Ted Falconi
20 posters

THE 2016 US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION

WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 67
    DispositionIntransigent

THE 2016 US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION - Page 9 Empty Re: THE 2016 US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION

Post by WP64 Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:10 am

I was six years old when Clinton left office so I obviously don't remember any of it and obviously I would feel a lot safer with Bill walking around the old White House corridors again in his house slippers than I would with Trump.

But I don't think it is fair to dismiss the problematic aspects of the previous Clinton presidency just because the thought of Trump is horrific. Obviously I understand that her comment sounds specifically awful in retrospect. But it should have been pretty awful to hear in 1996 when she first said it as well and she should be made to confront her past comments.

This GOP debate is a blood sport. They need to finally vote Kasich and Carson off the island so that the shitstorm can really ramp itself up. Doesn't Megyn Kelly moderate the next one? Can't fucking wait!!
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

THE 2016 US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION - Page 9 Empty Re: THE 2016 US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION

Post by WP64 Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:58 am

Goddamn that was amazing. There was a moment there where Rubio-Trump-Cruz were all screaming at the same time and giving each other intimidation tactics while Wolf tried to control the chaos.

Also, if someone could get me a vine or whatever the fuck of Carson saying "could someone please attack me" I would love that. I was laughing so hard at that I almost passed out.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 876

Post by zappo Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:51 am

THE 2016 US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION - Page 9 Gopdebate-614x412
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 876

Post by zappo Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:56 am

Ҩ wrote:Also, if someone could get me a vine or whatever the fuck of Carson saying "could someone please attack me" I would love that. I was laughing so hard at that I almost passed out.

WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:54 pm

Man that's too awesome. Thanks Zappo!

Also, can someone explain to me what the ballot looks like on March 15th? I've never voted in a primary before... Is the only thing on there going to be the Presidential race? Isn't there a contested race for State's Attorney going on right now. Is there someway for me to type in my zip code or something and figure out who is going to be on the ballot so I can make an informed decision about every candidate. I've been trying to figure this out using Google for like fifteen minutes and I can't do it. Seems like this should not be that hard...
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 812
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:19 am

http://www.chicagoelections.com/en/your-voter-information.html

Vote Kim Foxx.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:43 am

Fantastic! Thanks Duff!
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:55 am

Sanders getting beat that thoroughly in South Carolina tonight is basically the death kneel of his nomination chances. Sad

His speech in Minnesota tonight though framed the rest of his campaign in a very exciting way. Every vote that he gets seems to affirm that there is a legitimate groundswell of people in this country who want to support actual Leftist policy that isn't just the same ole cudgeled centrism that the DNC has been stumping ever since the rise of Reagan. The problem electorally is that progressives get so freaked out by the alternative that a large enough coalition assembles itself around safe, 'electable,' centrist candidates. At some point there is going to be some electoral risks that the Left is going to have to make but 2016 might not be the right time.

I've been thinking about different career options though. I feel like I'm hitting a dead end with what I could do in academia for a lot reasons. If I were to pursue it any further it would be consuming in a way that I'm not at all prepared for right now, or maybe ever. I'm thinking about applying to some programs in urban planning in California. I would be pretty excited to develop the skills to get a job working within the State where I could use my small amount of bureaucratic power to passionately fight corruption while defending citizens rights to education, health care, and decent pay. I'm passionate enough about these kinds of things that it would be fulfilling and when I look back at what I achieved it might actually feel good... Plus, if I ever wanted to make a change I could always apply to PhD programs and by then I would be old enough that I would be financially independent and mature enough to actually do something meaningful in that field.

Hopefully other young Bernie supporters are thinking the same thing. If this is what y'all meant by 'incremental change' than maybe, just maybe, I'm on board!!
    coyote
    coyote
    A classically handsome man's man in the Huey Lewis mold

Pizzas : 99

Post by coyote Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:07 am

Ҩ wrote:Sanders getting beat that thoroughly in South Carolina tonight is basically the death kneel of his nomination chances. Sad

I don't completely feel this way, but I am disheartened by the massive loss. The media is breathing a sigh of relief that Bernie got trounced, but I believe Super Tuesday will be a great fight, or at least we will find out the truth. Everyone get out and vote!

