Futebol

WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 67
    DispositionIntransigent

Futebol - Page 3 Empty Re: Futebol

Post by WP64 Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:30 am

Chrono, how are you feeling lately about The Arsenal? Today was a lot of fun and I'm feeling pretty optimistic about the NLD this weekend.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:47 pm

I went to the bar yesterday and they had Chelsea-Spurs and El Clasico on. Those were probably more entertaining than Arsenal ripping through an open Bournemouth team. 

I'm pretty dispassionate about The Arsenal this season, but I'm enjoying the team. The "turnaround" the team went through at the beginning of the year was overstated. I think this is a three year process for Emery to change the dynamic of the team. 

Right now, Arsenal is the club that takes other clubs underperforming talent and gives them a happy place to chill. Laca, Auba, Mhki, Ozil years ago. Other top sides didn't really want these players, so we were able to scoop them up. Now they get great wages, get to live in London, and play in a relatively low pressure environment for a top club. Emery's challenge is to turn up the heat. That's why dropping Ozil as he has is actually essential. Ozil shouldn't be frozen out, but he needs to be challenged. The whole squad needs to be consistently challenged.

Losing Ramsey is a blow to the quality of the team, but he isn't needed for this project moving forward. The mistake was not getting a large fee for him. The discussions with Monchi are interesting. As I've said before, I think Arsenal need to put egos aside and become the right kind of selling club, so perhaps that is a move in this direction. If someone came in and offered 50 million for Guendouzi after next season, that's the kind of sale you absolutely have to make. The club should actively be looking out for those types of deals.

We need to be on a Spurs-type project: buying high ceiling players for moderate fees and developing them into world class players. Sell players who are talented, but won't make a long-term commitment.

Torreira is great, Xhaka has looked improved. Sokratis is fucking awesome and a good mentor for Mavropanos. Auba and Laca keep things fun for everyone during this transition period. We need a new young CB and a new old CB. Emery has been decent with youth (though I think our academy has been overrated for a long time). We need to hit on a lot more value pickups from Spain and France in the next few years to inject quality while we lower the wage bill by moving on older players.

I love The Arsenal and hope we finish 4th. Bring back Mou!
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 980

Post by Nick Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:23 pm

Well, Man City just won the league.

Fuck it.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:54 pm

If Chelsea, Manchester United, and Liverpool never won another game I would be satisfied

Leicester City too, glad Brandon took a big fucking L in his first match

Frustrating NLD, Spurs were shit and we should've took it
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:12 pm

I'm still buzzing about Inter winning that Derby game.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:18 am

DAZN will be streaming all Premier League matches next season. That is kind of awesome and I’ll be signing up.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:04 pm

That's really good news actually. Hopefully that also carries over to their Italian streaming services because it's been a real pain in the ass having to deal with shitty illegal streams this past month. Any idea how much this service costs per month? I'm thinking about starting a free one-month trial tonight so that I can watch Inter's game tonight against Genoa and also the Derby d'Italia at the end of the month.

Feeling pretty good about Arsenal right now but I think people are really overlooking the difficulty of some of their remaining away fixtures... We shall see.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:03 pm

I thought you were attending a language school in Italy
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:10 pm

I am?
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:09 pm

Bonucci is cancelled
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:56 pm

Dude is fucking garbage. Honestly, Allegri's post-match comments were somehow even worse and people seem to be giving him a pass. To have that sort of composure at the age of nineteen is unbelievable and the fact that neither the manager nor the team captain has his back on this is totally fucked.

The regularity in which this stuff is happening lately is really sad, but the response from players like Sterling and Kean has been outstanding.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:56 pm

Sterling has to be the single most important athlete in Britain at this point, right?
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1143

Post by undo Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:11 pm

I don't follow this sport, I mean I understand the basic rules (I think offsides is the concept that most Americans can't "get" but I don't think I'm enlightened because it's something I understand). I know nothing about strategy. I have never played the game and you wouldn't want to see me try.

