10 posters

2023 musical recordings

undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1140

2023 musical recordings - Page 4 Empty Re: 2023 musical recordings

Post by undo Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:02 pm

BGwaves wrote:Nah, Grimes procreated with fucking Musk, she’s shit for life after that. I’m glad she got herself some generational wealth to look forward to but that is the ultimate sellout move. An ‘indie darling’ getting with a billionaire, can’t get more ironic.

Do you buy the theory* that she got him into drugs and is (in)directly responsible for the hellworld we're in or the one that's still coming?

*I say theory because for all I know maybe this is actually common knowledge or something.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:05 pm

BGwaves wrote:Pure link - Signs

What can I say? The soft minimal sounds of late 90s and early 00s artists like Pole, Oval, and Vladislav Delay might be coming back. These guys, from Chicago, basically take those artists and make an album out of it. Rest on this musical pillow as you float down memory falls, crashing into foam lake. Float there a while and be still while the bubbles twinkle and pop all around you.

This is one of my favorites of the year.

Not to get too hung up on it but it does re-summon everything I love about a certain kind of electronic music that people made between 1997 and 2003 or so and I can't get enough of that sort of sound.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 283
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:36 pm

undo wrote:
    BGwaves wrote:Nah, Grimes procreated with fucking Musk, she’s shit for life after that. I’m glad she got herself some generational wealth to look forward to but that is the ultimate sellout move. An ‘indie darling’ getting with a billionaire, can’t get more ironic.

Do you buy the theory* that she got him into drugs and is (in)directly responsible for the hellworld we're in or the one that's still coming?

*I say theory because for all I know maybe this is actually common knowledge or something.
    You know, I’ve never thought about this before. I wouldn’t blame the drugs, the guy was on this path his whole life. I know he smoked weed on Rogans podcast but is there public info about him going to ayahuasca ceremonies or microdosing? Just attending Burning Man does not make you a psychonaut. End of the day, if these stories are true it’s probably a brand building exercise to make him seem young and hip.
    coyote
    coyote
    A classically handsome man's man in the Huey Lewis mold

Pizzas : 99

Post by coyote Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:16 pm

Little Neddy goes to war wrote:The new Olivia Rodrigo album is pretty rad. The most I’ve enjoyed teen girl is emotional ranging from depressed to angry about boys in a long time. The first track has some 90s ass alt rock guitars that sound like they could be from like a Weezer or That Dog song. All the rockers are pretty cool throughout. “get him back!” is incredible. Pretty isn’t pretty sorta sounds nothing like the rest of the album but feels like it could be an 80s pop hit a la the cure or a 2020s pop hit a la whatever is popular in 2023.

This is my daughter’s favorite artist right now. I guess w her and the other 4th grade girls they have an Olivia vs Swift debate and she’s in camp Olivia.

She wants to be a vampire for Halloween bc of the song, lol!
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 996
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:29 pm

Haha fuck yeah!
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 259

Post by jesus jones Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:57 am

BGwaves wrote:The new Laurel Halo album Atlas is really great. Bliss swirls with darkness in a dream world that is constantly changing. It’s reminiscent of GAS but that comparison doesn’t do it justice. Give it a go when you want to dreamily contemplate how you spice tonight’s dinner.
    really loving this one
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:48 pm

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/green-house-a-host-for-all-kinds-of-life/

A lot of my favorite ambient albums are still a no-go if I have a headache. But this is bringing the goods in ways I've never heard before. The tempo and the frequencies and the overall quality of the sound palette at work is exactly what I need right now.

I am not really catching onto the stated ecological themes at all here despite being the sort of person who really ought to be hooked by that kind of thing. (Or am I?)
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:26 pm

I love the SPARKLE DIVISION formula. Tropicalia, electronics, and William basinski on sax. The continued use of upright bass just keeps their thing unique. This new album is supposed to be a story about going to a party in the 70s at Foxy the dealers house and the punch gets spiked with acid. Whatever to the concept, it’s campy and cute. The music, on the other hand is exquisite. The 8 minute centerpiece alone is worth checking out. An ambient jazz fantasia that hovers on sax and synth pads, simultaneously in the clouds and on a dark and foggy city street. After this the album turns toward jazzy ambient drum and bass and breaks and finishes things off in Donkey Kong Country.

RIYL - Wagon Christ, Sam Gendalverse, N64, and beach vibes

https://sparkledivision.bandcamp.com/album/foxy
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:00 pm

BGwaves wrote:Pure link - Signs

This also really reminds me of Radian. Coincidentally, around the time this came out, Radian also released a new album! It sounds similar to Purelink and really like their early material. Live sounds get clipped to create weird post-rock/electronic atmospheres. Sorta like Oval ‘Oh.’ Mostly instrumental, although some humming and other light wordless singing comes in on a few tracks.
    https://radian.bandcamp.com/album/distorted-rooms
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:04 pm

https://pitchfork.com/news/andre-3000-releasing-solo-album-new-blue-sun-this-week/

Holy shit, this sounds like it could either be amazing or some new age shit. Worked with Carlos Niño on tracks leading up to the album. We will see Friday I guess
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:34 pm

I'm gonna end up listening to that more than any other album in 2024 even if (and maybe especially if?) it sucks.

