reuben
Ted Falconi
31 posters

Television Discussion Thread

Ted Falconi
    Ted Falconi
    Shiek

Pizzas : 394

Television Discussion Thread - Page 14 Empty Re: Television Discussion Thread

Post by Ted Falconi Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:23 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-BIG-HUG-MUG-as-seen-on-HBO-True-Detective-Matthew-McConaughey-/111279327834?nma=true&si=9lrfoxQC5SmUWTaAlg1%252FtP%252BC6eI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557l&afsrc=1
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 980

Post by Nick Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:06 pm

My Carcosa is the time spent in between new True Detective episodes.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 67
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:15 am

I watched three episodes of True Detective last night while getting pretty wasted. This is a really good television show.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:44 am

Fuck man, this show is the best thing ever. It's like HBO just decided to remind everyone how pussy AMC is.
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Pizzas : 161
    Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:41 am

Strong piece of setup work tonight. Can't wait to see how the final two eps - especially
    Spoiler:
    - play out.
    chicken invaders
    chicken invaders
    Republican Cousin

Pizzas : 4

Post by chicken invaders Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:08 pm

+1 for everything True Detective. incredible television show, right there

agreed with ted's comments about rewatching -- I've watched every episode twice, usually around wednesday or so after they've aired, and I never do shit like that.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:19 am

i love this exchange on the YouTube video of True Detective's six minute tracking shot scene.

Television Discussion Thread - Page 14 Truelo10

i found the first couple episodes of TD to be another glacially paced drama with over-the-top acting and a corny Southern/folksy backdrop. my bias against dramas is well documented though.

now i learn director Cary Fukunaga was born in Oakland and has a History B.A. from UC Santa Cruz (like me).
    monotony
    monotony
    Vanity-published Eco-horror Fiction Writer

Pizzas : 65

Post by monotony Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:06 am

yo jasper do you watch broad city?
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:40 am

why yes i do. saw your tweet about it the other day. been having some spirited back and forth with a young Jewish female friend of mine about how Abbi is such a true to life comedic representation of her.

this is definitely a show that relies on the comedy of truth more than writing or wittiness. i like what Abbi said in a WSJ interview that, "if you watch one of our episodes, there’s not a big message, but if you watch all of them, I think, they’re empowering to women." i agree with that. it's subtle in the way it puts the girls in situation that women aren't often in on television. they're addressing their lack of money and joking about insecurities they have about their looks without trying to make you pity them. there is power in their struggle for independence.

i like the show and am surprised how many people enjoy it precisely because it is so subtle. however, i think some of the praise has been hyperbolic and i don't find Abbi or Illana to be very good performers at all. they interesting personas and comedic stylings, but they're fairly limited as actresses and comediennes. this isn't necessarily the best barometer for anything, but i watched the episode of @Midnight they were on and it was pretty bleak.

Hannibal is the best part of the show, as he is the best part of anything he is in.
    yancy
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Post by yancy Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:52 am

I heard Hannibal is getting his own show. I hope they call it Hannibal just to fuck with NBC.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:57 am

I think the 2nd season is maintaining the greatness of the first with Hannibal. The balance of gore, suspense and even humor is amazing.

Hannibal's suits are incredible. Every scene is beautifully shot. It is the only thing worth watching on the major networks.
    yancy
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Post by yancy Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:33 pm

Sounds like I should give Hannibal another chance. I thought Those Who Kill was going to be my Hannibal, but A&E pulled it after two episodes, supposedly to be relaunched in the future. Pretty bad when you can't stay on fucking A&E.

TWK wasn't great or anything, just a blatant Thomas Harris ripoff with moody lighting and an excellent score by Johnny Jewel of Chromatics/IDIB fame. Plus I'm in the "oddly intrigued by Chloe Sevigny" club.
    monotony
    monotony

Post by monotony Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:12 am

jasperness wrote:why yes i do. saw your tweet about it the other day. been having some spirited back and forth with a young Jewish female friend of mine about how Abbi is such a true to life comedic representation of her.

this is definitely a show that relies on the comedy of truth more than writing or wittiness. i like what Abbi said in a WSJ interview that, "if you watch one of our episodes, there’s not a big message, but if you watch all of them, I think, they’re empowering to women." i agree with that. it's subtle in the way it puts the girls in situation that women aren't often in on television. they're addressing their lack of money and joking about insecurities they have about their looks without trying to make you pity them. there is power in their struggle for independence.

i like the show and am surprised how many people enjoy it precisely because it is so subtle. however, i think some of the praise has been hyperbolic and i don't find Abbi or Illana to be very good performers at all. they interesting personas and comedic stylings, but they're fairly limited as actresses and comediennes. this isn't necessarily the best barometer for anything, but i watched the episode of @Midnight they were on and it was pretty bleak.

