Ted Falconi
31 posters

Television Discussion Thread

Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Pizzas : 161
    Dispositionpickled

Television Discussion Thread - Page 30 Empty Re: Television Discussion Thread

Post by Michael K. Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:50 am

BGwaves wrote:Anyone watching HBOs The Watchmen?

OMG yes. A show that squares up on the topic of DEEEEEEPPPP institutional racism w/o even slightly veering toward pedantry? Like BG said, not a superhero show. Watch it as soon as you can, imo.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 283
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:32 pm

Episode eight made me tear up and I could t stop thinking about it all day. Only a few episodes of tv have ever effected me that way. Amazing show.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 67
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:48 pm

Damn. It sounds like I need to watch this then. I watched the first episode but it caught me off guard and I wasn't fully absorbed in it either.
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:33 pm

^I felt the same way for the first three eps, fwiw. I assumed I was watching a superhero show - which is dumb, because I'm pretty familiar with the source material - and not something with grander aspirations. Was fairly stoned for the first two eps and that's not really the way to watch this. Takes a lot of attention to get what's coming at you, imo. I'd say jump in, WP. Given your interests, tendencies toward analytical thought, and political thoughts, I think you'd find it compelling.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 995
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:05 pm

This is a shot in the dark, but does anybody remember this scene from what I believe was a 90s sitcom:

There are some friends in a (bar? I really have a cheers vibe going, but I don't think it was cheers) and they are having a discussion about where everybody went to college. The janitor, quietly mutters "I went to Yale."

I've been googling that for years and all that turns up are dudes from Harvard posting jokes... no idea what TV show put that in my brain, but it's been in there for a long time.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:13 am

I just watched the first 2 episodes of Watchmen and loved every minute but honestly it was the preview for The New Pope where I was like yes inject this into my heart.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:52 am

Ned, I had a very vague memory (like, not even a memory, just a piece of information that you suddenly conjured in my head) that the janitor from Scrubs may have gone to Yale and a wuick Google gives me this piece of trivia.

Wikipedia wrote:The Janitor has mentioned that he went to Harvard in the episode "My Brother, Where Art Thou?" while also saying he went to Yale in "My Déjà vu, My Déjà vu".

Having said that I think what I may actually be remembering is that he briefly had a lead part on a TV show and nothing is going to make me sit through a second of Scrubs in order to find out.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1140

Post by undo Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:31 pm

Television Discussion Thread - Page 30 MV5BYWY0YzMwNDgtMTA1NS00ZWU5LWFjNTktNDQyYjFjOWU3M2Y4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjk2Mjc2OTI@._V1_

Television Discussion Thread - Page 30 11845510

this looks like an Adult Swim show
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:42 am

The last thing in the world I would think I´d be interested in is a Saved by the Bell reboot in 2020, but reading this very brief synopsis makes it sound bizarely self-aware and interesting

https://news.avclub.com/peacocks-bizarre-saved-by-the-bell-reboot-has-a-cast-1841284670

Zack Morris, trash bag popular manipulative kid becomes governor and fucks over poor people sounds like (anti)fanfic that a harsh critic of the original might have penned. I still have no reason to think the actual show will be either good or written in a way that follows this theme, but you never know.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 810
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:32 pm

Veronica Mars arrived on Hulu (with a new season!) so I'm rewatching it and man.

1 This show is way older than my brain has acknowledged. Kristen Bell looks like a baby, and the outfit choices are.... something.

2 This came out in the early days of "MUSIC SUPERVISOR" being some big deal in prestige television, and one of the joys of watching this in 2020 is returning to a time when West Indian Girl and Louis XIV could be used to signal indie cred. There's an episode where this guy starts singing karaoke and I think "Wait, is the Courtney Taylor Taylor?" and not 30 seconds later some other guy shows up and I'm like "Oh wait, THAT is Courtney Taylor Taylor". Looking forward to Britt Daniel's cameo.

There's no real point to this rambling post but I'm gonna hit send anyway.
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:10 pm

Got a real soft spot for V Mars. First TV I watched where I thought, whoa, TV can be really good! Have contemplated doing the rewatch, but what you're saying is maybe don't?
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 810
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:51 pm

Oh, I'm definitely saying do. Could be that my slog through Gilmore Girls, which becomes a joyless chore the last couple seasons, has made me a cheap date, but that first season at least is really sharp and compelling, even if you know how it ends.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:13 pm

John Mulaney and the Sack Lunch Bunch is sort of just Sesame Street for grown ups who are sad. And it includes the line “Everything’s going to be fine, David Byrne,” which is among the best things I’ve seen on tv.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:06 am

The New Pope is as terrific as I’d hoped it would be. The opening sequence/song each episode is basically one of the best ever and the season has upped the weirdness, storyline intrigue and overall sexiness from The Young Pope. All of that with Jude Law in a coma for the first several episodes.

Episode 4 opens with Marilyn Manson playing himself having a hilarious exchange with John Malkovich.

Highly recommend this show!
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:57 pm

Im so excited to see new Better Call Saul. Rewatching the whole thing before I do.

Is it... the greatest television show ever? IMHO it should be in the conversation. Well, at least so far.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:21 am

That's definitely an opinion I've been exploring lately
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:00 pm

Semi spoiler alert from way back in season one but
    Spoiler:

Yeah, BCS is incredible
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:21 pm

At the end of the day, all I want is a Kim Wexler. Very few other things matter.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:07 pm

The subtle plot line where Chuck and Jimmy are, in so many ways, the same guy.

All those times Kim listens to a long Jimmy monologue and responds, “OK.”

The montages. Fuck, the montages. “Something Stupid” montage.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:15 pm

I am watching "Tiger King" on Netflix.

Unless you love feeling bored, you should watch it too.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:31 pm

You weren’t kidding.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:44 am

undo wrote:I am watching "Tiger King" on Netflix.

Unless you love feeling bored, you should watch it too.

Spoiler:
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:16 am

Do you ever "binge watch" sitcoms like Friends or The Office?

I can't understand how this is a thing in 2020, you can watch literally almost anything else you can think of, anything you've ever wanted to see.

This just strikes me as the biggest waste of time, I mean who am I to judge but what are you even living for anymore

It's a comfort food-type thing? Something I shouldn't judge?
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:27 pm

I didn’t enjoy Friends or The Office when they originally aired couldn’t imagine binging them now!
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:04 pm

Definitely binged Friends as a 13 year old (think Courtney Cox may have been my first celebrity crush, not sure if that factored into it). Can no longer understand how I found it enjoyable even at that age, but I have made it through other old shows in record time... But like, good shows, can't tell if you're including the quality as a caveat but I suspect you are so I agree, massive waste of time.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 9:45 pm