13 posters

2022 musical recordings

undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1140

2022 musical recordings - Page 3 Empty Re: 2022 musical recordings

Post by undo Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:53 pm

BGwaves wrote:2022 musical recordings - Page 3 4Fm5MfwnvUrPgAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

https://caribouband.bandcamp.com/album/cherry

I listened to this album twice today. It is very very good. I haven’t heard an electronic ‘album’ in a while that captivated me as much as this one. The sample style and overall structure of the beats is very reminiscent of the middle 90s American scene, chi, det, nyc. They also sound raw and underproduced and I think that has a lot to do with the fact that he’s using presets. Rather than tweak the sounds, which is what everyone does these days, using the presets gives it the old school edge but still has a modern sound design. Fans of moodyman, DJ Sneak, Jeff mills, Robert hood, or ‘Homework’ would probably enjoy.

This is really good
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Pizzas : 201

Post by C-poots Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:28 pm

Madrox Reloaded wrote:1975 is the only good band left

I can't think of any other band that I've felt so polarized about like sometimes there's something there I really appreciate and the songs sound like unique takes on traditional pop rock stuff, and some of the lyrics are pretty witty and likable, and other times its just like, holy hell man this cheesy ass sincerity is just too much and its not cool or nice it just makes me feel gross like I'm a 30 year old who doesn't look away when two 15 year olds are kissing and holding hands.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:52 am

https://samgendel.bandcamp.com/album/blueblue

Hitting the spot tonight
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 283
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:54 pm

Yeah that Sam Gendel record is great. The vibe on this one makes me feel like cooking some soup!

Checked out the new Burial last night and again on my way home from work. If you like his stuff without beats or vocals this thing is right up your alley! There are some vocal snips but not the kind he did on his last album with no beats. This is very much an ambient experience. For fans of G A S, oval, and other textured ambient music.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:32 pm

I only listened to Antidawn once so yeah I have not given that recording the patient listen that it may possibly require.

Hoping this new one shakes off whatever it was about that release that I wasn't really getting into but the constant comparisons to it that it's getting have my expectations somewhat low!
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:00 am

All I can ever say about music now is "this is good" or "I like this" but you can take both those to the bank with this one

This is a totally different experience (for me!) than Antidawn was and it's an absolutely great Burial thing

BGwaves wrote:For fans of G A S, oval, and other textured ambient music.

I also get Radiohead-meets-Coil vibes in moments, perhaps they're not "meeting" but you know

Just preordered the vinyl for... February oh geez
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:18 pm

undo wrote:I only listened to Antidawn once so yeah I have not given that recording the patient listen that it may possibly require.

Hoping this new one shakes off whatever it was about that release that I wasn't really getting into but the constant comparisons to it that it's getting have my expectations somewhat low!

This is exactly how I felt before I pressed play, lol! Anti dawn was fine but I think it was overstuffed with vocal samples and ‘pandemic album’ stuff, like the sample of someone saying ‘no place to go’ that comes back a few times. Clever!! Anyway, this one feels more focused and patient. The vocal thing that moves throughout streetlands is what I’d prefer from him. Wordless, but emotionally deep. It feels so much more human, for me at least.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:18 am

2022 musical recordings - Page 3 2Q==

This could also go in the modern jazz thread but I’ll put it here with hopes that more people may see and enjoy it. Only listened once so far but I’m very impressed with this record. Harp, sax, lo fi guitar, and vocal snips collaged into early morning ambient bliss. Highly recommended!

https://ullastraus.bandcamp.com/album/foam-2
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 995
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:22 am

Coolatta Lounge joint worth taking note of. Marshall Staxx endorsed and in my top 2 releases 2022 thus far easy.

https://jason-shapiro.bandcamp.com/album/j-r-s-mix-2020-2021

Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:15 am

Little Neddy goes to war wrote:Coolatta Lounge joint worth taking note of. Marshall Staxx endorsed and in my top 2 releases 2022 thus far easy.

https://jason-shapiro.bandcamp.com/album/j-r-s-mix-2020-2021

Can’t get over how great this is. Like a poop-forward version of God Ween Satan - The Oneness or something

“Fart poop shooby dooby doop” is the Shakespearean lyric I always had within me, so the deep disappointment that somebody else got there first is at least overridden by the comfort of this wonderful mixtape and the countless future times I will get to re-listen to it.

