techno raj
ClosetOfExhaustion
23 posters

General World News Dumping Ground

Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 980

General World News Dumping Ground - Page 10 Empty Re: General World News Dumping Ground

Post by Nick Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:54 am

I thought the internet did a great job last night laughing at the Will Smith and Chris Rock incident. I probably shouldn’t be surprised that by this morning the dead serious “he could have killed him takes” are coming in and ruining all the fun.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1145

General World News Dumping Ground - Page 10 Empty Re: General World News Dumping Ground

Post by undo Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:22 am

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/04/24/world/french-election-runoff-results
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Pizzas : 201

Post by C-poots Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:04 pm

Elon Musk just officially bought Twitter
    John Boy Walton
    John Boy Walton
    Right Wing Savage

Pizzas : 2
    DispositionFUGLY

Post by John Boy Walton Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:36 am

i have never been on twitter and i haven't logged onto social media in more than 6 months

it's a LOT better
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:14 pm

what is a lot better?
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 284
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:11 pm

I’m guessing he means life.

Do you guys consider this place social media?
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:51 pm

No
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 997
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:00 pm

I was reading that JBW post as though he meant twitter had gotten a lot better in the last 12 hours, and I was definitely enjoying that angle.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:43 pm

I deleted my Twitter account awhile ago, but remade it so I could read Tweets.

Elon is one of the biggest bozos around and everything he's said about the Twitter acquisition is straight up hilarious and stupid. The notion that Twitter is the modern "town square where important debates happen" is so asinine that the man who said it must be ridiculed into infinity. It's where bullshit happens that tears down everyone who engages with it. Elon also unironically said he was a "free speech absolutist" as if there's nothing negative associated with "absolutism" at all. What a narcissistic loser he is.

My hope is that his meddling will kill the platform once and for all (even if the vague BS he's saying about "improving the platform" does sound like it makes a fragment of sense). Twitter has done very little good for anyone. Someone else could create a platform for public figures to do press releases and it would be exactly the same. I fully appreciate and understand the difficulty of mass technology platform migration and don't expect it to happen anytime soon, but the sooner it happens off Twitter, the better off humanity will be.
    John Boy Walton
    John Boy Walton
    Right Wing Savage

DispositionFUGLY

Post by John Boy Walton Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:01 pm

undo wrote:what is a lot better?

life

Last edited by John Boy Walton on Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
    John Boy Walton
    John Boy Walton
    Right Wing Savage

DispositionFUGLY

Post by John Boy Walton Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:09 pm

chrondog wrote:I deleted my Twitter account awhile ago, but remade it so I could read Tweets.

Elon is one of the biggest bozos around and everything he's said about the Twitter acquisition is straight up hilarious and stupid. The notion that Twitter is the modern "town square where important debates happen" is so asinine that the man who said it must be ridiculed into infinity. It's where bullshit happens that tears down everyone who engages with it. Elon also unironically said he was a "free speech absolutist" as if there's nothing negative associated with "absolutism" at all. What a narcissistic loser he is.

My hope is that his meddling will kill the platform once and for all (even if the vague BS he's saying about "improving the platform" does sound like it makes a fragment of sense). Twitter has done very little good for anyone. Someone else could create a platform for public figures to do press releases and it would be exactly the same. I fully appreciate and understand the difficulty of mass technology platform migration and don't expect it to happen anytime soon, but the sooner it happens off Twitter, the better off humanity will be.

It's all about political power, but it's also all about the left going off a cliff. The rhetoric coming out of this Admin is nothing short of 100% full blown Orwell. You guys might not think so, but it's true. I don't like the right wingers either, but the left has become intolerable to pretty much everybody. You are about to see a red wave (which I have to say I toldja so a couple years ago) that will be un-precedented.

Example: look at the historic drop in the black support for Biden: just this year. It is literally 15 pts lower than historical lows. The Latinos are going right like a wild fire from FL straight across to AZ. The economy just shrank from like 6% last quarter, to like 1% this quarter.

I called all of this: so heed my words. Now, what happens if the GOP comes in, brings society back to some kind of center, and fixes the economy? You may see a slim leftist majority in America in about, say... 2085?
    John Boy Walton
    John Boy Walton
    Right Wing Savage

DispositionFUGLY

Post by John Boy Walton Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:16 pm

Read up on the Latino FoxNews type of news reporting networks that are, right now as we write, being implemented in Florida.

This is un-precedented. In fact, there has literally never been anything like it.

