Gene Bootcut
yancy
Duff...
reuben
24 posters

[solved]and I hate modern music, disco boogie and pop

yancy
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Pizzas : 342

[solved]and I hate modern music, disco boogie and pop - Page 5 Empty Re: [solved]and I hate modern music, disco boogie and pop

Post by yancy Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:21 pm

Yeah, that's pretty goddamned horrible. Sounds like he's reading those verse lyrics for the first time while singing them. Awful cadence.

I think people (myself included) who still namecheck Nickelback as terrible haven't listened to rock radio since Nickelback was new. The buttrock bands of that era convinced me that rock music was no longer for me.
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Have You Heard?

Pizzas : 275
    Dispositiondisposed

[solved]and I hate modern music, disco boogie and pop - Page 5 Empty Re: [solved]and I hate modern music, disco boogie and pop

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:08 pm

Metal Albums With Googly Eyes

[solved]and I hate modern music, disco boogie and pop - Page 5 Tumblr_n04sh4RNrZ1trrkjfo1_500
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1143

Post by undo Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:39 pm

[solved]and I hate modern music, disco boogie and pop - Page 5 D9tw

He's so obsessed with sounding clever and contrarian, I bet he writes everything like it's a blurb for Pitchfork, probably smart on his part because anyone who talks to him is doing so on the premise that he's going to give them something quotable like this.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 67
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:20 pm

God damn it, Undo, stop it! I read the shit on the selfie thread and was going to make a post about how it ruined my evening. I thought better of it and then saw this shit.

His inability to articulate an already stupid thought is revolting.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:22 am

I stand by the disdain I was feeling when I made that post but I wish I didn't sound so bitchy in it, it stands on its own without me sounding mad about it.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 810
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:03 pm

Eh, bitch away.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:19 pm

i think that's a pretty well articulated thought from Mr. Koenig. his phrasing is a little cutesy, but i don't find it contrarian.

"We Can't Stop" is interesting for its minimal and melancholic music, which does lend itself to slower, sadder covers. in particular his last little point that the song asks "what would happen if you did stop?" is suggested by the vocal melody. Miley emphasizes "caaaaaaan't" in the song's chorus and the video also has some suggestion about the dangers of excess.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:30 pm

I started a thread about "melancholy" songs and I like to think that I'm a connoisseur of them. I never had the impression that "We Can't Stop" had any such emotional undercurrent in it. But I do realize that I might be predisposed to dismissing anything like that if it was there. The first thing about that song that smacked me in the face was the production so maybe there's a good song somewhere beneath it. One that she didn't write and apparently requires other performers to draw any emotion out of. [/rockist]

At the same time, I also know that it's cool for hipsters to defend her -- and that few things could make you look like a square in 2013 quite as much as vocalizing any complaints about her -- and the likelihood that he'd cross paths with her at some point in the future is definitely not out of the question. The day will absolutely come when she'll be looking to reposition herself in the realm of "real" artists and it's good for her that so many authentic bros are waiting for her with open arms.
    yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:23 pm

jasperness wrote:"We Can't Stop" is interesting
    [solved]and I hate modern music, disco boogie and pop - Page 5 NbDxMRE
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:47 pm

Never read any melancholy in it and I'm kind of at a loss at trying to even pretend Cyrus is within the first two dozen people to express the sentiment "we can't stop".
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:25 pm

undo wrote:One that she didn't write and apparently requires other performers to draw any emotion out of. [/rockist].

it was written by Mike Will Made It, Slick Rick and Doug E. Fresh  dubstep

certainly not the most original concept in pop music, but for a song with 50 million YouTube views i find the music especially interesting. something i couldn't say, for example, of "Call Me Maybe". i really urge you to listen to the song and in particular the chorus if you don't remember it to be melancholic.

Last edited by jasperness on Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
    rubberman
    rubberman
    Gash Hound

Pizzas : 4

Post by rubberman Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:26 pm

dont hear much melancholy in we cant stop at all tbh, but i fucking love that song and mileys new era in general. girl rocks and i hope she'll continue doin what she wants. her performance at the vmas was amazing and incredible
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:26 pm

I just remember the first time I heard it being offended at how lazy it sounded, and then feeling smugly satisfied :damo: to later learn it was Cyrus. I've always found her to be boring and now she's boring in a way indebted to Lady Gaga. The most outrageous thing that happened at the VMAs is that anyone cared.
    rubberman
    rubberman
    Gash Hound

Pizzas : 4

Post by rubberman Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:05 am

there was nothing outrageous at the vmas, i agree, but hey i fucking hate anything outrageous and even hate tht fucking word

also call me maybe is an amazing tune. the shit that happens during the chorus is funky as fuck. as great as miley is she has to bow down in front of crj's perfection
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:54 pm

rubberman wrote: girl rocks and i hope she'll continue doin what she wants.
    Let's get real. She has no idea what the fuck she wants. She has been performing since he was like 12 years old.

I like her cover of "Stand By Me" with Future. Also, "23" by Mike Will goes pretty hard. She is obnoxious in it but she looks good in the video. I'd fuck her. Whatever.

Carly Rae Jepsen sucks though. Nothing redeemable about that shit.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:56 am

Spoiler:

Last edited by Duff... on Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Because I'm dumb.)
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Post by reuben Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:05 pm

:shrugs: That's just Massholes being Massholes.
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Pizzas : 161
    Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:36 pm

I bet that guy's never climbed a single topsail
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:10 pm

I feel like they weren't always so much with the Irish thing. Like they tried it once, people went nuts, Scorsese called, and they were like "Welp, guess this is what we do now." That's how I remember it anyway.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:11 pm

Also, I rewrote that post up there, not Undo. I don't think he'd swear at me like that. At least I'm pretty sure.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:56 pm

Spoiler:

I think this is a rip-off of ''Firework'' by Katy Perry but no one else is saying so.

I'll go one further and say that the whole film feels awash in faux-empowering pathos lifted straight out of Pink and Kelly Clarkson ballads.

Sometimes I hate it when people use the word ''faux'' like this but I don't know how else to make my point here.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:04 pm

i think it's ridiculous that adults have agreed that we have to take certain animated films seriously

really good call on the "Firework" comparison, i didn't imagine the "Frozen song" everyone was talking about would be so thoroughly embarrassing
    yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:52 pm

I've just had my Frozen knowledge roughly tripled. Not listening to that song, though.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:30 pm

undo wrote:
    Spoiler:

I think this is a rip-off of ''Firework'' by Katy Perry but no one else is saying so.
    I was sitting in a McDonald's last night and this song came on. My friend pointed out how much he hates it and how one of his weird roommates plays it all of the time. I thought he was talking about "Firework" by Katy Perry the entire time. When that song is muffled behind the bustle of a late night McDonald's crowd there is literally no difference.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:47 pm

jasperness wrote:i think it's ridiculous that adults have agreed that we have to take certain animated films seriously

zzz

Have only heard this song played by The Roots with children's instruments. I didn't care for it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 1:38 am