Ned Braden
undo
24 posters

[solved]American questions for British people

reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

[solved]American questions for British people - Page 9 Empty Re: [solved]American questions for British people

Post by reuben Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:37 pm

Can anyone give this song some context for me?  

Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

[solved]American questions for British people - Page 9 Empty Re: [solved]American questions for British people

Post by Gene Bootcut Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:28 am

Milton Keyenes is a 'new town', which means it was created by the government during the second half of the twentieth century for the sake of business. They tend to be viewed as incredibly depressing places and Weller is describing the dark undercurrents of such a soulless location.
    Bruegel
    Bruegel
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 453

Post by Bruegel Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:32 am

The jaunty, upbeat arrangement is a thin veil, like the prefab facade and net curtains that can't quite conceal the twisted progeny of kitchen-sink drudgery.
    Bruegel
    Bruegel

Post by Bruegel Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:37 am

I like how Redditch was more honestly referred to as an overspill town.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Post by reuben Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:35 am

Was there really a lot of crime in Milton Keynes or is the song just an ill informed critique of planned development?
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Post by reuben Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:39 am

And why are the horn players in monks robes?  Is that really a thing with local governments in the UK like the NWA in Hot Fuzz?
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1143

Post by undo Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:17 am

How do U feel today?
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 67
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:57 am

I sure hope U R proud of yourselves!

disgustedatrightwing
    Bruegel
    Bruegel

Post by Bruegel Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:58 am

Hey guys, the world is pretty fucked up right now...

I suggest we put a huge amount of resources (time/energy/money) into renegotiating our relationship with our closest neighbours!

Fuck it.
    Bruegel
    Bruegel

Post by Bruegel Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:47 am

I wonder which Bullingdon Club pig fucker will replace the current Bullingdon Club pig fucker in October

Exciting times!
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 67
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:52 am

I've been trying to understand this now 4 the past week and I can't wrap my head around it at all.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 810
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:03 pm

This is all so stupid.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:24 pm

undo wrote:How do U feel today?

This wasn't exactly the wrong question 4 me to ask but I don't know if it's going to get me any closer to understanding why this happened or what it means now.

I guess I'm one of those Americans who always thought that the biggest difference between us is that this is the sort of thing that we would do in your shoes but that U definitely wouldn't.

Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 997
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:45 pm

It's really the rest of Europe's fault 4 never voting 4 the Brits in Eurovision.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 810
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:43 pm

Think cooler heads would've prevailed had they gone to the downtown location.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/06/24/brexit_was_born_in_a_chicago_o_hare_pizzeria_which_one.html

Last edited by Duff... on Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 997
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:00 pm

^ fuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Dank dark depth times when a pizza summit, heretofore thought of as fail safe regardless of location/quality can yield a result like this Sad
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:14 pm

lol @ the entire UK political class pussing out when it comes to having the blood on their hands 4 the Brexit. loving that everyone waited until after the referendum passed to call up a couple law professors and tell people that 1) the referendum was non-binding, 2) has to be approved by parliament, and 3) can be nullified by Scotland's parliament anyway.

looking like the post-referendum debate will be a fun time waster 4 all involved.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 875

Post by zappo Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:43 pm

This is an American question 4 my fellow Americans, though all R free to answer: can the US presidential election, in November, somehow also be made non-binding? There's gotta be a way.
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Pizzas : 201

Post by C-poots Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:54 am

chrondog wrote:lol @ the entire UK political class pussing out when it comes to having the blood on their hands 4 the Brexit. loving that everyone waited until after the referendum passed to call up a couple law professors and tell people that 1) the referendum was non-binding, 2) has to be approved by parliament, and 3) can be nullified by Scotland's parliament anyway.

looking like the post-referendum debate will be a fun time waster 4 all involved.

Yeah, it is theoretically a legally non-binding outcome, but who is going to be the PM to say "more than half of the voting population wanted this but I'm not going to do it" as his/her first step in parliament? Also, I've seen multiple reports that both Scotland's Secretary as well as Brussels will absolutely not let Scotland's parliament nullify the vote, and the idea was simply something Sturgeon came up with to try and calm Scotland so they wouldn't need to leave the UK.

So far the impacts to me and other foreigners have been pretty rough already from a financial standpoint. I've lost a significant amount of money from exchange rates while friends have seen large losses in the markets. Hiring freezes and bank jobs being sent elsewhere R already hitting so I'm planning on leaving once the pound recovers a little.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 979

Post by Nick Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:39 am

zappo wrote:This is an American question 4 my fellow Americans, though all R free to answer: can the US presidential election, in November, somehow also be made non-binding?  There's gotta be a way.

I don't know the answer to this but would assume if that were the case Obama would never have gotten elected without some form of trial in the House to prove his citizenship. Or, HRC would know that even were she to win in November she'd have to go through a Game of Thrones style hearing of some sort dealing with Benghazi or her private email account.

Really, the political divisions that started in this country around the 2nd Clinton term would make me think elections have to be binding because otherwise we'd have a total shit show the day following someone is declared the winner.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:35 pm

The only thing I know for sure about the UK Internet surveillance bill (?) is that it was probably passed/rammed through at the best possible time.

Like, on the surface it seems almost unbelievably intrusive and worthy of public outcry/protest (this might be happening, I don't know) but in a world where Trump not just could be elected president but actually was, it's actually no longer unusual or even all that interesting to talk about.

By the time anyone replies ITT, I'll probably have read more about it. But I place other boarders' opinions far above any personal research of my own.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Post by reuben Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:51 am

Is "jobsworth" a thing people really call one another or was that term invented for television?
    Bruegel
    Bruegel

Post by Bruegel Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:23 pm

I called a man a jobsworth yesterday. He kicked me and four colleagues out of a public space that we were drinking wine in at 6:30am (he was cleaning the area, we were being very respectful, sharing a post work bottle of red)

Its one step down from "little Hitler"
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Post by reuben Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:22 pm

Was it still being very respectful when you called him a jobsworth? hmmmm....hmmmm....
    Bruegel
    Bruegel

Post by Bruegel Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:39 pm

Yep. He was a little Hitler.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 4:22 am