Futebol

WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 67
    DispositionIntransigent

Futebol - Page 9 Empty Re: Futebol

Post by WP64 Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:03 pm

I am, of course, very excited about the azzurri. The first match definitely was not a fluke either. They've been excellent since Mancini took over. At the same time, Turkey were absolutely abysmal in that match. Italy have such an easy group and are playing all of their matches in Rome, which should be a big advantage. The real test is going to be the knockouts.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 979

Post by Nick Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:17 pm

I like how unless they’ve scored, the Italian players look in a constant state of agitation.

Also, didn’t realize Locatelli plays for Sassualo. Definitely going to be grabbed by a larger club I’d imagine.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:14 am

Brilliant first touch and skill on that Chiesa goal. He is going to be a really great player for a very long time. He has an incredible motor and a really great feel for the game as well. Now the competition is really going to start getting interesting. I really think this team can beat either Portugal or Belgium. I think Mancini is the better tactician and he will hopefully find the right midfield shape against either squad.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:57 am

I will be happy w/ any team other than Portugal or Germany winning but Jesus Christ please don't let it be Germany or Portugal
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:50 pm

I just love watching this Italy team play. I hope they win the entire thing.

Some of podcasts were calling that match yesterday boring but I thought it was fascinating to see Italy struggle and work out a way to come through in the extra time.

Belgium had a wonder goal today and I stood up after that hit and yelled “Holy fuck what a goal” but I just don’t believe in them as a World #1 and legitimate champion in this tournament.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:58 pm

If they were healthy, it would be really hard to bet against them but without KdB and Eden Hazard they are much less threatening and offer a lot less going forward. I'm really impressed with Axel Witsel though. He seems like one of the most underrated players in world football.

I am going to be interested in how Mancini selects his starting XI. Chellini might be healthy enough to play but the combination of him and Bonucci just seems like a nightmare combination when you consider Lukaku's pace and his incredible ability on the counter. He should do the right thing and just start Bastoni. People are going to argue that he lacks the big game experience but he is always so incredibly composed and he knows exactly how to mark Lukaku since they train together.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:54 pm

I think any international tournament is more compelling the longer you have nations like England going far so I was glad to see them get past a not good Germany. But if you look at the other side of the bracket and quality of the remaining teams I think it could be a lopsided final.

I know England fans are talking about a direct path to the final right now but we will see what happens with this Sweden v Ukraine match. I think Sweden are going to be difficult for anyone to take out and on current form I’d pick Denmark to get past England in a semifinal.

The matches yesterday were incredible. I was actually cheering on the Swiss from my couch. What an effort and refusal to give up. Never expected it from them.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:18 pm

Yeah. The group stages matches were a total bore but the knockouts have been really gripping. In terms of drama, that France - Switzerland matchup really had everything. So many swings in momentum and some really sweetly struck goals. I am trying not to think about the England result too much and just enjoy the fact that France, Germany, and Sweden are out of the tournament.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:27 pm

I was listening to the Guardian podcast on the Italy - Belgium game and one of the guests was complaining about all the diving the Italians were doing. I was laughing so hard. So, so satisfying to listen to their whining. They are already preparing their excuses.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:51 pm

Yea I listened to that too and loved how Nikki Bandini was making fun of him for whining about the shit housing. There was definite time wasting but other than the Immobile instance just before the goal nothing bothered me that much.

Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut

Post by Gene Bootcut Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:19 pm

I'm sure your unkneeling defenders of the west will triumph over our demented Marxists, no delusions here

oh well, at least we'll always have this Tweet

https://twitter.com/weemoxy1/status/1411641641459458054
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:39 pm

What do you an expect from an English locker room though? They are, predictably, more than fifty years behind Althusser and their continental French compatriots who recognized that epistemic break in Marx's corpus in the 60s. Please catch up.

Bonucci just understands that it is the science of history, as narrated through the successive modes of production and the attendant class struggle, and not some kind of revolutionary sociology.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:58 pm

What it doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

victory victory victory victory victory victory victory
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:47 pm

Ragazzzzzziiiiiiiiiiii

aw hellz yeah aw hellz yeah aw hellz yeah aw hellz yeah aw hellz yeah
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:44 am

Italy were the best team in the tournament from the moment a ball was kicked. I loved everything about them - the style of play, learning about players I wasn’t familiar with, Mancini’s tactics and that entire coaching staff’s demeanor.

I hated the series of PK misses from England. You knew instantly the hatred and bile that would be thrown at them and it appears to have become a reality.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:15 pm

Yeah. That was honestly a very uncomfortable way to win a major trophy. I know that the most reactive segments of English society are going to be directing a lot of hatred and racist bile at those young players and that they will quietly be supported by the major newspapers and tabloids. It's fucking gross. The real culprit is Southgate. He seems like a relatively thoughtful guy and carries himself quite well. But the decisions that he made throughout this entire tournament and especially in the Final are really questionable, to say the least.

They were just so negative the entire tournament. I'll never understand how you can leave Foden, Sancho, Grealish, etc. on the bench for almost the entire tournament. You don't trust the young guys for the whole duration and then you through them out there in the most high pressure situation. What the fuck was he thinking? Will this be his last tournament? I noticed that Grealish already made a public swipe at him on Twitter... It seems like this promising generation of young talent is destined to get mismanaged and eventually devolve into a public squabble fest of endless recrimination. Queue the MJ popcorn gif.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1143

Post by undo Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:15 am

So the player that actually gets fouled doesn't have to take the penalty kick? You can choose anyone you want to do it?

No idea why this isn't embedding, guess you'll just have to click it to see what it is.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut

Post by Gene Bootcut Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:57 pm

erm... yeah. why would they? surely you'd want the player you think has the best chance of scoring a penalty to take it?
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1143

Post by undo Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:12 pm

I do not know any of the rules.

In other sports I'm more familiar with, the player who gets fouled gets to take the free throws, penalty shot, etc.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 283
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:54 pm

It makes fouling more strategic, Gene. It’s important in basketball because many players have a low ft%. For instance, Lebron James was under 70% this year so fouling him on the shot is beneficial. If he misses the free throws and the basket then it was a ‘good’ foul. I’m sure it’s similar in Futball but allowing any player to shoot doesn’t really make fouling an individual player beneficial.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:38 pm

Messi going to PSG and I think Amazon just purchased broadcast rights to the French League. Interesting timing there.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:10 pm

Congrats to Mitchell for getting a mention on today’s Totally Football Show.
    Pete Best
    Pete Best
    Solid Bro

Pizzas : 116
    DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:50 pm

I haven't listened to it and can't for the life of me think what I did to get on it.
    Pete Best
    Pete Best
    Solid Bro

Pizzas : 116
    DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:52 pm

Oh, Rock The Shaktar - of course.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:12 am

Not really a football kit guy at this point but that Venezia away kit restock happened this morning and I couldn’t resist.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content