I usually just click the orange square when this thread gets posted in for the sole reason of making the orange square go away. Sometimes I read what people post here. Most people on this board are American and those that follow futbol seem to:

a) Laugh at the entire concept of the MLS and mock anyone who takes it seriously
    b) Follow the Premier League
    c) To a lesser extent, follow other European leagues, which I know nothing about

I understand the concept of the English football league system (this is not really hard, tbh I've just read a lot of Wikipedia) and it fascinates me. I sometimes wonder what American sports would be like if there was a similar system at work. I don't really know if that would be a good thing or not, but who can really say?

To what extent do you (anyone reading this post) follow happenings in the English Football League Championship? (Is this literally the name of the league? Not just the EFL but the "EFLC"?) Are you interested in this and/or other leagues below the level of Premier? Do you consider their players/product to be inherently inferior and not worth your time? Is it something that fans everywhere follow with equal or slightly less attention than they do the top tier? Is it only relevant to fans living in localities with teams and dreams of some day (sooner or later) ascending to the next level?

There are plenty of resources to help guide aspiring fans to finding a team to support (some of this is tongue in cheek, maybe some of it is actually serious, idk), but what if I don't want to jump on the bandwagon of a successful team? What if I did try to follow a team in the  ESL(C)? Would this be crazy? Stupid? Completely normal and cool? My impression of the Premiere League is that it's annually dominated by the same group of four or five teams, that nothing really changes and that the longer this goes on, the longer it's entrenched and unlikely to change. This doesn't appeal to me! My impression could be very wrong but take a moment to feel my post b4 u judge. Is there any reason to think this long-term dominance will ever shift away towards other teams? Are those four or five organizations just that much better run, or do they just have the most money?

Someone's going to reply with "do what you want!" but I'm interested in perspectives here from both sides of the pond. Rooting for a team that's hungry to be promoted back into Premiere League (even if they're not really on the cusp of it or anything like that) appeals to me more than just rooting for a perennial winner.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:50 pm

I do follow the Championship, largely because I support a team that plays in it (hopefully going up at the end of the season) but also because it's of a high enough standard to be worth following. Perhaps you'd get the most enjoyment out of following a Premier League team outside of the big six? Staying up at the end of the season is their aim and since the majority of them will it carries a lot of potential reward.

Man City and Tottenham were not top teams when I was growing up, and there could potential be others vying for Champions League spots in the distant future, but unfortunately money is a very big factor and MC only managed to ascend to league winner status several years after being bought by a UAE royal who is literally the deputy prime minister of his country.

I do not personally know anyone who watches anything below the Championship and on the rare occasion I have I haven't found it to be an enjoyable experience.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:38 pm

It's a really good question and something that I thought a lot about before picking a team. I hate the idea of bandwagoning so the idea of supporting one of the "Big Six" teams always kind of bothered me. I eventually settled on Arsenal because North London seems like a place I would like to live, Arsene is awesome, and I knew they were a team that was kind of transitioning and it would be a while before they could legitimately compete for Premier League titles again. The biggest reason why people in the States primarily follow these teams is because their games are televised. It can be a huge pain in the ass to find Crystal Palace games sometimes, for example.

The English lower leagues seem a lot more popular than in other European countries (although in Italy there are a lot of people who follow Serie B). I don't watch it but the Championship is supposed to be a really fun and competitive league. It would also be relatively easy to follow as well because ESPN has the rights, I think, so you can stream all the games with a $5/month ESPN+ subscription. Also, you shouldn't have a problem finding news about the league or specific teams within it. Muddy Knees Media, which is a Podcast company, puts out a weekly show on the Championship that I am sure would be enough to keep you informed of everything going on.

I would be pretty weary about supporting a team further down the league pyramid because it would be pretty difficult to find reliable ways of watching games. But if you did, I would be sure to pick a club with some pedigree and previous Premier League experience. You could maybe go with Portsmouth or Sunderland? And if your main interest is to just to get some insight into how relegation battles impact the psyche of fans, you can't go wrong watching the Sunderland documentary on Netflix. It's quite good.