I was part of the march yesterday and have been involved in the campaign. I do NOT want to see Hillary win but will vote for her if she is the nominee.

Bernie Sanders losing will break my heart.
    Ted Falconi
    Ted Falconi
    Shiek

Pizzas : 394

Post by Ted Falconi Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:52 pm

coyote wrote:

I don't completely feel this way, but I am disheartened by the massive loss.  The media is breathing a sigh of relief that Bernie got trounced... 

I'm seeing a quite a bit of high-fiving on the facebooks amongst my BernieBro friends over how much better he did than he was supposed to (I don't think this is true - wasn't he polling in the 30s) and how weak Hillary looks now. It's a little Rubioesque.

coyote wrote:
    I do NOT want to see Hillary win but will vote for her if she is the nominee.

Bernie Sanders losing will break my heart.

I'm relatively disengaged emotionally from it this time around. I'm following the contest, but don't feel super strongly for or against anybody. Including Trump.
    Many of the abovementioned are "If I can't vote for Bernie, this country can go to fucking hell, and here's a link to an article that says that Clinton can't beat a Republican, but Bernie can" types.
    I voted for Nader in 2000. In Illinois, so it didn't actually make a difference, and I think Clinton is likewise a safe bet to win here by a large margin, but there may be consequences for "refusing to keep voting for the lesser of two evils".
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:14 pm

Super Tuesday could still be interesting. I've been more active this year than I ever have been. Everyone I know at DePaul and all my friends from home are all voting for Bernie. I even convinced my father, who typically votes Republican, to support Bernie in the primary. My pitch was basically "hey, so you're not going to vote for Republicans this year anyway so just do this for me, he isn't going to win anyway but every vote matters."

I think it is surprising how open middle-aged, mostly conservative white folk are to Bernie's message. I've spent a lot of hours phone banking in Illinois and I get a lot of middle aged dudes from places like Dixon or Moline who admit that they are Republicans but are very seriously considering supporting Sanders this time around. That is something to be happy about it!

As for the South Carolina defeat. It is literally impossible to spin this as anything other than a huge electoral defeat. Someone on CNN made a good point last night though! Even though the media continues to frame the black vote as a monolithic voice it simply isn't true. That's pretty obvious too. There are a lot of very visible, vocal black Leftist leaders who are supporting Bernie. The problem is that this camp isn't set up for electoral campaigns. I'm hoping that Bernie can galvanize young black and latino voters more than anything else. If the message can resonate in that demographic then I think the campaign will be successful and you can start feeling pretty hopeful about building a multiracial coalition of voters support a great President in like 2024 or something! cheers
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 997
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:13 pm

Seems to be a lot of "Clinton and Sanders are both good" opinions here.
    That considered, serious question: any of you guys voting republican in the primary just to vote against the lunatic(s)? Heading to the polls now and seriously considering.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:00 pm

Jumping into the TrumpTwitter wormhole just now gave me vertigo.

It's literally nothing but insults, memes, factually incorrect information, racism, and a cult of personality. There is no other way to characterize the information that changes hands there.

It's nearly impossible to put together a list of things that his "supporters" like because it's 100% projection. It's "he's not bought", "he'll fight the establishment", "he fights for Americans, not politics", "he is a voice for my people" (read: American xenophobes of all colors). It is not based on anything he has ever done or a record of supporting those people or causes.

It's pure fascism.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 980

Post by Nick Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:17 pm

Trump supporters are spineless followers that gravitate to someone who is an authoritative figure bc they can't lead on their own. I see all the same combined with how people like his honesty, LOL.