Hannibal is the best part of the show, as he is the best part of anything he is in.

i think i agree with all of this, save for the fact that the girls that play abbi and ilana are convincing performers to me. i suppose it helps that they are IRL best friends too, but the way they portray their friendship dynamic is part of what makes the show so entertaining.

the show actually reminds me more of flight of the conchords than girls, just without the musical interludes and the "foreigner negotiating america" aspects.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:44 am

monotony wrote:i think i agree with all of this, save for the fact that the girls that play abbi and ilana are convincing performers to me. i suppose it helps that they are IRL best friends too, but the way they portray their friendship dynamic is part of what makes the show so entertaining.

their names in real life are Abbi and Ilana too

i don't think they are unconvincing as their characters, i just don't think they are talented performers and it puts a (glass?) ceiling on how funny the show can actually be
    monotony
    monotony

Post by monotony Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:49 am

jasperness wrote:
    monotony wrote:i think i agree with all of this, save for the fact that the girls that play abbi and ilana are convincing performers to me. i suppose it helps that they are IRL best friends too, but the way they portray their friendship dynamic is part of what makes the show so entertaining.

their names in real life are Abbi and Ilana too

oh, i'm aware of that. and i'm aware that they've said they're just playing a heightened, embellished version of their friendship. but they do it with a humour and warmth that makes the show very watchable. as for their performance abilities, i haven't seen anything else that they've done, but i can't say on the evidence of broad city alone that they are poor performers, and i'm struggling to say anything disparaging about their work in it. if they've convincing to me as these two girls in new york that get up to hilarious hijinks, then they're good performers in my mind.

looking forward to poehler appearing in the finale.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 812
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:00 am

Looking forward to this program coming to Netflix.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:56 pm

I'm dumb and this show's on Hulu. Here goes.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:57 pm

In a semi-related story, a friend of mine accused me this weekend of getting my music recommendations from The L Word, a show I've never watched, but apparently have a lot of aesthetic overlap with.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Post by reuben Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:04 am

Duff... wrote:The L Word

Members-Only Ninja Turtles Fan Forum? hmmmm.... 
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:44 pm

If a person in real life actually started asking me questions about Members-Only Ninja Turtles Fan Forum I'd go home and get Saul Goodman's vacuum cleaner friend on the phone immediately.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Mon May 05, 2014 12:14 am

One of the best Mad Men eps I can remember.
    Ted Falconi
    Ted Falconi
    Shiek

Pizzas : 394

Post by Ted Falconi Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:53 pm

After True Tec ended, I wasn't watching anything on HBO. Never got into Game of Thrones or the 1920s mobster show. I didn't even see the end of Eastbound and Down. Their movie offerings were mostly take it or leave it, and I checked and Hung and Bored to Death were both not continuting, co I cancelled the channel. Last night I got home from a party and noticed that it was a free HBO / Cinemax weekend, and I binge watched Silicon Valley. Pretty great show, though of course the ending was bullshit. Internet says 2nd season forthcoming, and True Blood premiers tonight. I can't imagine it coming under the low bar I've got set for it, and if manage to check out John Oliver, I'll probably resubscribe. Crap.
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Have You Heard?

Pizzas : 275
    Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:09 pm

i've been pretty happy with John Oliver so far. his piece on FIFA was top notch
    damo suzuki
    damo suzuki
    Still has http://lotsofpeopleposting.teensboards.com bookmarked

Post by damo suzuki Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:19 am

Season 4 ending of Game of Thrones was really good. But I think the hype for it was overblown by the showrunners.

I've read all the books. I wasn't surprised by anything, per se. It was what I expected for the most part and was done well.

Stannis, the Mannis, was bad ass as usual.

Television Discussion Thread - Page 14 A5ab9e7c68d500db71a46404aadc02c037396b4d6a490bee6f887986f7b34348
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1145

Post by undo Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:37 pm

Why do people talk about A&E like it's some kind of premium channel full of groundbreaking shows?

Television Discussion Thread - Page 14 Aande_zps58cfd91e

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 1:03 pm