8 posters

THE 2024 US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION

undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1138

THE 2024 US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION  Empty THE 2024 US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION

Post by undo Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:19 pm

I did not watch the Republican debates last night.

The only video I that I did watch about it was three and a half minutes long and it did not show any flubs or fiery exchanges or infighting. Everyone seemed to stay on script and, judging from the sound bites that were played, the candidates did not seem to be trying to appeal to Trump voters. It felt like they were all going for... everybody else?

I expected to catch a freakshow and it instead felt like a bunch of candidates that lukewarm Biden voters would get excited about. Haley, Ramaswamy, even Christie all seemed "likeable." Did I just not watch enough of it? Am I just too easily shook?

Remember when the Democratic Party had exciting young candidates that would rally the base or get young voters to the polls? Neither do I!

mang
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 993
    DispositionRock Guitars

THE 2024 US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION  Empty Re: THE 2024 US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION

Post by Ned Braden Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:30 pm

Yeah I didn’t watch either. I don’t think any of them have the slightest chance in hell unless Trump gets convicted and sentenced before the election (even if he does, might the GOP just let a convicted felon be their guy?). Ramaswamy is a charismatic young person but an absolute nut job policy wise, Haley could grab the vote of most of the foreign policy and/or defense wonks that I’ve ever worked with (but would that be enough?), and as far as I know the rest are meh at best.

Really we’d be heading into a landslide election were it not for the fact that we’re an absolute trash country who has allowed Trump’s “Biden is old and senile” talking point to take hold across the political spectrum. But we are, and we have, and I worry about it.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:33 pm

undo wrote:Lately I've been getting deep into watching all the "Macho King" Randy Savage videos I have been able to find on YouTube (actually, they just keep feeding me new ones) and I know exactly what you mean.

This is how you inspire minds and capture hearts.

Somehow I now feel this so much deeper than I ever did as a child.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:51 pm

Fuck yeah old videos of Macho Man and Ric Flair are amongst my favorite shit.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 809
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:13 pm

undo wrote:Did I just not watch enough of it?

Yeah.

That coverage of it was weird (I didn't watch it either, obviously). You could easily get the impression you got but there was a lot of insanity and infighting. But also, no one's excited about any of these people. They're running to be the one to replace Trump should he get thrown in jail before the election.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:55 am

I love that Macho Man was a pro baseball prospect, and while I’m glad he found his true calling in the wrestling ring, I wonder how the world would’ve turned out if he’d have gotten called up to the show.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:26 pm

this guy was giving me bad vibes 5 years ago

https://lopp2.forumotion.com/t335-waiting-room-magazines#37873
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:31 pm

https://www.salon.com/2023/09/05/dark-right-wing-network-recruits-maga-army-to-replace-50k-workers-plans-to-purge/
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:59 pm

undo wrote:https://www.salon.com/2023/09/05/dark-right-wing-network-recruits-maga-army-to-replace-50k-workers-plans-to-purge/
    Jesus Christ that is fucking terrifying.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:43 pm

NYT polls today show Trump leading Biden in 5 swing states which is hilarious. The article is pay walled so I don’t know when the polls took place or the demographics.

I’m trying to think of a scenario where Trump loses or Biden manages to inspire thousands to vote for him but I’m at a loss.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:05 pm

How hard is it to have a plan for this

I'm not saying we should primary Biden but how do we not have a single candidate who ostensibly could? Why do the Dems completely suck shit, not just when it comes to principles but sustaining their own continued existence?
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:40 pm

I'm very obviously in the minority in that I actually really like Joe Biden but I have no idea how he wins this election.  I don't know if this guy's assumptions are correct, but they are logical and I think shed light into why the establishment Dems don't think they have any choice.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/06/opinion/joe-biden-trump-election.html

Here's the article, and my centrist take on it that I expect many of you will disagree with.