Reagan called it 50 years ago: The Latinos are a conservative voting block, they just don't know it. Latinos don't want any of this leftist insanity descending on their communities. So, yeah: read up on it: you will be surprised what's really happening. And, if Latino FoxNews networks spring up across this country, AND there is PLENTY of ammo to brainwash that demographic like the Appalachian-esque folks who like it now: you can stick a fork in the democratic party for the next 100 years. The articles I have read state that nothing like these networks have ever existed. It's like a ground zero demographic. And, it's taking off like wild fire.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:19 pm

John Boy Walton wrote:
    chrondog wrote:I deleted my Twitter account awhile ago, but remade it so I could read Tweets.

It's all about political power, but it's also all about the left going off a cliff. The rhetoric coming out of this Admin is nothing short of 100% full blown Orwell. You guys might not think so, but it's true. I don't like the right wingers either, but the left has become intolerable to pretty much everybody. You are about to see a red wave (which I have to say I toldja so a couple years ago) that will be un-precedented.

Example: look at the historic drop in the black support for Biden: just this year. It is literally 15 pts lower than historical lows. The Latinos are going right like a wild fire from FL straight across to AZ. The economy just shrank from like 6% last quarter, to like 1% this quarter.

I called all of this: so heed my words. Now, what happens if the GOP comes in, brings society back to some kind of center, and fixes the economy? You may see a slim leftist majority in America in about, say... 2085?

This is a straw man fantasy that doesn't actually exist at all. Moderate Blue Dogs like Biden are Orwellian now? Joe Manchin and Krysten Sinema who blocked most major legislation last year are hardcore leftists? You don't have much credibility when you say things that are so obviously false. You're just pulling false narratives that sound exciting out of thin air based on reading biased news and social media.

The Democrats have not meaningfully moved left at all since Obama. What leftist agenda have they enacted? None. Funding for police is up. Inflation is caused by the pandemic and long-term factors outside of this administration's control. The Democrats have moved right on COVID for months.

Yes the Republicans will do well in the midterms, but everything else you said, as usual, is complete BS.

People are abandoning Democrats because they promised a ton of shit again and once they're in power they sit on their hands and do nothing but react to Republican red herrings like critical race theory and Disney.

Many Latinos are culturally conservative and many are white passing. Many Latinos have "surprising" views on immigration and race. Their move towards the GOP since Trump's election is an interesting phenomenon and one Democrats should certainly be alarmed about.
    John Boy Walton
    John Boy Walton
    Right Wing Savage

DispositionFUGLY

Post by John Boy Walton Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:17 pm

then why is it happening?

This is a pretty good read:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2022/04/san-francisco-los-angeles-da-recalls/629701/
    John Boy Walton
    John Boy Walton
    Right Wing Savage

DispositionFUGLY

Post by John Boy Walton Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:20 pm

chrondog wrote:
    John Boy Walton wrote:

People are abandoning Democrats because they promised a ton of shit again and once they're in power they sit on their hands and do nothing

This is an abject falsehood and pure fantasy talking point from the left side of what you just accused me of. What a load of crap. Do you live in the real world?

You can do better.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:38 pm

John Boy Walton wrote:then why is it happening?

This is a pretty good read:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2022/04/san-francisco-los-angeles-da-recalls/629701/

This is an article about DA recalls in two major liberal cities. How does this have anything to do with "massive Democratic overreach" that voters in Virginia are reacting to? This is what I mean by "following the narrative" instead of having any sense. You're just connecting-the-dots on the Internet from one article to another and claiming it's reality. Another newsflash: the Atlantic doesn't represent regular people.

Further, I and many other left-minded people are skeptical of some of the weird things that go on in our criminal justice system and don't necessarily support wanton lenience for violent crimes. That doesn't have a lot to do with other national political trends. People in "liberal hellholes" like SF and LA are actually much more ideologically diverse than anyone will give them credit for. They can change their mind on things when they don't like what they see.

Like I already said, the police haven't been defunded. The response from most liberals to the George Floyd protests was actually to support MORE police resources. Liberals are the ones driving the recalls of Boudin and Gascon. If liberals are actually against defunding the police (despite Republican straw mans to the contrary), how do you figure that the Democrats are "too far left"?

My reading is that Republicans do a good job of painting the whole of the Democratic Party as their most extreme members. Some Democrats are leftists, but the vast vast majority are not even if you want to pretend they are to push your misguided worldview that you cooked up on a few drunken nights in front of the screen.

Last edited by chrondog on Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:45 pm

Chrondog wrote:
    John Boy Walton wrote:People are abandoning Democrats because they promised a ton of shit again and once they're in power they sit on their hands and do nothing

This is an abject falsehood and pure fantasy talking point from the left side of what you just accused me of. What a load of crap. Do you live in the real world?