Seriously, I haven’t had musical genius goosebumps like this since I think it was avec? Large bold font posted MAP OF THE TOILET FLOOD AGAIN on the Mannequin Dojo album release thread.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:04 pm

Saw this band on tour with stereolab. They remind me of ‘Cobra and Phases’ era stereolab actually which is potentially why they took them on tour. Very cool mixture of lounge and free jazz, I’d describe their sound as ‘Bonkers’

Give it a whirl if your looking for something that’s uptempo, jazzy, and unpredictable.

2022 musical recordings - Page 3 A0845908443_10

https://laloi.bandcamp.com/album/flaming-swords
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:15 pm

I recently had an ecstatic experience with this album. I know that’s cliche coming from me, but I’ve grown a lot since those days, when I say it now, I mean it. Full tears within seconds of this starting. Something about his piano style is so child like and most of the album continues this vibe which I’d describe as ‘a sense of wonder.’ I’d recommend this album for those that need warm memories in these challenging times.

2022 musical recordings - Page 3 Duval-Timothy

https://duvaltimothy.bandcamp.com/album/meeting-with-a-judas-tree
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:37 pm

BGwaves wrote:Saw this band on tour with stereolab. They remind me of ‘Cobra and Phases’ era stereolab actually which is potentially why they took them on tour. Very cool mixture of lounge and free jazz, I’d describe their sound as ‘Bonkers’

I was at this show, sorry I missed you!

Normally I hate it when an opening act is clearly an inferior version of the band you paid to see but I really liked their set. This was literally the first live music I've seen since 2018 so maybe that was a factor in my feelings.

I looked them up on RYM and wasn't even sure if they'd be on there at all, or maybe they would be but would have like a half dozen release ratings and zero reviews. But NO, apparently they've somehow become a very controversial band on the site and thousands of people are weighing in on their music, I have not dug into it and don't know if I ought to but I guess I feel compelled to mention it here for some reason.

Thanks for the reminder about them as I'm curious how they actually sound on record instead of onstage (and owning the tour burnout they clearly seemed to be experiencing).
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:38 pm

undo wrote:
    BGwaves wrote:Saw this band on tour with stereolab. They remind me of ‘Cobra and Phases’ era stereolab actually which is potentially why they took them on tour. Very cool mixture of lounge and free jazz, I’d describe their sound as ‘Bonkers’

I was at this show, sorry I missed you!

You didn’t, we saw them in Detroit. Friends of our live in Grand Rapids and since the Chicago show was during the week, the Friday show in Detroit sounded better.
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Post by C-poots Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:14 pm

I was trying to put together a mental list of my top 10 albums from this year but I can really only think of maybe 4 or 5 albums that really stuck with me from 2022. This isn't to say this year is somehow better or worse than others, but it is one of the first times I've come to this year end point and realize I didn't hear or like most of what is popping up on lists.

Looking forward to finding some last minute gems as lists roll in, while fully expecting to be flabbergasted by the love that Wet Leg album gets.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:07 pm

I read a review of Wet Leg that basically panned the album while describing the exact kind of low brow bullshit that I love, so yeah I wouldn’t be surprised if I end up liking it.

I’ve not been great seeking out new music this year, but my favorite things I’ve heard lately are the Chats, Coolatta lounge joints, and stuff my little brother sends me.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 810
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:13 pm

Didn't have a bad year of listening to records. Probably the best I've done in five or six years.

I don't think the Wet Leg record is bad but it's not nearly worth the hype and it has one towering song that is far and away better than all the other ones by 16 miles (that song, of course, is obviously absolutely fucking not "Chaise Longue". It's "Angelica".)
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Pizzas : 161
    Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:05 pm

BGwaves wrote:I recently had an ecstatic experience with this album. I know that’s cliche coming from me, but I’ve grown a lot since those days, when I say it now, I mean it. Full tears within seconds of this starting. Something about his piano style is so child like and most of the album continues this vibe which I’d describe as ‘a sense of wonder.’ I’d recommend this album for those that need warm memories in these challenging times.