Spoiler:

Points above that I agree with:
    - Biden is functioning fine, and his "decline" is no more real or serious than Trump's.
    - Inflation is the actual thing that's hitting hardest, despite a generally good handling of an economic situation that was likely going to be horseshit no matter what.
    - Biden is a genuinely decent human being (I wish this mattered).
    - Dems have completely lost their status as the "working class" party, even as GOP policy deliberately crushes working class families.
    - A second Trump term would be absolutely terrifying. He seems to have learned his lessons from a term in office where non-sycophants in key positions had the ability to de-rail some of his more bonkers initiatives. He'll do everything possible to make sure this doesn't happen the second time around.
    - "A lot of the dump-Biden conversations are based on a false premise: that the Democratic Party brand and agenda are somehow strong and popular enough that any number of younger candidates could win the White House in 2024 and that if Biden were just to retire, all sorts of obstacles and troubles would go with him."
    - "Anyone who did throw a hat in the ring would face such vitriolic contempt from the party establishment, it would probably be career ending." Yeah. The dems DO, in fact, suck shit.

Points above that I question:
    - Biden still maintains good will with the working class.  I'd probably agree if this is limited to old working class non-Fox News viewers. Even people like my working class dad have fully bought into the "he's senile and drugged up when we see him on TV" narrative, which is just the way ageism and ableism defines an old dude with a stutter.
    - Biden is not what ails the party. As things stand, he is the Democrats’ best shot at curing what ails the party. First part, absolutely. Second part... man. I'm the blandest, hawkiest Dem centrist imaginable and even I can't get with this. Like...  I see what he's going for, and actually agree that a lurch left would've thrown the 2020 election to Trump (pretty sure this is where the board will disagree with me hardest, and maybe I'm wrong), but at this point anybody under 70 with public speaking ability and no history of being evil would be a better party unifier (to Undo's point - that the Dems have been unable to provide this is mind-blowing).
    - The "Harris problem" (ugh I hate that we are such a fucking misogynist country...  she's said some dumb shit and occasionally flip flopped but the vitriol with which I hear random people talk about her without being able to provide a single example of why she sucks is so off-putting) will complicate things to a degree that a primary challenge becomes something that will hurt Dem chances of winning the general election. Again, it's logical. It might be correct. But I'm not fully sold.
    - "But if the president I see in interviews and at speeches is out campaigning next year against an overweight man roughly his own age, then my guess is that public anxieties on this front will diminish."  Fuck, I hope so.
    - "As the party became dominated by the more educated activist and media sectors, it lost touch with some of what can be called its psychological and emotional power sources. It grew prone to taking flights of fancy in policy and rhetoric, be it Medicare for All or “defund the police,” going to places where middle-of-the-road voters would not follow. It became more vulnerable to the insular outlooks of its most privileged and educated members." Honestly seeking your feedback. Is there merit to this, or is this just Brooks jerking himself off? Based on a career being surrounded by traditionally right of center people, I think my perceptions might be skewed. So many of my co-workers and acquaintances hate Trump, but site this sort of "far left" stuff as reasons why they would for him against, say, an AOC. Most of those folks went for Biden in 2020, but I don't have faith that they will again.

Maybe democracy actually was a mistake:
    - "Because of inflation, Americans now trust Trump to handle the economy more than Biden. As ABC News reported, voters are looking back and retroactively elevating their opinion of Trump’s presidency. When he left office only 38 percent of Americans approved of his performance as president. Today, 48 percent do, his high-water mark."
    - "According to a Morning Consult poll, Americans rate the Democratic Party as a whole as the more ideologically extreme party by a nine-point margin." Jesus who were they polling?? For real?? Have the GOP somehow managed to boil down the entire conversation surrounding "extremism" to "the Dems want men to compete in women's sports and this is actually an important thing?"  

Thought dump - will left populism ever be able to compete with its counterpart on the right? (More specifically, morally principled left populism. Maybe a new Lenin or Stalin can tap into the hate of the masses, but fuck that). I mean...  I guess that's what the Occupy Democrats or DSA folks have been trying to do, but it just seems to me that hate is so much louder than love. Sometimes when I want an excuse to feel shitty I look at reactions to public posts on facebook. It's not life affirming! This passage from above has me wracking my brain:
    The nation’s bitter state of mind is a self-perpetuating negativity machine. Younger people feel dismissed; the older generations are hogging power. Faith in major institutions is nearing record lows. The country is hungry for some kind of change but is unclear about what that might look like. As the incumbent, Biden will be tasked with trying to tell a good news story of American revival, which is just a tough story to sell in this environment. And Biden is not out there selling it convincingly.
    The bracing reality is that Trump’s cynicism and fury match the national mood more than Biden’s faithful optimism. It’s one of the reasons Trump is now leading Biden by 1.2 percentage points in the RealClearPolitics polling average. It’s one of the reasons Trump is in a stronger polling position now than at any point in 2016 or 2020.

