Ted Falconi
Ned Braden
undo
ClosetOfExhaustion
Duff...
zappo
Paves
30 posters

paves, where can we find the shitty garage shows?

undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1138

paves, where can we find the shitty garage shows? - Page 7 Empty Re: paves, where can we find the shitty garage shows?

Post by undo Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:32 pm

I made half-assed plans to go to that but I was sick all week including Friday and I need to be ridiculously motivated to get out and do anything at all anymore.

What kind of experience did you have there?
    Paves
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 181

paves, where can we find the shitty garage shows? - Page 7 Empty Re: paves, where can we find the shitty garage shows?

Post by Paves Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:58 pm

The set itself was excellent.  Of course, "the usual SmartBar experience" is unavoidable and largely negative.  Last night I was reminded of how annoyed I get when I try to show up to that place late enough to miss the opener, and still end up being there for way over an hour waiting for the music that I came to hear.  And then by that point I'm ridiculously tired, so I'll dance for a while, take a break, then attempt to repeat that cycle while growing more and more irritated by the fact that people are constantly walking past me saying, "SORRY," all while I'm thinking that the set might be wrapping up soon enough when it's not even halfway through.  

But all that was made more bearable by the fact that Theo Parrish is really good and somebody who I actually listen to (and way more than most of the elder statesmen whose DJ gigs I end up passing on), so even though I was wondering when it was going to end, I was ultimately more interested in where it was going to end up and how we were going to get there, despite the fact that I had to put up with "the usual SmartBar experience" in order to find out.  Overall, I'd say that it was indeed "BANGIN'."  Lots of soul, creativity, energy, etc.

I am perfectly content with that being the only techno/house thing I've attended in like two years.
    yancy
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Pizzas : 342

Post by yancy Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:51 pm

yancy wrote:Any of you guys going to the (Aaron) Freeman show at Lincoln Hall? He's going to play a bunch of Ween songs.
    Oops, totally forgot about this.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:09 am

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/animal-kingdom-avondale-kelly-nothing-diy-underground-twin-peaks/Content?oid=15082822

I've never set foot in a thing like this, anyone ever go to it?
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:16 pm

I read an AV Club article about the Pearl Jam concert experience. The article said the other night in Milwaukee they played Yield in its entirety.

I can't believe they'd play some random shitty album and their fans were cool with it because it's all part of the kooky random live Pearl Jam experience.

I'd have yelled to Eddie to sit on a dick & walked out. Take that PJ.
    spiritofeden
    spiritofeden
    Bass Player from Creepy D

Pizzas : 31

Post by spiritofeden Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:06 pm

Yield isn't a shitty album Nick.

They played No Code in full a few nights before as well.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 809
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:07 am

Had they played Riot Act, sure.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:30 am

But Yield has "Wishlist" on it are you serious?
    spiritofeden
    spiritofeden

Post by spiritofeden Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:58 am

one of the best Pearl Jam records, IMO.

its full of top tier PJ tunes.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:12 am

PJ has a top tier of maybe 3 songs and they're all from Vs or No Code.
    spiritofeden
    spiritofeden

Post by spiritofeden Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:49 pm

Sit on a dick, Nick.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 809
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:34 pm

Nick wrote:PJ has a top tier of maybe 3 songs and they're all from Vs or No Code.
    Pretty much agree with second part of this.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:43 pm

This is the Elite Music Forum not the Jamily Jerk Off Super Center.
    Paves
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by Paves Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:34 am

Went to the Sun Kil Moon show.  Mark had his band play a "Joy Division style" rendition of "War on Drugs Suck My Cock," featuring hilarious false starts.  He also drank beer and talked about how he can't get any from young girls anymore.  Some moments were bordering on dark stand-up comedy.  "Dogs" was intense, also.  Fine performance overall.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:32 pm

This guy I used to work with has put on something called "Chill Fest" in Chicago for the second straight year. This even managed to get very minor coverage in Friday's Trib. Makes me wonder if we pooled our resources couldn't we have 12 hours of Harshest Realm at some shitty bar?
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:21 pm

paves, where can we find the shitty garage shows? - Page 7 10995830_10152680622948244_6446404897446371618_o
    Paves
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by Paves Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:24 pm

For years I've been telling myself that a Pop Group reunion would be something I'd like to check out.  But I doubt that I'm going to be attending that.

I did see Oren Ambarchi give a solo performance in a chapel at the University of Chicago last year and enjoyed it quite a bit.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:00 pm

Will there be people protesting Viet Cong?
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 282
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:02 pm

Just got my tickets for this show. Pretty damn excited.

Harmonica Dunn & Tonic Room Presents:
    Dean Ween & The Brownouts
    Mon, April 20, 2015
    Doors: 8:00 pm / Show: 8:30 pm
    $30.00

Gotta work the next day so I can't be drink too much but the smoke will be flowin'
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 282
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:04 pm

Anyone goto that Viet Cong show? Interested to find out if they can sound as good live as they do on record.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:20 am

I saw Richard Bishop, last weekend. That motherfucker can play a guitar. Gonna go see Daniel Lanois at the Empty Bottle, next month, too. Because, like, Daniel Lanois is for some reason playing at the Empty Bottle in 2015. Fingers crossed for some Simply Saucer covers.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:13 am

Saw him play before a Swans show a few years ago. Amazing guitar player!
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:56 am

D'Angelo touring but not coming anywhere near Chicago according to the initial dates released. Touring California and Europe hard though.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:11 pm

I'm surprised that he's touring at all. Maybe someday.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:12 pm

Acid Mothers Temple, tonight. I guess that I've seen all of this band's tricks, by now, but I still expect to have a pretty good, pretty stinky, pretty hairy time. I love those guys.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:52 pm