C-poots
18 posters

albums of note that I'm hearing for the first time

WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 67
    DispositionIntransigent

albums of note that I'm hearing for the first time - Page 6 Empty Re: albums of note that I'm hearing for the first time

Post by WP64 Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:00 am

chrondog wrote:I also suspect the economics of small labels that used to put out this kind of music aren't as viable in the digital age.
    Initially it seemed like the digital age was given these artists even more visibility. Labels like Hyperdub, Tri Angle, Sandwell District, etc. really benefited from the Internet to generate an internal fanbase. Artists like Burial, who were influenced by drum and bass were able to really transcended those scenes because the Internet provided them with a platform to reach mass audiences who were not interested in rave culture. The early days of "idm" were really Internet-centric. But yeah, something has definitely changed more recently. It seems like the growth of streaming platforms has really changed the business of music to the detriment of more experimental sub-cultures.

This is all speculative. I really have no idea. I miss how immersive music listening used to be for me though. I've gotten back into some of this stuff because remote working is really conducive but it is a different experience than when I was first discovering this stuff in my early 20s.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 284
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

albums of note that I'm hearing for the first time - Page 6 Empty Re: albums of note that I'm hearing for the first time

Post by BGwaves Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:05 am

I think IDM used to be owned by rich edgelords who had the money to buy expensive audio hardware and software. Now that stuff comes free on your iPhone making it easy to create a decent IDM beat (known as ‘study music’ now, (CANT FORGET UTILITY!)) for your tik tok video. I suppose it’s kinda like that with everything, you either have the money to ‘play’ with the latest technologies in a certain field or your stuck scraping by with what you can afford or are gifted.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:58 am

wp64 I don't mean to be annoying or pedantic but in most parts of the world drum 'n' bass had a much wider audience than Burial and the internet may as well not have existed in the 'early days of IDM'
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:51 pm

Yeah, I gotta agree with mr. Bootcut here, like I indicated above too, you might not have even owned a computer let alone have a good internet connection around 1995-2000. I think in a way you’re actually referring more to the era of grime, dubstep, and minimal techno, like 2000-2007. Whatever the case, there is no denying that the internet had a huge influence on music after Napster.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:54 pm

You are right. I am viewing all of this from a very narrow prism of my own experience of discovering this music. I remember reading a bunch of Burial interviews where he explained how he basically developed his sound through a remote attachment to British rave culture. If I remember correctly, he was too young to go to the clubs and parties but his older brother would give him mixtapes and CDs. Burial's whole project, from this perspective, was transforming the sonic palette of British ravers into something for melancholic loners. KLF probably offers something similar but I know less about them.

Anyways, you are are not being pedantic at all. My knowledge of all this stuff is super partial and often times just wrong and stupid.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:17 pm

WP64 wrote:But yeah, something has definitely changed more recently. It seems like the growth of streaming platforms has really changed the business of music to the detriment of more experimental sub-cultures.

I think this is mostly right. There's still a ton of people doing minimal electronica and ambient music on Soundcloud, Bandcamp, and other independent platforms, but how do they get discovered? How do they find a sustainable audience? What "label" has money to support their art without some level of commercial viability? Back in the early days it seems like there was more drive to discover the technology and push it to its limits in search of art. Now, basically anyone can create any kind of music they want. The lack of a cutting-edge vibe and a "scene" makes it hard.

Very generally, I think YouTube/streaming have sucked a ton of money out of the industry and homogenized what is "discoverable".

Last edited by chrondog on Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:18 pm

chrondog wrote:Textstar is cool:

I've got through this 3-4 times in the past day. I really recommend this to everyone, it's stellar.

More straightforward than Loop-Finding-Jazz-Records, Textstar is just some good ass bleeps and bloops.
    vIv
    vIv
    Volunteer worker

Pizzas : 89

Post by vIv Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:43 pm

WP64- I would just like to say here that I have really enjoyed watching your maturation and development as a human being and poster from across the internet divide. howyadoin
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Pizzas : 161
    Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:17 pm

+1 to Viv's sentiment.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:26 pm

Very nice of you to say, Vlv. I hope you and your family are doing well after the difficult episode you had last year.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1145

Post by undo Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:15 am

albums of note that I'm hearing for the first time - Page 6 Hazyville-main

This great. But if you recognize this cover then you probably already know that. But what you're probably wondering now (or not!) is how undo could go like 13 years (?) or whatever to hear this for the first time?

