Ned Braden
undo
24 posters

[solved]American questions for British people

chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

[solved]American questions for British people - Page 14 Empty Re: [solved]American questions for British people

Post by chrondog Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:05 pm

Is "lorry" the most British word?
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1138

[solved]American questions for British people - Page 14 Empty Re: [solved]American questions for British people

Post by undo Sat May 21, 2022 1:19 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out_of_left_field

Do you personally understand what this expression means without looking it up?

I do wonder what people thought when an electronic music group from London called Leftfield suddenly appeared in the 90s.

Also, I'm ready to suddenly find out that "Leftfield" means something in UK slang that I never expected.
    Pete Best
    Pete Best
    Solid Bro

Pizzas : 116
    DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best Sun May 29, 2022 2:30 pm

Nah means the same - I knew it was from Baseball but couldn't go into detail on what it means in the context of the sport.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:03 am

Is the long weekend the UK gets this week the equivalent of President’s Day in the US but because it’s for the Queen just more elaborate?
    Pete Best
    Pete Best
    Solid Bro

DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:43 am

I guess. The Queen has had four Jubilee celebrations now; Silver, Golden, Diamond and Platinum. They've all had slightly different flavours.

Silver was a recognition of 25 years gone and many more to come; she was only 50. It took place in the background of a Government struggling with the aftershocks of the decade's woes, and within 12 months, the dying Labour government had to go to the IMF.

Golden was at the end of a terrible decade for the Queen and the monarchy. Death, divorce, public relations nightmares (Season 5 of the Crown coming soon), and felt like the quietest of the three I've experienced despite ridiculous things like Brian May playing the national anthem on the roof of Buckingham Palace.

Diamond was on the back of a better decade, with William's wedding and linked together with The Olympics in London that summer.

Platinum has felt like more of a giving thanks while possible - She is almost certainly not going to be around in 10 years, and many of the events took place without her. It's a glimpse of what looks like being a scaled down, smaller monarchy like Scandinavia rather than having titles and such for all the cousins and their children.

Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:25 am

Will Boris Johnson’s replacement be worse than Boris Johnson? Who are possible replacements?

I think of how when Trump got Covid or any half dozen times people actually thought he’d get removed from office. Pence would have replaced him and been less overtly a fucking moron but might have pushed a far right, crueler agenda.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:41 pm

[solved]American questions for British people - Page 14 Resize22

What is a caretaker prime minister?
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 65
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:21 pm

He would stay on as PM until the Tory-majority national parliament is capable of electing his replacement.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:40 pm

WP64 wrote:He would stay on as PM until the Tory-majority national parliament is capable of electing his replacement.

Keeping the chair warm and doing nothing until he's replaced?

gotchagamin
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:34 am

What are 3 things the Queen will be remembered for most?

Her performance in The Naked murder weapon is probably up there, right?
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 809
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:45 am

When's the last time you had a prime minister that wasn't complete trash?
    Pete Best
    Pete Best
    Solid Bro

DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:25 am

2010. A nadir was reached with Truss that it would be hard to beat.

All of the PMs since 2010 have been massively backed to the hilt by the right-wing press, and they've all been rubbish. Worse than that, each one has been praised for their ability to come and fix the mess of the previous one.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:02 pm

undo wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out_of_left_field

Do you personally understand what this expression means without looking it up?

I do wonder what people thought when an electronic music group from London called Leftfield suddenly appeared in the 90s.

Also, I'm ready to suddenly find out that "Leftfield" means something in UK slang that I never expected.

Similarly, do people in the UK use the phrase "hail mary" (a last-second, desperate attempt at something) or understand intuitively (or specifically) what it means?
    Pete Best
    Pete Best
    Solid Bro

DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:41 am

Not so much, I have heard it but a British sports commentator is more likely to say last-second desperate attempt or maybe even "last-ditch attempt"
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:39 am

In the United States there are dudes that absolutely love The Constitution. So much in fact that they’ll wear t-shirts or hats that say “We the People…” and in extreme cases get it tattooed on their bodies.

Is there a UK equivalent? UK people (mostly dudes) that just fucking respect the hell out of old British documents?
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 993
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:28 pm

I wouldn’t be surprised if there were some buck wild Magna Carta groupies out there (there’s a reason Chuck McGill remembered the Mesa Verde address after all), but can’t think of any still current document nor do I think Magna Carta groupies would be as nutty as our constitution groupies. I sorta think the murder weapon thing is what makes it such a big deal for lots of bad people. For the not-so-bad people, there’s something to be said for swearing your allegiance to support and defend a constitution vs a king or president or office or whatever.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 809
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:22 pm

Another non-British person joins the chat, but I think the monarchy might be where the performative patriots get their symbolism over there.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:07 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-level

I will never understand this shit
    Pete Best
    Pete Best
    Solid Bro

DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:46 pm

Yeah definitely the monarchy and some people who like to bang on about Manga Carta for sure.

Not sure how to explain A-levels. Exams you do at 18 to get you into university I guess.

undo
    undo

Post by undo Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:35 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/nov/06/angelo-mathews-becomes-first-international-cricketer-to-be-timed-out-sri-lanka-world-cup

Is this a big deal?

I didn't where else to post this
    Pete Best
    Pete Best
    Solid Bro

DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:06 pm

Yeah. It's quite a rude thing to do, in the rules but against the spirit of the game is the normal quote. Matthews was fucking about for ages and can't really complain too much but I'd not feel comfortable if it was England that did it to him.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:12 am