2022 musical recordings - Page 3 Duval-Timothy

https://duvaltimothy.bandcamp.com/album/meeting-with-a-judas-tree

Same, dude. This album is wonderful.
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Post by C-poots Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:14 pm

Been chugging through some of the lists, I'll try a few things still. I loved and still love these first two albums, some of my favorite new music I've heard in years but I put together a "top" 5 just cause it feels nostalgic.

1. Black Country, New Road - Ants from Up There
    2. Black Midi - Hellfire
    3. Daniel Rossen - You Belong There
    4. Makaya McCraven - In These Times
    5. Rich Ruth - I Survived, Its Over
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:17 pm

This is the list of the albums I listened to the most and really enjoyed this year. Sharon Van Etten is some kind of miracle. I love her music so much.

Sharon Van Etten | We've Been Going About This All Wrong
    Alvvays | Blue Rev
    Sea Power | Everything Was Forever
    Weyes Blood | And in the Darkness, Hearts Aglow
    Animal Collective | Time Skiffs
    ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead | XI: Bleed Here Now
    Preoccupations | Arrangements
    Angel Olsen | Big Time
    Cate Le Bon | Pompeii
    Bill Callahan | Ytilaer
    The Smile | A Light for Attracting Attention
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Post by C-poots Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:50 am

I tried that Alvvays record maybe twice and it seems pleasant enough but I am grasping at the heavy adoration it's been getting on many year end lists. I can't actually remember any of the melodies, all I can remember is that there are some woozy MBV-style guitars over very simple sweet sounding pop rock music.

Again, it seems fine not bad but I can't figure out the love.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:32 am

C-poots wrote:I tried that Alvvays record maybe twice and it seems pleasant enough but I am grasping at the heavy adoration it's been getting on many year end lists. I can't actually remember any of the melodies, all I can remember is that there are some woozy MBV-style guitars over very simple sweet sounding pop rock music.

Yea I get it. I think it is the most listenable album I’ve heard in years. It took several listens for songs to stand out and I think it’s sequenced perfectly. I wouldn’t expect an indie pop album to be my thing at this point in my life but it honestly made me really happy whenever I listened to it.

If I had a 45 minute gap in my day I’d be like “Fuck it, I’ll listen to Alvvays.” Not sure if being listenable is a great measurement about how quality an album is but that is where I’m at in 2022.
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Post by C-poots Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:16 pm

Nick wrote:
    C-poots wrote:I tried that Alvvays record maybe twice and it seems pleasant enough but I am grasping at the heavy adoration it's been getting on many year end lists. I can't actually remember any of the melodies, all I can remember is that there are some woozy MBV-style guitars over very simple sweet sounding pop rock music.

Yea I get it. I think it is the most listenable album I’ve heard in years. It took several listens for songs to stand out and I think it’s sequenced perfectly. I wouldn’t expect an indie pop album to be my thing at this point in my life but it honestly made me really happy whenever I listened to it.

If I had a 45 minute gap in my day I’d be like “Fuck it, I’ll listen to Alvvays.” Not sure if being listenable is a great measurement about how quality an album is but that is where I’m at in 2022.

Makes total sense, actually.
    vIv
    vIv
    Volunteer worker

Pizzas : 89

Post by vIv Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:52 pm

C-poots wrote:
    Nick wrote:

Makes total sense, actually.

I can definitely see both sides of this discussion. For me, the appeal of Alvvays and their new record isn't so much pleasant indie pop melodies, but their careful attention to surfaces and the shoegaze sonic palette that they are so clearly indebted to. It's like a perfect loving tribute to so many 90's bands like Ride, MBV, Lush, Kitchens of Distinction. It's just such a gauze-y nostalgic confectionary listen if you were ever into any of those bands.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:17 am

Mister Water Wet - Significant Soil
    Harshest Realm - Out For Justice 2
    Ulla - Foam
    Daphni - Cherry
    Oren Ambarchi - Shebang