hot actress in shorts, bikini or spandex. When I click it is always disappointing. The Julian Hough tweet this morning was the last straw.

quip
    quip
    Jasper's Yurt of Enlightened Conversation

Pizzas : 74

Post by quip Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:13 pm

Nick wrote:I keep getting fooled by HuffPo tweets that promote some hot actress in shorts, bikini or spandex. When I click it is always disappointing. The Julian Hough tweet this morning was the last straw.

Nick, subscribe to https://twitter.com/HuffPoSpoilers instead.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1138

Post by undo Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:56 pm

http://instagram.com/p/c__4-CGqxw/#

this doesn't enrage me but I don't know where else to put it
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 809
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:27 pm

Someone was karaokeing that 2 weeks ago. What the fuck is the matter with people.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:01 pm