Ted Falconi
Ned Braden
undo
ClosetOfExhaustion
Duff...
zappo
Paves
30 posters

paves, where can we find the shitty garage shows?

Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 810
    DispositionSunny.

paves, where can we find the shitty garage shows? - Page 18 Empty Re: paves, where can we find the shitty garage shows?

Post by Duff... Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:14 pm

So, this has never happened to me before. I was at a Get Up Kids* show last night, and they started playing a song called "Lou Barlow". When Matt Pryor sang the opening line "I saw Lou Barlow on the street" I loudly WOOOOOOed, and I guess he heard me and started cracking up. I just kinda sat there red faced for a bit. Anyway, good show.

*Yeah I'm into midwest emo, eat a dick.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1140

paves, where can we find the shitty garage shows? - Page 18 Empty Re: paves, where can we find the shitty garage shows?

Post by undo Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:44 pm

http://www.pavilionnortherlyisland.com/

Has anyone here been to a concert at this place
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:41 pm

I have. It's actually pretty amazing, on the lake with the skyline in the behind the stage.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:52 pm

Were you in a standing room only section or did you have a chair?

If you had a chair, were other people in the seating area standing (by choice) throughout the show? Guess it would depend on who was playing.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:39 pm

Standing room, in the bleachers. It was Paramore so pretty sure everyone was standing.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:40 pm

I am going to pay $35 to watch Trail of Dead play live on a webstream from their rehearsal space later this month. I get an exclusive t-shirt and they’re donating a percentage to the venues that missed out on their 2020 tour.

This is a live music experience right now and makes me a feel like I’m contributing to something.

Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:19 am

I keep failing to pull the trigger on one of those. Really just need to get over it.
    quip
    quip
    Jasper's Yurt of Enlightened Conversation

Pizzas : 74

Post by quip Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:56 pm

I'll be here tonight if anybody feels like stopping by:

paves, where can we find the shitty garage shows? - Page 18 Image_11
    techno raj
    techno raj
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 231

Post by techno raj Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:00 am

paves, where can we find the shitty garage shows? - Page 18 1f446 I obviously didn't see this in time, but if you do more of these, please post about it again! Would love to check that out.
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 259

Post by jesus jones Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:53 am

played my first show since march 2020 at a new diy space last night and got paid more than i would make on a good restaurant shift
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:22 pm

BGwaves wrote:The pitchfork Midwinter thing was a fucking joke. The installations were just speakers (in plain view) placed in the corners of some of the spces. So imagine walking around the art institute. As you walk into a room with a famous Monet you’d hear visible cloaks playing out of the speakers. Apparently the pieces were influenced by the artworks but.... come the fuck on! $55 for an experience that was the equivalent of walking around the art institute with my headphones on? Also, the base tickets gave you none of the advertised performances... if you wanted to see Jlin that was an extra $15 not to mention Tortoise and Kamasi Washington which were an extra $30. If we bought tickets to every performance on Saturday it would have totaled about $200 a piece!!! They mislead people on purpose IMO. 
    The lack of even a little decorating to let people know, hey, this is no average night at the SAIC, was a complete missed opportunity.

I was expecting this:
    paves, where can we find the shitty garage shows? - Page 18 Qnykywmc7oofpoqe1ab4

But got this:
    paves, where can we find the shitty garage shows? - Page 18 D01fbf9e449aa649ad17ab76d84f4257--turner-prize-sound-art

SMH!
    At least hide the fucking speakers! Throughout my life I’ve gone to tons of these types of events and the best ones make you feel like you are having a life moment that you probably won’t forget. Most of those were free! Shit, I’ve been to better SAIC student shows! Also, when the best beer on offer is Tecate, you know something’s wrong. I like Tecate just fine but it’s a gas station beer. Where’s the Natural Wine???Wheres the Brut IPA? It’d be interesting to see the contract that was written up for this thing. Don’t know how others felt but I’m curious if any of you guys went?

I didn't go to this (2 years, 13 days ago!) but I'm watching the Tortoise set on YouTube right now.

This is not really worth bumping the thread for but at 16:06 John McEntire (?) tapes down one of the keys on his synth so it plays through the whole song. And I just love that he's probably been doing that for years because maybe there's just no other way to play it.

Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Pizzas : 161
    Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:17 pm

Today's our 16th wedding anniversary. Pretty sure - confident, actually - that I started posting on SOMB right around when Meredith and I were married. We're going to see Wolf Parade tonight at a place in PDX that fits, like, 750 people. I imagine both Spencer Krug and I are at least somewhat surprised to see where we ended up.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:08 pm

Michael K. wrote:Today's our 16th wedding anniversary. Pretty sure - confident, actually - that I started posting on SOMB right around when Meredith and I were married. We're going to see Wolf Parade tonight at a place in PDX that fits, like, 750 people. I imagine both Spencer Krug and I are at least somewhat surprised to see where we ended up.

Congratulations! Sounds like a great time. Saw Wolf Parade at House of Blues in Chicago when their 2nd album came out. Got really drunk and had a blast.

Listened to Apologies to the Queen Mary last weekend. WP forever. Michael K and Meredith forever.
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:23 pm

Michael K. wrote:Today's our 16th wedding anniversary. Pretty sure - confident, actually - that I started posting on SOMB right around when Meredith and I were married. We're going to see Wolf Parade tonight at a place in PDX that fits, like, 750 people. I imagine both Spencer Krug and I are at least somewhat surprised to see where we ended up.

fuck, that was fun
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:19 pm

Unwound touring and playing Chicago next March!!!

flavortown
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:18 pm

oh hell yes. Playing in Feb in Portland.

After our time with Wolf Parade the other night, my wife and I decided we needed to see more live music. She - drunkenly - bought tix to Kevin Morby, Mdou Moctar, and the Get Up Kids. I'm really only excited about one of those, but hey, fuck it. Live music.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:52 am

Hey man, I'd be psyched about seeing The Get Up Kids too.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 283
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:30 am

I’m reading about the ARC festival which is the kinda thing I would have planned to attend months in advance about 20 years ago. Now I’m like, maybe I’ll walk past the area when Villalobos is on stage.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:54 pm

Tomorrow night I’m taking my dad for his birthday to see The Doobie Brothers. I don’t think he’s been this excited about something in a long time. He played the shit out of those albums when I was a kid so their music is very connected to my growing up.

We will drink some over priced beer, sing along to the hits and have a good time.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:24 pm

That’s awesome, have fun!
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 67
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:54 pm

Just back from seeing GY!BE at a shitty club outside of Bologna. It was my fourth or fifth time seeing them, which is the most I have ever seen one single band. They always put on a great show, they don't fuck around with any of the obnoxious performative bullshit (encores, crowd engagement, etc), and the crowds that come to their shows are always the best. I was at their first Chicago show after the long hiatus and it was one of the more memorable and important moments in my life tbh.

It sucks living in a second-rate European city where live acts don't usually come through. Tonight made me realize how much I miss some aspects of Chicago.
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:48 pm

I kinda like some of that obnoxious performative bullshit
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 995
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:03 pm

Obnoxious performative bullshit is my only enduring legacy.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:22 am

Nick wrote:Unwound touring and playing Chicago next March!!!

flavortown

One of the top 5 craziest things I’ve ever experienced happened before this show yesterday. We have about a 25 minute highway drive to get into the Pilsen area and for most of that drive we were behind, in front of, and next to a Uhaul. Normally I wouldn’t notice something like this but they happened to get off at the cermack exit. So we are driving behind them for a bit, we get to around 18th and May when all of a sudden an unmarked squad car barrels past us and brakes hard right next to the Uhaul. Not 1 second later, 5 squads pull in front of the Uhaul and then about 20 pull past us to block it from the back. We were probably within 50 feet of this bust. Couldn’t tell you what happened after that as we got the fuck out of there quick. But about an hour and a half later, by the time we finished eating dinner to goto the show it was completely gone. Insane Chicago shit.

If anyone else went to this show, did they play stuff from Leaves after the intermission? We both had to work today so we didn’t stay after that… kinda bummed.
    Pete Best
    Pete Best
    Solid Bro

Pizzas : 116
    DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:09 pm

paves, where can we find the shitty garage shows? - Page 18 Screen10
    I was at this tonight

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 10:11 am