NFL Discussion

WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 67
    DispositionIntransigent

NFL Discussion - Page 5 Empty Re: NFL Discussion

Post by WP64 Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:44 pm

I don't know what to think about the Bears this year. The end of last season was such a downer that I am having a hard time being optimistic. I do however retract my previous statements about the NFL being lame. As soon as I saw the opening kickoff to this season I was immediately back into it.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:01 am

yancy wrote:Yeah, that botched enforcement of offsetting dead-ball penalties was pretty brutal. Pretty sure San Fran kicks a field goal if they handle it correctly.
    there shouldn't have even been offsetting penalties.

Joe Stalley of the Niners was flagged because after Clay Matthews tackled Colin Kaepernick by the collar out of bounds he immediately got up and started pushing Stalley. the ref turned around and flagged Stalley for 15 yards for returning a push.

surprised that fact has been lost in all of Joe Buck's whining about the officiating all telecast.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 980

Post by Nick Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:20 am

The amazing thing about Joe Buck is that every fan base is convinced he hates their team.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 876

Post by zappo Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:21 am

The only thing I'm convinced Joe Buck hates is competence in broadcasting.
    yancy
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Post by yancy Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:39 am

jasperness wrote:Joe Stalley of the Niners was flagged because after Clay Matthews tackled Colin Kaepernick by the collar out of bounds he immediately got up and started pushing Stalley. the ref turned around and flagged Stalley for 15 yards for returning a push.

surprised that fact has been lost in all of Joe Buck's whining about the officiating all telecast.
    I don't think it's been lost so much as it's so routine that it's barely worth mentioning. "The second guy always gets called" is an NFL mantra. It's why coaches try to teach guys not to retaliate, but jocks gonna be jocks in the heat of the moment.
    yancy
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Post by yancy Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:43 am

zappo wrote:Now that Loveless Smith is finally gone, I'm feeling awfully Madroxish about the Bears.  I figure the over/under on regular season wins should be 14.5.
    Yeah, that's pretty optimistic. I'd wager not a single team is over 14.5 wins this (or any) season.

For what it's worth, I like Chicago's new coach, and I'm glad they let washed up Urlacher go instead of overpaying him. Shame about the douchebag QB, though. Still can't root for the home team.
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Have You Heard?

Pizzas : 275
    Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:28 pm

i think joe buck is a fantastic broadcaster after hearing 3 minutes of the chris berman-trent dilfer tagteam last night.

buck is knowledgeable & descriptive, tells it honestly, and doesn't lavish praise on every single player on the field (see: Jon Gruden). due to this, he appears to hate YOUR team.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:32 pm

Nick wrote:The amazing thing about Joe Buck is that every fan base is convinced he hates their team.
    this is directed towards me right? i'm actually a Raiders fan.

but even more than that i'm a defender of facts from bullshit "narrative building" that flies in the face of actual events.

From Yahoo Sports:
    ''After reviewing the play, Vice President of Officiating Dean Blandino determined that Joe Staley should not have been penalized,'' spokesman Randall Liu said in an email. ''It should have been first-and-goal for the 49ers from the Green Bay 3-yard line.''
    i enjoy Joe Buck as a broadcaster a lot, just thought the way he kept bringing this up throughout the game was ridiculous and over the top. he was clearly trying to steer the narrative train towards some Monday Morning Controversy where the Packers should feel like the game was stolen from them. he was caught up in the moment and didn't take the time to slow down, review the play and judge what he really saw. which was Clay Matthews raging all over the sideline and then the refs throwing flags everywhere because they weren't paying attention.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:36 pm

Yeah, he's even-handedly shitty and has always been a dreadful narrative fabricator--like, he's both bad at constructing narratives and almost always working his ass off to construct bad ones. Never understood why people around here think he hates the Cubs, etc.. I guess it's just that they're as dumb as he is. Harsh realm.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:40 pm

yancy wrote:For what it's worth, I like Chicago's new coach, and I'm glad they let washed up Urlacher go instead of overpaying him. Shame about the douchebag QB, though.
    Feeling all of this.  Urlacher was always quite overrated, if still a very good player, and he was never anything but a douchebag.  Cutler might be even worse!  He pisses me off very personally/uniquely, because our shared struggle with diabetes once had me firmly (maybe even embarrassingly) in his corner; but the way he handled himself coming out of Denver convinced me to hate him, and he's done nothing to change my mind, since.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:44 pm

Love Cutler or hate him, the Bears will probably finish the year 18-1 and with at least one Super Bowl title.

god bless the usa

Last edited by zappo on Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:47 pm

I'm not quite sure what this means, but it's probably more or less 150% otmfm.

NFL Discussion - Page 5 Arm-Bears-Poster-(4279)
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:11 am

Jasper - I was not directing that comment at anyone. I honestly feel that is the way most fans think of Joe Buck.
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Have You Heard?

Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:03 pm

Peyton Manning and the offensive line (+TE) of 160-lb weaklings.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/9/11/4710566/peyton-manning-madden-giants

NFL Discussion - Page 5 Osweilerspooked_medium
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:17 pm

Only 2 weeks in but this feels like a crazy, exhausting NFL season is coming.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:18 am

I've only been able to watch a few minutes of Bears football this season, which is unfortunate considering I watched every down last year.

I did listen to the last series of the Vikings game on the radio though and was pretty fucking pumped when we pulled out that win. Unfortunately it's probably going to be a lot of nail-biters this year but at least our offense looks competent enough down the stretch.

I still don't have super high expectations but it would be cool to nab a wildcard spot or something like that.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:40 pm

whatever the doctors in Cleveland have on Trent Richardson must be epic

this is all super interesting, but i'll be shocked if he finishes the season healthy for Indianapolis
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Have You Heard?

Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:40 am

colts have already lost 3 guys for the season that are supposed to block for luck.
    you think it's the doctors, and not the browns deciding they'd like to beat the Jags to the first pick next year?

i don't know much about him, but he's gotta be better than what they colts have tried so far in the run department.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:08 am

Crazy but true: the Bears will defeat the Kansas City Chiefs in Super Bowl 48.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:25 am

Crazy but true: Marc Trestman beats out Chris Christie in the 2016 President Election.

FOX News and Donald Trump spend the next 8 years trying to prove that Trestman is not an American citizen and provide faulty evidence tying him to the FLQ.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:31 am

Martellus Bennett wrote:I think me and Coach Trestman are probably the only two people who understand each other. I always say Coach Trestman reminds me of the first Willy Wonka. Not the Johnny Depp one. The Johnny Depp one was really cool, but the first one before that, the 1943 version. He's a genius. A lot of times when you're around really, really smart people, you don't really understand them. I thought Willy Wonka was brilliant. He had all kinds of candy. Who doesn't like chocolate and candies? Everybody wanted a Gobstopper. I just think he's brilliant.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:10 am

Holy fucking shit. Andy Reid needs to lose like 250 lbs. What a fucking fatass.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:28 pm

wp64 wrote:Holy fucking shit. Andy Reid needs to lose like 250 lbs. What a fucking fatass.
    you have a ludicrous lack of historical perspective on almost everything
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:05 pm

I always knew he was fat but either he put on more weight in the summer or the color red is not good for his figure.

Not sure how Andy Reid's weight has anything to do with a historical perspective. But keep those guns ablazin' Jasper.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:07 pm

wp64 wrote:I always knew he was fat but either he put on more weight in the summer or the color red is not good for his figure.
    he lost weight last year

you see my point now?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:16 pm