I love all the other Actress albums. When I was in college (2010-2015ish or something) I had headphones on in the library between classes, after school, sitting in the science building and just working/studying/doing nothing at those tables in the halls and in the atrium (every small-midsized college in the US has a building like this and they're super proud of it but at the end of the day it's still basic architecture that looks fancy but is also secretly cheap in some way they're able to paint over for the most part) and I was just listening to techno and ambient music constantly. Splazsh and RIP all the time, but I never thought Hazyville would be as good (!?!?!?) or something? I don't know, I mean when I wanted to listen to Actress I wanted to listen to those two albums and why wouldn't I?

The production on Hazyville is just as good and the ideas are as fully formed as they are on latter albums. Every track here bangs and also smokes. Will report back later.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 980

Post by Nick Fri May 28, 2021 3:29 pm

Swell Maps - A Trip to Marineville

If you like a blend of post-punk, noise rock, a little bit of experimental and found sounds thrown in with some sneering, snotty British punk vocals then give this a spin.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Fri May 28, 2021 5:46 pm

yeah! Jane from Occupied Europe too

did you check it out because of the Quietus interview w/ the less important members who just happen to still be alive?
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Fri May 28, 2021 7:43 pm

Gene Bootcut wrote:yeah! Jane from Occupied Europe too

did you check it out because of the Quietus interview w/ the less important members who just happen to still be alive?

I have Jane From Occupied Europe queued up next. And yes, it was The Quietus interview that turned me onto them!
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 812
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:09 am

First thoughts just over 33% through 69 Love Songs:

1. I guess it's my fault for assuming the title was not literal.

2. The title of this record could very much stand to have a way smaller number in it.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:44 pm

Big Bud - Infinity + Infinity
    albums of note that I'm hearing for the first time - Page 6 R-964610

Excellent, classic DnB album. Smooth, atmospheric stuff.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:54 pm

albums of note that I'm hearing for the first time - Page 6 Fka_tw10

I have never listened to FKA Twigs before and only had the vaguest sort of expectations of what I was getting into. I assumed there would be vocals, the music itself would be some hybrid of electronic music and unconventional pop with lots of "glitchy" production. This was basically what I got.

I did not care for this. Perhaps I have never felt so completely annoyed and irritated by an album in my entire life? In fact, I hated almost every second of this. I really try not to make such absolute and hyperbolic statements but I was actually surprised and a little frightened by how much this was getting under my skin. Was I predisposed to approaching this with a hyperskeptical mindset that I only bring to highly-hyped albums/artists of the past decade? Was I just having a bad day yesterday? I know I can just ignore this and I don't have to listen to it at all. But so much of this is adjacent, either in concept or execution, to LOTS of other music I really love. Why not finally check it out? I have no duty to "keep up with music" (as if listening to an album that's seven years old now even accomplishes that!) but I'd like to remain open to and excited by where electronic and pop music goes in the future. I don't want my tastes to completely freeze in time or to stop feeling open to where music is going, because that means I'm going to miss out on so much amazing stuff that I would never be able to imagine, art that's going to leave me feeling engaged with the world instead of cloistered off into my own little cocoon of familiar favorites. So idk, maybe committing to that means I'll inevitably have these kind of experiences.

It is ridiculous to assume that this was some kind of super-calculated project created to specifically to bank on the critical zeitgeist of the mid-2010s, that post-Grimes world of Important Feminist Albums and "experimental" pop and the poptimist reappraisal of 90s R&B, etc. But this ticks all the boxes of what tastemakers wanted or considered important at at the time (I'm not sure they've really moved on except that they now get most of this via mainstream pop now). But this is not fun, it is not "exciting," there are no "hooks," I could understand about 5% of what she was singing, the rest of the vocals just sounded like this to me. The effects applied to her voice strike me as neither purposeful or "organic." I really should revisit this to specifically cite the moments that left me with this impression but I really don't want to! I'm having a nice, stress-free morning. Writing this is a little cathartic and I'm really not getting as fired up about this as I probably sound like I am.