And of course the usual he can't do worse than Obama horseshit responses.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:18 pm

jasperness wrote:"he is a voice for my people" (read: American xenophobes of all colors)

I fucking hate this so much, http://www.nytimes.com/live/super-tuesday-2016-elections/a-muslim-woman/:

RICHFIELD, Minn. – When Fadumo Yusuf showed up at a Donald J. Trump rally here wearing a gold hijab, she was practically mobbed by campaign volunteers.

A Trump sticker made its way onto her hijab,and she was handed a large Trump sign and directed to the front of the group, so she could be interviewed by a local news station.

Ms. Yusuf, 34, a Muslim immigrant from Ethiopia who lives in Minneapolis, and her husband appeared to be the only nonwhites among roughly 300 people who gathered Sunday at the American Legion in this Minneapolis suburb.

One volunteer begged her to do an on-camera interview. “You are a brave, beautiful woman, and I’m proud of you,” the volunteer told Ms. Yusuf, who obliged. Chris Hupke, a Trump adviser, posed for a picture beside Ms. Yusuf, flashing a thumbs-up and then asking for her name. (Her husband was largely overlooked.)

“From the minute I came inside, everybody welcomed me,” Ms. Yusuf said. “It showed me a different thing – not hate but love.”

Ms. Yusuf is well aware that her decision to caucus tonight for Mr. Trump will surprise many people – and that the sight of a hijab-wearing Muslim holding a Trump sign can cause people to do a double take.

She does not pretend to agree with Mr. Trump’s proposal to bar Muslim immigrants from entering the country. “That was hurtful,” Ms. Yusuf said.

But she does not consider Mr. Trump a bad person, just ill-informed.

“I believe he has a heart, so I will overlook that,” she said. “He doesn’t know a lot about the Muslim community. I want to give him a chance to see who we are. We are not terrorists. We are great Muslim Americans. We are his people.”

It’s clear Ms. Yusuf has mixed emotions about Mr. Trump’s stance on immigration. As an immigrant, she empathizes with the plight of Mexicans pursuing a better life in the United States. “We need the wall,” she said, “but I’m concerned also about their lives, because they are seeking help.”

And she hasn’t read up on his proposal to deport 11 million undocumented immigrants, which gives her pause. “When he says illegal immigrants,” she asked, “what does he mean by that?”

What does propel her is the belief that Mr. Trump can be, as he has boasted, “the greatest jobs president that God ever created.”

Since earning an accounting degree from a community college in St. Paul in 2010, she said she had applied for more than 20 accounting positions and had not received a single offer. In her view, she has done her part to achieve the American dream, but America hasn’t upheld its end of the bargain.

“I feel cheated,” Ms. Yusuf said.

Instead, she’s working two part-time jobs – earning $11 an hour as a physical therapist assistant and $9 an hour working in child care – and pouring all of her income into rent. To cover other expenses, like diapers and wipes for her 15-month-old son, she’s borrowing on her mom’s credit card.

“It feels to me like: ‘You should be better than this. You shouldn’t be using your mom,’” she said.

Yet Ms. Yusuf is optimistic about the future. She said she trusted that Mr. Trump could create more good-paying jobs, bring some back from overseas and lower taxes so small-business owners could make additional hires. Then everything will start adding up again, she said, and life will be easier for her and her five children.

“We need to support Trump for a great America,” she said.

This woman's views are total garbage and show how the mythology of the "American Dream" can create an American Xenophobe out of anyone, regardless of their background.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:21 pm

Isn't this phenomenal?

THE 2016 US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION - Page 9 Ccfh3C4WAAAuE6Y
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Post by reuben Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:32 pm

I wonder how Trump feels about jelly beans.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:58 pm

I'm watching CNN, listening to The Stooges, and getting drunk tonight.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:07 pm

At least Clinton's impressive performance in the South will serve her well in the GE.... Fuck it.
    THE 2016 US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION - Page 9 9fa39fd3fcafa59bb0b38411cfcac794
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1145

Post by undo Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:27 pm

The Trump = Hitler memes feel as desperate as the Obama = Hitler in Joker makeup ones that were going around 4 years ago. But what do you do when (stop me if I'm just repeating a fake narrative here) legitimate criticisms only seem to strengthen the resolve of all his supporters? Maybe those people are a lost cause but you know what I mean?