It's a genuinely terrifying situation where you just see Nazism steadily creeping forward and enabled by a cynical, angry, misinformed populace. At least I'm departing for Europe before the 2024 elections, and will vote absentee.

Anyway, take all that shit with a grain of salt and feel free to correct me if you think I'm out to lunch. If anything, I wish the dude who wrote this was working on Biden's campaign trail talking points, cause they kind of worked on me. To folks further left, this "working class heart of America" stuff probably just seems like lip service and makes folks want to torch the party and start over anyway. I dunno. eh

Last edited by Little Neddy goes to war on Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:49 pm

tldr
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:11 pm

Also, fully acknowledge that this bit might as well be copied and pasted from like a KKK manual on restoring American unity:

The working-class heart and soul the Democrats cultivated through the Roosevelt, Truman and Kennedy years rooted Democratic progressivism in a set of values that emphasized hard work, neighborhood, faith, family and flag.

But is the point actually valid?

The whole thing just has me so damn anxious.

Maybe it’s that twice in a lifetime moment when a third party candidate (unaffiliated with any of the actual big third parties, which are dogshit) could swoop in and take this thing, but I think the whole system is structured in a way to make it impossible.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:44 am

Guys. The election is in a year. The polls are close. Biden hasn't even started campaigning. Can you honestly not imagine a scenario where he wins?
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:51 am

I’m really anxious and depressed and the world is a nightmare. Can’t you forgive me my doomsaying??

Point taken though. And it’s an important one.
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 259

Post by jesus jones Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:56 am

yeah a lot is gonna happen in the next year, including some very likely trump convictions
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:10 pm

THE 2024 US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION  Resize58

imlikewhoa
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:11 pm

Little Neddy goes to war wrote:I’m really anxious and depressed and the world is a nightmare. Can’t you forgive me my doomsaying??

Point taken though. And it’s an important one.

Oh, I absolutely get it, that there's even a question is terrifying enough.

jesus jones wrote:yeah a lot is gonna happen in the next year, including some very likely trump convictions

Yeah, it can feel like Lucy and the football, but there's a real chance this happens.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:49 pm

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elections/ohio-voters-enshrine-abortion-rights-state-constitution-fall-roe-v-wad-rcna122077

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elections/former-biden-aide-gabe-amo-wins-rhode-island-house-special-election-rcna122109

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/11/07/us/elections/results-kentucky-governor.html

THE 2024 US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION  Nets-fan
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 282
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:32 pm

Is this Colorado news a big deal? Seems like it is
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:55 am

BGwaves wrote:Is this Colorado news a big deal? Seems like it is

Trump’s team already said they’ll take it to the Supreme Court. Which isn’t exactly a welcome mat for Liberal causes.

I think there is 0% chance it’s upheld and also seems totally stupid to me. For real, you think Trump won’t use this as motivation and fuel for his rallies? It’s just more January 6 panic from Liberals that need to fucking move on. Maybe consider finding a candidate people like or not having a President that tries to alienate voters through total shit policy.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:38 am

I dunno, leaving aside the fact that it's plainly written in the law, I don't think you need to be a panicky liberal to think maybe the guy who just tried to overthrow the government shouldn't be allowed to run for president again. Also, maybe not everything needs to be seen in the context of Joe Biden's reelection campaign.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:46 pm

Nancy Pelosi on Sunday morning news show claiming some Pro-Palestine protesters are sincere while many are Russian plants. She’s gonna ask the FBI to investigate. I’ve changed my mind about not voting. This is inspiring from a great American Democrat leader.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:05 pm

You're going to get out and vote and

write in Don Charisma or something

if everybody's write-in in NH can be reported, we can make it happen here too

https://twitter.com/umichvoter/status/1750211576177520710

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:26 am