Ted Falconi
Ned Braden
undo
ClosetOfExhaustion
Duff...
zappo
Paves
30 posters

paves, where can we find the shitty garage shows?

Pete Best
    Pete Best
    Solid Bro

Pizzas : 116
    DispositionSweet

paves, where can we find the shitty garage shows? - Page 19 Empty Re: paves, where can we find the shitty garage shows?

Post by Pete Best Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:10 pm

Have that, Montana
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 282
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

paves, where can we find the shitty garage shows? - Page 19 Empty Re: paves, where can we find the shitty garage shows?

Post by BGwaves Wed May 24, 2023 8:02 pm

So I guess Podlaise, in Avondale, is the place to be these days. I’ve read a write up in the Reader that said good things and it looks like Huerco S just had a DJ set there on April 21st. I wish I had known, but I don’t keep up with this stuff anymore so it’s always after the fact. The set is up on SoundCloud
    techno raj
    techno raj
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 228

Post by techno raj Tue May 30, 2023 2:38 pm

Feeling the urge to get out to some live music this summer after years mostly away + pandemic.

Will be checking this thread. If anyone knows the easiest place to scan some show listings for the summer for Chicago, it is appreciated.
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Pizzas : 161
    Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:58 pm

My wife and I went a couple nights ago to see Pedro the Lion play every song - not in order tho - from It's Hard to Find a Friend and Control. These albums were so important to me and still are I think. It is a very strange experience to know this music inside and out and hear it live - 20+ years later - after hearing it live in so many other settings and to be moved more by the memory of being moved than the movement of the music itself in the present. Nostalgia is a real fucky thing.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 809
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:55 pm

I never got into Pedro the Lion but I've always liked them and I'm glad you guys enjoyed yourselves.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:07 pm

I’m at Lollapalooza
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:40 pm

I saw Kendrick Lamar last night. I don’t think I’ve been a part of such a communal release of energy maybe in my life?

Gonna see Pusha T later tonight.

EDIT: Pusha T was amazing.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:53 pm

Who did you go with? Whole fam, just you and the wife, or you and friends?
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:22 pm

BGwaves wrote:Who did you go with? Whole fam, just you and the wife, or you and friends?

I’m entertaining clients lol. Which means I get elevated access and perks but not quite as good as being with fam and friends.

Also, Joey Bada$$ won the festival. What a set. He brought out Chance.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 809
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:45 pm

Feel like it's been decades since I've even heard of that dude but perhaps that's my failing.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:23 am

I’m on a train home totally exhausted after 4 days of Lollapalooza. This is the first multi day festival I’ve ever attended. I’m old and have kids but I kind of get why people invest the money, time, physical toll, mental toll and oh yea the money. It’s a lot of fun.

I came away feeling that hip hop is probably the best live music experience in the history of the world and that Lana Del Rey is a fucking Queen. I love her. She fully embodies live everything I hear on her albums.

I bought a Pusha T shirt. Again, I’m old and have kids.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 993
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:13 am

I love everything that is going on in your life here, Nick.
    I'm so jealous.

I'm out of touch with the concert people in the world. I occasionally see a person with a concert t-shirt of a thing that I know I like, but because I mostly stopped boarding hard on music, I don't have much to say to them. Like, this very friendly dude who was cracking jokes and being rad at the liquor store while I was buying too much bourbon was wearing a K.R.I.T. shirt, and aside from the few K.R.I.T. songs deej put on his 2008-2010 mixtapes (guestimating on those years), I don't actually know about that musical act. So, I didn't want to engage being like, "I think that shirt is rad" on the off chance he'd be like, "yeah.. I have x, y, and z thoughts about that. What are your thoughts?"

Anyway, that's a roundabout way of saying that I'm super jealous you saw Kendrick and Pusha and Hulabalooza and that it was awesome.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:55 am

Last night was Cosmic Night at the Chicago Jazz fest. Brandee Younger laid down some incredible harp playing evoking Alice but also grooving with here own pointillist style with dazzling runs across the strings. The rhythm section may as well have been posted about in the cosmic drum and bass thread. I was 2 beers away from doing the X-Step. Next up was Nduduzo Makhathini. His style was more ritualistic and shamanic. Actually a nice counterpoint to Brandees quicker paced set. However, he spent almost 10 minutes in between one song talking about how jazz cannot be separated from the black diaspora and it was a bit of a let down. Look guy, I get it, but we are here to hear you play, not lecture. Finally, Makaya Mccraven played a bunch of material from his In These Times album. The guitarist and vibraphonist stole the set, just incredible playing, not just technical either. These are musicians who understand the right note at the right time can be just as heavenly.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:21 pm

I’m at a Janelle Monae show and she’s a goddess living on earth

Edit: i mean, obviously the wrong thread just really wanted to share
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Yesterday at 1:26 am

Gonna see the Cindy Lee show in Baltimore in early May. Pretty fucking jazzed. This is maybe the best album I've heard since Norman Fucking Rockwell! and I recall their live shows being described somewhere as akin to the Mr. Swave lip synching Roy Orbison scene in Blue Velvet so... yeah. Pretty fucking jazzed.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:49 am