I agree with Soma though. Your best bet is rooting for a team that is mid-table in the Premier League. Newcastle is a team that I really like. They should have won the Premier League about a decade ago but choked. They used to consistently be in the Champions League but have a terrible owner who has basically ruined the club. They are a good team to start following now because once Ashley sells there is a possibility of them rocketing up the league and being a Champions League contender again. The stadium is always a great atmosphere and the northeast are really crazy for football in general. Wolves were promoted last year and have an ambitious project currently underway. Leicester would be kind of stupid to start supporting now because they're miracle already happened and there isn't really anything that can top that... Crystal Palace is interesting. They have awesome jerseys, Zaha is one of the more exciting players in the league (and a really fucking great dude as well), they play in South London so you could go see them play if you ever visit the capital on vacation, and everyone always says Selhurst Park is a great place to watch a game.

I hope that helps? There are a shit load of options. I'd just start watching football and eventually you'll stumble across a team, or player, or fanbase, that attracts you. Football is fun as hell.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:45 pm

Also the MLS is definitely a fucking joke, but I think what Atlanta United have accomplished is really impressive. It's no longer just a retirement league. The fact that coaches like Frank de Boer (who was kind of desperate after miserably failing at his last two jobs... but still) are accepting coaching jobs in the league is probably a good sign. Apparently Cincinnati was finally allowed into the league and their fans are apparently great.

But yeah, I honestly couldn't imagine watching that shit every week.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:08 pm

At the start of every MLS season I’m like, “OK this is the year I’m going to follow the league, watch a bunch of matches and maybe attend a couple.”

And inevitably it will be about 35 minutes into the opening match and I turn it off and realize it’s garbage and not worth my time.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:58 pm

AJAX! bumpin bumpin
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:12 pm

Fucking hell the Champions League is buck wild!
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:47 pm

These semi-finals are dubstep

Can’t wait to watch 2 legs of Liverpool & Barca.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1143

Post by undo Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:03 am

Why are European football fans so racist?

Why is it allowed and so prevalent?

The USA is a deeply racist country and yet this kind of thing would never be stood for and you know I'm right.

Asking all the hard questions online since 1995, this has been another undo post.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:00 pm

Uhh... I don't really know. It's a huge problem here in Italy and you're definitely right that these sorts of public displays of racist taunting would be not permitted in the States. Last weekend you had Lazio fans unfurling banners with "Honor to Mussolini" written on it and they racially abused Bakayoko for the entire game. Yeah, it's obviously a minority of fans who are only getting all of this attention because their actions are abhorred by the mainstream of Italian society, but it's still appalling that nothing is doing to proactively stop this from happening. Lazio's current owner (their fans are notoriously right wing and racist) has done more than any other owner to combat this stuff. His life is constantly threatened because of it (he lives under almost constant police protection last I heard). So it's not like everyone is just looking the other way when this stuff happens.

The biggest issue is that Italy's major institutions, including the league itself, isn't doing enough to address this. And there are definitely political parties and figures within the country that are comfortable stoking the flames for their own gain. I wouldn't say that Italy is any more or less racist than the United States or other continental European countries, it's just the racism here is manifested in different ways. In the States its more discrete and insidious.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Thu May 02, 2019 8:31 am

I was optimistic after the first 45 that Liverpool would pull one back and get out of Camp Nou level or maybe down 2-1.

But the greatest player ever destroyed them and they were so shook any chance they had was just totally wasted.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Thu May 02, 2019 11:47 am

That Messi goal was special. I thought VVD was pretty bad in that game. He was partially at fault for both of the other goals. If Salah had buried that chance it wouldn't have been that bad of a result for Liverpool. I still think they aren't totally out of it. Remember that Barcelona choked really hard last year against Roma and they generally struggle away from home in the Champions League.

Dembele really should have put it out of reach at the end. Barcelona would be an absolutely lethal squad if they could get more consistent production out of him and/or Coutinho.

I am getting kind of excited for tonight. Arsenal are probably going to fuck this up though.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Tue May 07, 2019 6:26 pm

Enjoy this, Nick. What an incredible performance.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content