reuben
Ted Falconi
31 posters

Television Discussion Thread

undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1138

Television Discussion Thread - Page 26 Empty Re: Television Discussion Thread

Post by undo Fri May 11, 2018 6:25 pm

Watched the first episode of this twice and I still don't know how I feel about it.

Also noticing for the first time that only the first 2 or 3 episodes of it are free and I really don't see myself signing up for yet another streaming service, oh well.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 65
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Fri May 11, 2018 9:55 pm

Nick wrote:I enjoyed every minute of tonight’s Atlanta.
    This show is sooooo good. I watched the entire first season in one sitting on my flight back from Italy last summer and fell in love with the aesthetic of the whole show. The second season has been great. I have really extreme reactions to everything that Donald Glover does. "Redbone" is one of my favorite tracks of the last few years, but I really hated all of the Childish Gambino albums that came out before that. I think Atlanta is the best show on television, but I found "This Is America" to be dumb and obvious and I do not understand how it has become fodder for chin-stroking think pieces.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 809
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sat May 12, 2018 12:20 am

I haven't watched Atlanta because of Childish Gambino. It's probably not a coincidence that his best song features no rapping.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Sat May 12, 2018 10:33 am

The two seasons of Atlanta are some of my favorite TV of the past several years. I re-watched all of Season 1 on a flight from Germany last summer!

The highs of Season 2 have made me realize that Glover is maybe the worst part of the show. I enjoyed the episodes when he wasn’t present or hardly there.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Sat May 12, 2018 3:38 pm

Dong Lover is cool, but he's always been better as a curator than a creative. In Season 1 of Atlanta he really set the stage for other people to shine which was one of the things that was so great about it. Excited to jump into Season 2 eventually.
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Have You Heard?

Pizzas : 275
    Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion Mon May 14, 2018 10:28 am

undo wrote:
    ClosetOfExhaustion wrote:Brooklyn 99 is a pretty funny show. i haven't watched it regularly, but found it entirely reliable when i was seeking out ~24 minutes of situational comedy.

RIP

picked up by NBC now
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Thu May 24, 2018 10:32 pm

undo wrote:

Watched the first episode of this twice and I still don't know how I feel about it.

Also noticing for the first time that only the first 2 or 3 episodes of it are free and I really don't see myself signing up for yet another streaming service, oh well.

First month of this is free and this show kind of rules.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Tue May 29, 2018 8:04 am

I finished the 6th episode of The Terror last night. This show is very good. I was trying to explain it over dinner to some people and I made the comparison in mood to The Shining.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:52 pm

This show is amazing.

And then in the last two episodes it turns into The Office for some reason and that wasn't really what I wanted out of it but eh
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 282
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:10 am

Succession. Anyone else ride this train?
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 282
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:59 pm

Anyone watching The Deuce?

It feels like they are upping the ‘cool’ factor this season and I’m not a fan. This season takes place in 1977 and in one scene they have a band at a NY bar playing New Rose by The Damned. It doesn’t look like it’s meant to be The Damned because the singer has a beard. The bar owner talks to the singer who clearly doesn’t have an English accent and ends up signing her vinyl. The vinyl doesn’t look like any album Ive seen so I don’t understand who this band is supposed to be. Wouldn’t a NY band be more likely to cover the stooges or VU? Beyond that they elude to it being the bands ‘new sound.’

Just like in Vinyl they make it seem like punk was widely and immediately accepted
    quip
    quip
    Jasper's Yurt of Enlightened Conversation

Pizzas : 74

Post by quip Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:34 pm

Atlanta is amazing.

Just finished Forever which was good overall with one standout episode that elevated the entire series.

Also watching Billions but it's pretty silly and I get that same "I don't think I'm bro enough for this show" feeling that I had when watching Entourage.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:09 pm

I’m now into Season 4 of The Americans. It is consistently good but goddamn is this a serious show.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 993
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:27 am

Turns out Buffy the Vampire Slayer was like one of the best shows ever on tv.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 65
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:55 pm

BGwaves wrote:Succession. Anyone else ride this train?
    I watched this whole thing about a month ago. It's a really fun watch. As a drama, it's kind of middling and unspectacular. But its comedic moments, of which there are many, really makes up for that. I also watching Sharp Objects recently. It's fantastic and I am surprised that more people are not talking about this show. The ending had me all sorts of imlikewhoa
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:06 am

Does anyone else remember this
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:45 pm

Ned Braden wrote:Turns out Buffy the Vampire Slayer was like one of the best shows ever on tv.

Binged the hell out of the first four seasons and it is brilliant, soulful, superbly 90s, and with no characters that aren’t amazing. My favorite episodes so far might be the season 4 finale with a bunch of Twin Peaksy dream sequences or the episode that ignores the “main” plot to focus on Xander goofily running around and doing the most amazing shit possible. Ten thumbs up, will binge watch to completion.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:08 pm

Have you been keeping up with Better Call Saul?
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:30 am

I haven’t! But I think it is the best show on tv. I’d been waiting until it gets released on Netflix.
    Ted Falconi
    Ted Falconi
    Shiek

Pizzas : 394

Post by Ted Falconi Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:53 pm

Watching Riverdale. Jughead just said "Its like being inside a Philip K. Dick novel".
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:32 pm

Happy Halloween, bros. Enjoy this blast from the past.

Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:41 am

Ned Braden wrote:
    Ned Braden wrote:Turns out Buffy the Vampire Slayer was like one of the best shows ever on tv.

Binged the hell out of the first four seasons and it is brilliant, soulful, superbly 90s, and with no characters that aren’t amazing. My favorite episodes so far might be the season 4 finale with a bunch of Twin Peaksy dream sequences or the episode that ignores the “main” plot to focus on Xander goofily running around and doing the most amazing shit possible. Ten thumbs up, will binge watch to completion.

Done. Feels like I’m not overstating when I say that this was the best show ever to air on the TV.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 809
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:21 pm

Why haven't I watched this yet?

Maybe still salty they departed so widely from the Kristy Swanson/Luke Perry iteration.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:33 am

I watched the first two episodes of True Detective tonight. All I know is Mahershala Ali is a fine actor and his presence alone is going to keep me watching and anticipating each new episode.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:16 am

Netflix adaptations of Daredevil, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones and The Punisher are all so fucking great and it’s a shame that they’re getting cancelled one by one for no good reason.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:34 pm