Just in case I'm the first one who's ever noticed this, I think it's worth mentioning that André Benjamin is a cool dude.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 810
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:45 am

Not gonna question it.
    vIv
    vIv
    Volunteer worker

Pizzas : 89

Post by vIv Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:16 pm

Ned Braden wrote:I'm gonna end up listening to that more than any other album in 2024 even if (and maybe especially if?) it sucks.

Just in case I'm the first one who's ever noticed this, I think it's worth mentioning that André Benjamin is a cool dude.

It's actually sort of interesting, like Yanni and Zamphir do musique concrete. The song titles are apeshit awesome.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:17 pm

Andre 3000 giving interviews where he talks about how he’s getting a colonoscopy so what is he going to rap about that is exciting and instead makes an instrumental album around the flute is the most inspiring thing I can imagine in this hellscape we exist in.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:58 pm

This album is an absolute stunner for me. It has the same energy as the pharoah sanders/floating points album from a few years back. They come from the same dimension. This music is psychedelic in the sense that it is probably the music you should hear when you’re on a psychedelic. Seriously, if you’re thinking of taking psychedelics anytime soon, I’d have this album on hand, it will make your experience infinitely better. I’m guessing critics will love but most OutKast fans will walk away. It’s so far away from what casual music listeners will want and also, even what many adventurous music listeners might want that I can’t see it becoming a big ‘hit.’ If there is a tour, it will likely be at small intimate venues which cater to this type of micro music.

For me, the world this album creates is the best one, one in which repeat listens open new details. Sonically, it’s pretty dense, but if you're not wearing headphones or listening intently, you likely won’t hear most of it on listens one or two. I also love how they stayed away from ASMR sounds which so much of ambient music is focused on right now. I like textural stuff but the way it’s sorta sprinkled around like a spice on this album works better.

I recommend this album for moments of quiet, cosmic contemplation.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 810
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:42 pm

BGwaves wrote:It has the same energy as the pharoah sanders/floating points album from a few years back.

This is exactly what I thought of.

After the first two tracks I wondered if anything was happening at all, but got more into it from there. Unsure if I just needed to get into the groove or if he decided to lead off the album with the most pedestrian tracks for some reason but I guess we're gonna find out.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:08 pm

BGwaves wrote:This album is an absolute stunner for me. It has the same energy as the pharoah sanders/floating points album from a few years back. They come from the same dimension. This music is psychedelic in the sense that it is probably the music you should hear when you’re on a psychedelic. Seriously, if you’re thinking of taking psychedelics anytime soon, I’d have this album on hand, it will make your experience infinitely better. I’m guessing critics will love but most OutKast fans will walk away. It’s so far away from what casual music listeners will want and also, even what many adventurous music listeners might want that I can’t see it becoming a big ‘hit.’ If there is a tour, it will likely be at small intimate venues which cater to this type of micro music.

For me, the world this album creates is the best one, one in which repeat listens open new details. Sonically, it’s pretty dense, but if you're not wearing headphones or listening intently, you likely won’t hear most of it on listens one or two. I also love how they stayed away from ASMR sounds which so much of ambient music is focused on right now. I like textural stuff but the way it’s sorta sprinkled around like a spice on this album works better.

I recommend this album for moments of quiet, cosmic contemplation.
    Props! good review.

I’m sold. Sounds like a good excuse to do some deep listening.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:22 pm

BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:01 pm

Nice, Viper is an enigma.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:05 am

This sounds like Huerco S or something
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:05 pm

These are my 10 favorite Elite Albums from 2023

1. The Armed | Perfect Saviors
    2. Young Fathers | Heavy Heavy
    3. Slowdive | Everything is Alive
    4. Fever Ray | Radical Romantics
    5. Blur | The Ballad of Darren
    6. Wednesday | Rat Saw God
    7. Oneohtrix Point Never | Again
    8. Queens of the Stone Age | In Times New Roman…
    9. John Cale | Mercy
    10. Lana Del Rey | Did you know that there’s a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:17 am

https://hiroshiwatanabe.bandcamp.com/album/luminous-echoes

this is a wonderful album and it's getting me to some special places right now!
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:30 am

also I just smoked a joint and I'm watching this with the sound off along with it

Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:58 am

Ned Braden wrote:2023 musical recordings - Page 4 A1184073906_16
    BDPhones | Songs For The Fall

This is one of my favorite albums to come out in a long time. I’m biased… but it is just very, very good.  Quite possibly the best album in a career chock full of great ones.

It’s hard to pick favorite tracks from a record that contains nothing but fantastic songs, but in no particular order I’d highlight the twangy muddy country jams (Down on the South, Souled Out, Thick Delta Fog), perfectly crafted, melodic pop music (Montford Mirrors in the Park, Sometime Summertime Baby), nostalgic beauty (Tell Me I'm Dreamin', Summer with the Sultanes of Sin, Elizabethton), and the one-off brilliant street rap confessional delivered through a folk music lens that somehow still feels at home on the album (RIP Crawley).

If you like any of the genres described above, or just pretty folk guitar music in general, you owe it to yourself to pick up this album. Ten thumbs up, 15/10, legit contender for my AOTY 2023.

This is still my favorite.

Give it a spin.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:28 pm

Um...    I don't know. I don't even know.

I looked at this guy's youtube channel after my buddy sent me this insane shit and the first thing I see is another video titled "Top 10 Wisconsin Dells Haunted Houses For Free Pulled Pork" and yeah, that seems to track.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 6:59 pm