Ted Falconi
31 posters

Television Discussion Thread

Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 995
    DispositionRock Guitars

Television Discussion Thread - Page 23 Empty Re: Television Discussion Thread

Post by Ned Braden Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:14 am

Only 13 minutes into the first Archer - Dreamland episode, and it's damn wonderful.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:05 pm

it's funny how Game of Thrones decided to finally become a good show in the last two seasons. last season was a fantastic slow burn and this season is almost too eventful. it's now a well-paced show that is legitimately thrilling every week.

the show was coasting in seasons 2-5 and at times was legitimately terrible as they tried to stretch the plot as thin as they could. now that they've ditched the shitty books it has found its footing again.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:50 am

lol 2017 Big Ed goes to the same barber as David Lynch.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:52 am

i've been thinking about that hair cut so much this week

who in Twin Peaks is giving out designer cuts like that?
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:09 am

So... I know I'm like 3 decades late on this, but Cheers seems like the sorta thing that I want life to be. 1.5 episodes in and this is already hitting all the sweet spots.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:48 am

I'm quite surprised to learn that Ned Braden isn't a long-time fan of Cheers. I still remember watching the series finale, way back when. Almost as memorable as my shock at seeing Woody in Natural Born Killers, shortly thereafter.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1139

Post by undo Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:51 am

reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Post by reuben Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:11 pm

Lynch is an auteur, man. He cuts his own damn hair.

art!
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Post by reuben Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:28 pm

Naomi Watts is so good as Janey Jones.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:48 pm

deleted your double post ruebs Smile

there is something insanely attractive to me about her in that role. she looks so damn good.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:52 pm

chrondog wrote:deleted your double post ruebs Smile

there is something insanely attractive to me about her in that role. she looks so damn good.

Yes 100% agree. The jeans and plain shirt look works so well for her. And the fuck me looks she has been giving Dougie are incredible.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:53 am

Halfway through season 2 of Billions. I think this show is a lot of fun to watch. It isn't something I'm so into that I've binged on it. Just kind of watch an episode or two every other week.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:59 pm

Somehow David Lynch is pulling off blackface week after week
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:54 am

I'm in a weird state after the Twin Peaks finale last night. I can't even explain it properly other than overwhelmed by what everyone associated with the show accomplished.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:17 pm

I really loved the final episode. Thought the series was utter shit, on the whole, but what an ending! 10/10.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:56 pm

Twin Peaks: The Return is one of my favorite things I've ever watched. I immediately want to watch it all again.

I hate to be the guy saying "the bad parts are what make it so good", but the changing rhythms and the dynamism of the series help make it so emotionally impactful. The contrast between some of the more dull moments earlier in the season and the incredible tension of the last two episodes was gripping. Even the last hour itself had tons of the dull shots of people's faces staring that Lynch has been ripped for, but in the end they are essential.

Not every show should be like this, but this show needed to be this. The Return thoroughly surpassed anything that was accomplished in the original series.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:11 pm

Yeah, I don't have a problem with slow and/or contemplative pacing/shooting.  Andrei Rublev is one of my favorite movies.  I've watched and loved Satantango.  Twice.  My complaints with this series (which I've now also watched twice, as Showtime did a marathon, yesterday) chalk up to how simple-minded, obvious, corny, and clumsy I found it to be...until the last 90 or so minutes.  I've historically tended to have really exaggerated views of Lynch's work (Blue Velvet, the Twin Peaks pilot and episode 2, The Straight Story, Inland Empire = 10s; Fire Walk with Me, Wild at Shart, Dune, and Lost Highway = 0s), so I guess I'm just being me.  

More power to y'all, though.  For real.  I envy your enjoyment and appreciation.  Undercooked Sausage once said this to me: "I wish I could love this.  I wish I could love everything.  But I don't." Glad you guys dug it.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:14 pm

Twin Peaks is certainly not the show where if someone doesn't like it I react with surprise or judgment.

That being said, Season 3 was possibly the best season of a TV show I've ever seen.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:33 pm

My understanding is that the (surviving) parties involved are all at least willing to consider another season. Would y'all be interested in seeing more? Or does this feel like THE END?
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:34 pm

Also, I just cannot stop thinking about that finale. God damn. Watched it twice, last night, and once this morning. Blew my brains all over the wall.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:57 am

Nick wrote:Twin Peaks is certainly not the show where if someone doesn't like it I react with surprise or judgment.

exactly

it would be cool to return to this world and get more episodes, but there's not an overwhelming need for that. the obsession with finding a "conclusion" for this show is tiring.

i'm 100% unfamiliar with Lynch's other work, so this stands alone for me
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:16 am

chrondog wrote:
    Nick wrote:Twin Peaks is certainly not the show where if someone doesn't like it I react with surprise or judgment.

exactly

it would be cool to return to this world and get more episodes, but there's not an overwhelming need for that. the obsession with finding a "conclusion" for this show is tiring.

i'm 100% unfamiliar with Lynch's other work, so this stands alone for me

Blue Velvet makes a great companion piece to The Return. My favorite of Lynch's films is Inland Empire. But keep in mind that is a 3 hour viewing experience that might not be for everyone.

Mulholland Drive, Eraserhead and Lost Highway are all wonderful. Lost Highway was the first Lynch film I ever saw and it had a huge influence on the way I appreciated movies from then on.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:20 pm

already through episode 10 of my The Return: Rewatch Cool

episode 8 made much more sense this time through lol
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Post by reuben Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:44 am

Can somebody explain to me
    Spoiler:
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:53 am

reuben wrote:Can somebody explain to me
    Spoiler:

When the new Dougie comes home both Janey-E and Sonny Jim greet him at the door.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 6:50 pm