You can do better.

Glad you didn't counter me with any specifics because you don't have any.

Democrats haven't acted much on COVID, unemployment, wages, climate change, or social justice in any way during the Biden Administration. Again, as I said, the biggest story of the Biden Administration is Democratic infighting where moderate Senators hijacked the legislative process and watered down anything that might help regular people. Democratic voters won't be very energized come November because Biden has delivered nothing and had a very mediocre-to-bad COVID response, and turnout is the absolute most important part of midterm elections.

I wouldn't even argue with you if your point was that American voters aren't in favor of far left policies (they are obviously not). Wouldn't argue that Latinos moved right under Trump. It's something that I've noticed (through polling) as well and something I think the Democrats should absolutely address instead of pretending that "all minorities vote Democratic" or "demographic changes are going to hand electoral politics to the Democrats". I don't believe that at all and generally think the Democratic Party is full of stupid idiots with zero backbone who primarily support the status quo.

As I also previously mentioned, Republicans are always great at putting stupid Democrats on the defensive about stuff like abortion, CRT, Disney, transgender athletes, or whatever shit they're pushing at the state level every cycle. There's been more discussion of these nothing issues than any substantive kitchen table issues this year which isn't good for Democrats. Inflation caused by the pandemic is also terrible and will hurt Democrats.

I may be wrong about some things, but I'm thoughtful and you're not. Full stop. Go home. I'm very sick of your bad grandpa shitposting clogging up this board.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:27 pm

JBDub, who you got in the IL govt race? Richard Irving, amiright??????
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Mon May 02, 2022 9:54 am

GOP and Fox News are going all-in with calling anything and everything "Orwellian," I mean maybe that's not even new but it's creeping into my news feed since despite never searching for or clicking on them as they've been gifted a permanent seat at the table in it.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Mon May 02, 2022 10:17 pm

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/05/02/supreme-court-abortion-draft-opinion-00029473

The Supreme Court has voted to strike down the landmark Roe v. Wade decision, according to an initial draft majority opinion written by Justice Samuel Alito circulated inside the court and obtained by POLITICO.

The draft opinion is a full-throated, unflinching repudiation of the 1973 decision which guaranteed federal constitutional protections of abortion rights and a subsequent 1992 decision – Planned Parenthood v. Casey – that largely maintained the right. “Roe was egregiously wrong from the start,” Alito writes.

“We hold that Roe and Casey must be overruled,” he writes in the document, labeled as the “Opinion of the Court.” “It is time to heed the Constitution and return the issue of abortion to the people’s elected representatives.”

Deliberations on controversial cases have in the past been fluid. Justices can and sometimes do change their votes as draft opinions circulate and major decisions can be subject to multiple drafts and vote-trading, sometimes until just days before a decision is unveiled. The court’s holding will not be final until it is published, likely in the next two months.

The immediate impact of the ruling as drafted in February would be to end a half-century guarantee of federal constitutional protection of abortion rights and allow each state to decide whether to restrict or ban abortion. It’s unclear if there have been subsequent changes to the draft.

No draft decision in the modern history of the court has been disclosed publicly while a case was still pending. The unprecedented revelation is bound to intensify the debate over what was already the most controversial case on the docket this term.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 997
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Tue May 03, 2022 1:12 am

Launch us into the sun.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 980

Post by Nick Tue May 03, 2022 10:56 am

Very interested to see how Biden and the Democrats respond to this. They’ll use all their power to protect women’s rights I am certain.
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Pizzas : 161
    Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Tue May 03, 2022 1:06 pm

undo wrote:https://www.politico.com/news/2022/05/02/supreme-court-abortion-draft-opinion-00029473

No draft decision in the modern history of the court has been disclosed publicly while a case was still pending. The unprecedented revelation is bound to intensify the debate over what was already the most controversial case on the docket this term.

This is the most striking part of the whole thing, to me. The Supreme Court has been wielded as a political tool for decades now, but mostly not by its own agency or as flagrantly as this. Feels...unbound.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue May 03, 2022 4:14 pm

Yeah nothing I could post here matters

Just 18 years of impotent befuddlement ever since W was reelected

Railing against voters and politicians and shaking my head and feeling betrayed and disappointed by institutions and ideologies that don't live up to the promises they make, which I should know were always bullshit but

BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Wed May 04, 2022 7:57 pm

The irony of them all yelling so loudly about choice when it comes to a vaccine that can prevent deaths of live humans cannot be lost on some of them.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 3:45 pm