Ned Braden wrote:Seems to be a lot of "Clinton and Sanders are both good" opinions here.
    That considered, serious question: any of you guys voting republican in the primary just to vote against the lunatic(s)? Heading to the polls now and seriously considering.

I tried to sabotage the primary 4 years ago by voting for Santorum and a couple of months ago I was sure that I'd do it again this year with a vote for Trump. That's probably not going to happen anymore.

Here's where my head is at today: if you asked me if I'd rather have Marco Rubio for President (or any other Republican who's not Ben Carson or Ted Cruz), or Trump simply as the Republican nominee vs. Hillary/Bernie/both, I don't know which I'd choose. That's how scared I am of this whole thing at this point!
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:19 am

Jesus how does a guy like Ted Cruz even get this far in life?
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:17 am

Right wing nut jobs getting creative on Microsoft Paint and comparing Obama to a fictional Batman character is wildly different than pointing out the real historical similarities between Trump and other real authoritarian xenophobes. I'm not saying that the similarities are overwhelming but they are worth nothing. He did willingly re-tweet a fucking Mussolini quote last week. I don't remember ever reading "WHY SO SERIOUS?!" Obama tweets in '08.

I'm beyond pissed off tonight. This is just a travesty. Another brilliant move on Trump's part to turn his victory speech into a calm, business-like press conference. By the way, he said this for the first time tonight (I think) and we are going to be hearing it all the way until November and whether or not this statement resonates with voting bases is going to determine the general election. Re: Clinton bitching about income inequality during tonight's speech. Trump is going to continually point out that she has been in various positions of political power for the past two or three decades and hasn't been able to affect the desired change, so why should we trust her now?

That's pretty damning actually. Even if Trump loses in the general election to HRC that is going to continue to be a problem in the future. The only way that the Democratic Party is going to affect change is if they make a much needed shift to the Left. That isn't going to happen, of course. So even if we don't get Trump in 2016 we will end up with some other disaster candidate in the near future.

It's all just so fucking disgusting. I think the blame falls on the Democratic Party. Right now it certainly looks like the Republican Party is shattering (and even if it doesn't its basically just a hate group anyway) but it might be even more disturbing that the supposed Left in this country is coalescing around ideas that aren't going to affect substantial change to better the lives and opportunities of lower-income families (especially families and individuals of color). Right now there is a bill that has the backing of multiple Democratic Senators that supports and legitimizes predatory payday loan institutions. These institutions are able to charge insane interest rates (as high as 300-400%) and are abusing disadvantaged communities while pushing individuals into inescapable debt. Bernie mentioned this on the campaign, it got like two days of attention by the media, and now it has been forgotten because Trump said Rubio queefed himself during last weeks debate or whatever.

I think I'm speaking to the choir right now and I know that I'm not telling you guys anything new. I'm just grasping at straws.

Last edited by Ҩ on Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:54 am; edited 1 time in total
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:39 am

Any chance Hillary goes into full on attack mode during the generals and accuses Trump of being a cuckold. Might as well embrace the circus at this point since nothing seems to matter.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:32 am

I am looking forward to that first Trump vs. HRC debate.

HRC will make a logical point about something and Trump will counter "Look, Hilary, you don't know what you're doing. I do and it will be great."

Then 7 of the 9 knuckle heads on CNN will declare Trump was very presidential.
    tjenz
    tjenz
    Bass Player from Creepy D

Pizzas : 80

Post by tjenz Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:08 am

Until very recently, I thought Trump winning the nod meant a cakewalk into the White House for Clinton or Sanders. Now, I’m not so sure. Trump continually defies all the conventional wisdom. I’m honestly not sure who I would be more scared of as President, Trump or Cruz. Cruz is a true believer to the conservative cause and he’s extremely savvy. Trump is a loose cannon filled with a tremendous amount of bullshit and hatred.
    This thing really looks like it is Trump's to lose.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:24 am