Post by zappo Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:38 pm

That's more than fair.
    Bruegel
    Bruegel
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 453

Futebol - Page 3 Empty Re: Futebol

Post by Bruegel Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:46 pm

jasperness wrote:when have i ever not been in "massive bleeding vagina territory" to you guys?
    i usually find your posts hilarious (intentionally and otherwise) - this recent outburst seems out of character and overly butthurt. i'm guessing it relates to what you recently posted in the 'going through some shit' thread.

chin-up dude. dont let faceless negging get you down.
    Bruegel
    Bruegel

Post by Bruegel Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:49 pm

be like Leo
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:00 pm

LOL @ AC Milan!
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:00 pm

Bruegel wrote:this recent outburst seems out of character and overly butthurt. i'm guessing it relates to what you recently posted in the 'going through some shit' thread.

chin-up dude. dont let faceless negging get you down.

hmm, to the best of my knowledge i've always been straddling the overly butthurt line and i have regular board-related outbursts.

in this era of not-hard-boarding it is even more frustrating when people would rather neg someone than take the time to respond to a post. to me, it stifles long-form posting when people just neg that and say "i don't value that you take time to make contributions to this board".
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:09 pm

Keep long-form posting. I don't usually do it for reasons you both do and don't mention, but I wish that I did and am grateful that you and others do. It's good for conversation, stimulates the mind, and usually gives one something worth chewing on (even when he or she disagrees with whatever's being written). Though I don't always have a response worth making, I do always read and appreciate that stuff. Keep fighting the good fight, B.
    Bruegel
    Bruegel

Post by Bruegel Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:16 pm

i just cant imagine getting my knickers in a twist over this shit.

feel free to neg me if it helps.

one of my gf's best friends in coming over from japan next month.

she's a massive kagawa fan and i've managed to get us tickets for the Arsenal v Man Utd game (in a home seating area, obvs)

now i've just got to stop her getting killed when she inevitably looses her shit when they inevitably beat us.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:17 pm

For the record, I am not the phantom negger. I pointed out in a previous sports-related thread that your analysis is almost always fun for me to read. Even if I don't always agree with it.

On that note, do you actually think that we will ever transcend our regional ties to sports teams? If so, you probably spend too much time on the Internet and have a ridiculously idealistic conception of how people interact with sporting teams. I don't know.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:12 am

Bruegel wrote:i just cant imagine getting my knickers in a twist over this shit.

feel free to neg me if it helps.

if people don't respond to my posts and just neg them i don't have much to post about except how no one is responding to my posts Very Happy

"getting twisted" over shit on the board to me is exactly the same time i would have spent boarding anyway
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:29 am

wp64 wrote:On that note, do you actually think that we will ever transcend our regional ties to sports teams? If so, you probably spend too much time on the Internet and have a ridiculously idealistic conception of how people interact with sporting teams. I don't know.

the "regional ties" that Americans have to their sporting franchises are weak and frankly arbitrary. it's not the same to be a fan of a corporate entity like an American sports franchise and to be a fan of a "sporting club". that line is so much more blurry today, to be sure. major football clubs are owned by boards and shareholders and Emerati's, not associations of local mine workers. still, the foundation of world football and world football culture is in these sporting clubs. compared with American sports teams they are much more local, such that Crystal Palace F.C., which was founded by workers at the insane 1851 Crystal Palace exhibition, still exists today. factor in the smaller size of many footballing nations and the fact that a country as small as England has hundreds of clubs. If you are a basketball fan in Missoula, M0ntana you have to drive 900 miles to see a Denver Nuggets game (the closest professional team to your city). a little bit of apples to oranges comparing the Denver Nuggets to Crystal Palace F.C., but still.

Dodger fans exist in Brooklyn and Los Angeles. The Sacramento Kings only moved to Sacramento in 1985. The Oakland Athletics won World Series titles in the 1970s in Oakland and the 1910s in Philadelphia. i just think it's different.
    Bruegel
    Bruegel

Post by Bruegel Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:48 am

jasperness wrote:[ compared with American sports teams they are much more local, such that Crystal Palace F.C., which was founded by workers at the insane 1851 Crystal Palace exhibition, still exists today.
    No they weren't. The "Groundkeepers" club that you're talking about was formed by ground keepers at the site 10 years after the exhibition finished. It's was also dissolved for thirty years before the Palace of today came into existence. Funny that you pick a London club that considers its "rivals" to be Brighton as an exemplar of the parochial nature of football affiliations.

all the people I know from Norwood support Man Utd.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Post by reuben Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:17 am

jasperness wrote:Dodger fans exist in Brooklyn
    Yeah but they are all senior citizens.

How many Ravens fans do you think there are in Cleveland?

jasperness wrote:If you are a basketball fan in Missoula, M0ntana you have to drive 900 miles to see a Denver Nuggets game (the closest professional team to your city).

