zappo
C-poots
16 posters

Selected Ambient Works, a Thread

vIv
    vIv
    Volunteer worker

Pizzas : 89

Selected Ambient Works, a Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: Selected Ambient Works, a Thread

Post by vIv Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:26 pm

I'm not sure if we consider Windy and Carl to be shoegaze, or post rock, or slowcore/ "Low"core, or ambient, but this new album of theirs, which has elements of all of the above, is pretty enjoyable stuff and has lent a gauzy and plangent sheen to my late night sound experiments the last couple of nights. I've read some bitching about it in reviews, but I actually like her singing a lot.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Selected Ambient Works, a Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: Selected Ambient Works, a Thread

Post by chrondog Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:15 pm

i saw this got nominated for a Grammy and checked it out:

pretty breezy marimba ambient stuff that could be a soundtrack from the artist formerly known as Blood Orange
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 282
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:02 am

undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1138

Post by undo Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:07 pm

This is like Shuttle358 meets Susumu Yokota, really intricate and textured music that hits a sweet spot I really love. There's no YouTube upload of the whole album but these two random tracks in one YouTube video will give you a good taste of what it's about.

I've been living with this for a long time but it's never fully clicked with me until this morning.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:29 pm

Been back on a tonal ambient kick recently since my brain doesn't work anymore.

This is excellent, undo.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:28 pm

Do you have more Sonmi451 recs, Undo? Going through this for the second time today. He has some recent stuff on Spotify, but not the old stuff.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:39 pm

All I've really heard are A Phosphorous Spot and Vladivostok, the latter of which I may actually prefer. Being that these were his first two albums, this doesn't help you much.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:15 pm

YouTube is great for listening while working

here's the whole EP Vladivostok is on
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Pizzas : 201

Post by C-poots Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:21 am

I recently picked up Laurie Spiegel's The Expanding Universe, which I had never actually listened to before, which is great. The longer ambient title track sounds like an early influence for Keith Fullerton Whitman's Playthroughs.

Selected Ambient Works, a Thread - Page 9 3111638

Also waiting for Fennesz's Agora to arrive in the mail. Having only heard 1/2 of the lead track, I'm excited to hear more. That first track is fantastic.

Selected Ambient Works, a Thread - Page 9 A4110479088_5
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Thu May 06, 2021 4:30 pm

Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 993
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:05 pm

Shameless plug for my brother's ambient project.

I'm really not much of an ambient music guy most of the time... but this guy is my favorite guy and I figured I'd share it here in case folks wanted to give it a spin. It's pretty.

https://darganenergy.bandcamp.com/album/wtr-clr
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:42 pm

^ this is great stuff
    coyote
    coyote
    A classically handsome man's man in the Huey Lewis mold

Pizzas : 99

Post by coyote Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:42 pm

Enjoying Dbaggins music. Had no idea he has like 40 albums worth of stuff on Spotify. If you’re out there man, good run
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:38 pm

This is a phenomenal list of stuff I haven't heard: https://www.popmatters.com/best-ambient-instrumental-albums-2021/2
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:08 pm

KMRU - Peel

Thick, slowly evolving drones, mixed with field recordings and extra layers of electronics to create beautiful moments for you to exist in. The title track Peel is currently playing as I wait for my son to get out of school. The slow moving traffic, lightly swaying trees, and students walking by is lovely to take in as this flows in the background. Highly recommended for fans of this thread.

https://kmru.bandcamp.com/album/peel
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:23 pm

Ive mentioned Eli Keszler in a few scattered posts in random threads but this is where his music belongs. This song brings such a weird feeling. It’s almost perfect for out snowy conditions at the moment. The whole album shines like this jewel but this one shine a a little brighter. The 3-4 note bell hits that happen halfway through feels weirdly like something you’d hear in Fantasia. I love this record and highly recommend it.
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 259

Post by jesus jones Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:38 pm

https://bblisss.bandcamp.com/album/bblisss

still one of the best comps there is
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:52 pm

David Toop - Apparition Paintings
    https://room40.bandcamp.com/album/apparition-paintings

This was one of my favorites from 2020. Sound recordings, live instrumentation, electronics. It’s hard to tell if this was improvised or written but it’s definitely not conventional. Leans towards what Eno and Co. were doing on Ambient 4. Highly recommended if you need something a little more psychedelic than relaxing.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:10 am

Too high to link this the right way

https://lineimprint.bandcamp.com/track/museu

undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:35 pm

jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 259

Post by jesus jones Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:14 pm

https://music-from-memory.bandcamp.com/album/resonant-bodies

been listening to this a ton in the past week
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:00 am

Odd Nosdam deserves more credit for being super influential in the aughts. Besides Tortoise - Standards and Radiohead - Kid A, this album is probably the third most important album of my lifetime. I wouldn’t call this rap, although it was categorized as such in its day. I’d put it closer to ambient collage with rapping sprinkled in throughout. But it’s Odd Nosdams beat making style that is the dominant force of this recording. Early on when the little girls voice breaks through the heavy atmosphere to ponder ‘where are you going?’ I still get chills and laugh a little. The music is filled with these little moments that are dumb yet profound at the same time. ‘I must admit, I’ve been greedy, with gravity.’ What does this mean? Who cares?? When you’re on shrooms it sounds like hearing gods name! One day I’ll be the most underground I’ll ever be.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:44 pm

I don't really know how I feel about posting this in the ambient thread but

https://space-afrika.bandcamp.com/album/honest-labour

the "for fans of Odd Nosdam" recommendation is what got me to check it out and I'm glad I did
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:16 pm

BJ Nilsen - Irreal

Selected Ambient Works, a Thread - Page 9 A0363959156_10

Field recordings and improv electronics mixed together into a sound collage. I could say more but this is an experience and I don’t want to ruin it for anyone who may want a listen. Beyond Pebbles, Rubble, and Dust should be experienced with headphones. Really the whole album but most definitely that one track.

https://bjnilsenemego.bandcamp.com/album/irreal
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:33 pm

Spent a few weeks in Canada and downloaded several albums to my phone for the patches with no network. This album in particular stood out. It may have been the timing of certain moments with certain vistas but overall it was perfect during its moment. I’d been meaning to post about it for a while, it’s been a goto listen for me on my drives home, this trip sealed it. Enjoy!

Selected Ambient Works, a Thread - Page 9 A4079350586_65

https://ctatsu.bandcamp.com/album/pastorale

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:31 am