The hard work that primed an audience for this was already put in by other artists who took artistic risks when it mattered and wasn't a telegraphed strategy that fit really nicely into the middlebrow, Extremely Online conception of what "experimental" music is (a completely meaningless term that is regularly applied to pop music on a regular basis now) or how that could cross over into a lucrative, accessible career. There is nothing innovative here at all that hasn't already been done! And that's fine but this was really built up as something daring and uncompromising... maybe it's a failure on my part as a listener that I cannot separate hype from my own personal experience of listening to music? Obviously, I have an axe to grind when it comes to stuff like this. It's really sad!

If you like this, that's fine and good, I hope we can still be friends.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:04 pm

That actually makes me feel better. I listened to this album for the first time a couple years ago. I actually gave it quite a few spins while walking around Bologna. It just didn't connect with me at all. "Two Weeks," which is the main single iirc, is fine. Nothing special though. I remember being really disappointed and thinking that this kind of music was probably just moving in a direction that no longer resonated for me, which might still be the case.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:35 am

albums of note that I'm hearing for the first time - Page 6 R-296210

Probably one of the last albums you'd think I'd post itt but what can I say.

I was going to listen to all of their albums for in order but that never really happened so why not just listen to this already?

Boy, this really hits that spot. You know the one!

More 2 come! Cool bounce
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:36 am

undo wrote:albums of note that I'm hearing for the first time - Page 6 R-296210

Probably one of the last albums you'd think I'd post itt but what can I say.

I was going to listen to all of their albums for in order but that never really happened so why not just listen to this already?

Boy, this really hits that spot. You know the one!

More 2 come! Cool bounce

I had the same experience a year ago! Listened to this before all their other albums and it took a while for me to want to explore anything else because it’s just so goddamn excellent.

Anyway, FKA Twigs creates music that makes me sleepy.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:51 pm

albums of note that I'm hearing for the first time - Page 6 Chairb10

Chair Beside a Window seems to be the best-known and best-regarded album by the once-elusive singer-songwriter Jandek, so maybe it would be the obvious place to get into his music? Maybe there's an interesting journey that got us to this point but that's gonna have to be the road not taken for me. I had never heard a note of any of his songs before this. I suppose I knew this was going to be lo-fi and somewhat "dissonant" but I didn't really understand the depths of how deeply it would embody those adjectives.

This might be one of those albums that's so influential that years and years of hearing people trying to "do" it has kind of robbed most of the impact that this might have had on me. If I had heard this when I was 16 it probably would have blown my mind. But years of listening to stuff like The Dead C, Harshest Realm, Sonic Youth, Twin Infinitives, etc. has kind of blunted my ability to feel a whole lot of anything when it comes to this. There was probably a time when it would have felt completely shocking to hear something like this, but those days are long gone. Not at all suggesting that this album is all "mystery" and no substance or anything like that. I just didn't come away from this with a strong desire to hear it again or any expectations that a second listen would be a richer listening experience or anything.

If you have the keys to this album, please share them!
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:54 pm

Nick wrote:Listened to this before all their other albums and it took a while for me to want to explore anything else because it’s just so goddamn excellent.

I really like this one too:

albums of note that I'm hearing for the first time - Page 6 71lpqm11
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 812
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:43 pm

I remember only liking a handful of songs on the FKA Twigs album. Surprised to see any strong reaction to it at all, honestly.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:50 am

I saw Brian Eno’s Ambient 4: On Land at disc replay in Highland, IN recently and decided to pick it up. It’s the remastered version that was done at Abbey Roads a few years ago. Apparently it’s mastered at half speed so you must play it at 45 to hear it as intended. From what they say it’s supposed to make the mids and highs sound clearer. Having never heard it before I can’t speak to that aspect but I will say that it sounds incredible. Anyway, I had listened to 1 and 3 and enjoyed them a little in my twenties but didn’t really appreciate them until recently. So with my new found appreciation for those records I figured buying this one without hearing it would be fine.

This record is a journey. I’d probably put it in the dark ambient category, so don’t approach this thing expecting the angelic voices of An Ending (ascent). Rather, it feels closer a well produced No Neck Blues Band or Jackie-O Motherfucker during their quieter, ambient passages. The playing is Slow, very deliberate, and patient with a mixture of darker and lighter tones, but overall, the vibe is mysterious. Also, it’s short, only a little over 40 minutes which allows it to fit into most mundane tasks. Highly recommended if you have not heard this one or like ambient.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:06 am

albums of note that I'm hearing for the first time - Page 6 Red10

I really enjoyed this.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:13 pm