I think the closest pro team to Missoula is actually the Jazz or the Trail Blazers but a basketball fan in Missoula would more likely go to a Grizzlies game than drive to Portland or Salt Lake City. In fact college sports is probably where you'll find the strongest regional ties to teams in smaller US markets.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:51 pm

Bruegel wrote:
    jasperness wrote:[ compared with American sports teams they are much more local, such that Crystal Palace F.C., which was founded by workers at the insane 1851 Crystal Palace exhibition, still exists today.
    No they weren't. The "Groundkeepers" club that you're talking about was formed by ground keepers at the site 10 years after the exhibition finished. It's was also dissolved for thirty years before the Palace of today came into existence. Funny that you pick a London club that considers its "rivals" to be Brighton as an exemplar of the parochial nature of football affiliations.

all the people I know from Norwood support Man Utd.

i was short handing it. i know it wasn't a continuous existence. and Brighton is far away that's true. and everyone across the pond has Americanized their fandom in the modern era and just supports a top club.

reuben wrote:
    jasperness wrote:If you are a basketball fan in Missoula, M0ntana you have to drive 900 miles to see a Denver Nuggets game (the closest professional team to your city).

I think the closest pro team to Missoula is actually the Jazz or the Trail Blazers but a basketball fan in Missoula would more likely go to a Grizzlies game than drive to Portland or Salt Lake City. In fact college sports is probably where you'll find the strongest regional ties to teams in smaller US markets.

one reason why i shouldn't google "closest NBA team to GGWC&NIABD".

the college game is definitely the American equivalent of parochial affiliations.
    Bruegel
    Bruegel

Post by Bruegel Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:13 pm

"short handing" as in completely botching the facts - you should be a politician.

now that i'm actually reading these generalisation-ridden wafflebites i'm beginning to understand the negs.
    yancy
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Post by yancy Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:25 pm

I don't know anything about this sport but I love when Jasper is in beast mode.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:27 pm

Bruegel wrote:"short handing" as in completely botching the facts - you should be a politician.

now that i'm actually reading these generalisation-ridden wafflebites i'm beginning to understand the negs.

no, short handing as in no one care about the details of that 50 year period so i didn't go into it. i don't know how i can be "botching facts" anyway when all i'm doing is paraphrasing some example from Wikipedia. not like i am a self-proclaimed expert.

and, uh, if you haven't noticed this is a very generalized conversation. i'm just trying to represent how i feel about sports fandom as it exists in world soccer from my vantage point and hopefully deepen my view by getting the generalities out and working from there.

i know you guys just looooooove picking holes in my posts like its some sort of peer reviewed journal. i'm really just trying the best i can over here and not spending too much time on any one post. sometimes (gasp) i even know when my posts are a little shorthanded and haphazard. i try to give people the benefit of the doubt that they can understand me and will not rip my well-intentioned opinions (lol).
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:40 pm

Bruegel wrote:generalisation-ridden wafflebites

i mean fucking come on. am i just offensively ignorant and reductionist all the time?
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Post by reuben Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:43 pm

Jasper I'm not trying to rip on you, but I think that when you use words like "obviously," "to be sure," "certainly," "always," etc., you come off as a more of a self-proclaimed expert than you might intend to.
    Bruegel
    Bruegel

Post by Bruegel Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:46 pm

botching as in they are two separate entities and the former was not "founded by workers at the insane 1851 Crystal Palace exhibition". getting stuff wrong is not paraphrasing.

jasperness wrote: not like i am a self-proclaimed expert.
    ^ i think i just need to read your posts with a massive pinch of this.
    Bruegel
    Bruegel

Post by Bruegel Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:47 pm

reuben, otm.

and not "all the time", jasper.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:54 pm

reuben wrote:Jasper I'm not trying to rip on you, but I think that when you use words like "obviously," "to be sure," "certainly," "always," etc., you come off as a more of a self-proclaimed expert than you might intend to.

i agree that it is sort of a "tic" for me to use words like that. i do try to not sound like that.

it is a compulsion for other people on the board to assume that my posts are trying to be the end-all for discussion though. maybe it is my fault for years of misplaced words but i don't fully believe that. i don't think people get my tone at all.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:06 pm

I'm warming up for ARSENAL versus BAYERN MUNICH on FOX SOCCER by playing my second FIFA 13 Create-A-Pro, Jazza Hitchberger, a German international and target man who is leading Doncaster Rovers towards promotion on loan this season.
    Bruegel
    Bruegel

Post by Bruegel Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:10 pm

i finally got promoted to division 3 on Seasons mode last week but went back down today with a paltry 6pts Sad

I'm warming up for ARSENAL versus BAYERN MUNICH on SKY SPORTS by drinking some SMOKED RYE PORTER from BRODIE'S
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:14 pm

wish I had a STEAK & KIDNEY baking in the cooker right now
    Bruegel
    Bruegel

Post by Bruegel Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:20 pm

fuck. might nip to the chippie at half time and grab a PUKKA.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content