BGwaves
13 posters

Thought Dump : Music Edition

Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 997
    DispositionRock Guitars

Thought Dump : Music Edition - Page 8 Empty Re: Thought Dump : Music Edition

Post by Ned Braden Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:27 pm

undo wrote:
    Little Neddy goes to war wrote:Is the band She Wants Revenge any good? Every time their Joy Division wannabe goth club pop hit “tear you apart” shows up in a tv show (seemingly this is in every single tv show), I Shazam it with the assumption it’s a classic 1980s thing.

Do you remember if anything in particular prompted this post?

Are they somehow having a "moment" right now? (I have no idea and haven't knowingly heard a second of their music since I hate-listened to it 15 (?) years ago or whenever that was like everyone else on SOMB was doing).

No, don’t think they are having a moment. As I recall I was watching an episode of… oh, I don’t know, Never Have I Ever maybe? No, I think it was something else… and the song “tear you apart” came on and I caught myself questioning if the song was by one of the bands it was so obviously trying to be (Joy Division, Bauhaus, whatever). I saw it was by “She Wants Revenge” which was not a thing I was at all familiar with.

Edit: I think it was an older show. Might have been an episode of Fringe.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1145

Post by undo Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:21 pm

Schmaltz or all-time classic?

How much of its cool is intrinsic to the song itself vs its fortune of getting David Lynch to define it for us?

basically: do u like it?
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:27 pm

Love it.

It’s schmaltz, but it’s also an all time classic. I’m unapologetically pro Chris Isaak.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:37 pm

I think I made a SOMB thread about the album Forever Blue once where I gushed about it for like two pages as though it were a brilliant piece of timeless 15/10 art like Abbey Road or something, and I don’t know what it is about that album (was it just the nostalgia of living out in California with my little bro and doing young person things during the time I got really into it? Was it/is it actually just really good (I think so, but I also think I overrate it due to the nostalgia thing).

I like schmaltzy shit that is a little too honest or a little too over-stylized and “cool.” Chris Isaak is like the James Hurley of music basically… which I’d describe as a flawed actor trying too hard to portray cool but doing so in a way that you gotta admire for the artistic decision to go with it knowingly. And that makes it like… both cute and brilliant. I don’t know if that makes sense outside of my brain.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 980

Post by Nick Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:35 am

“Wicked Game” all time classic.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 284
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:52 am

Yes, I love Wicked Game.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:57 am

I’m watching The Decline of Western Civilization for the first time. It seems like Darby Crash was autistic. People have always painted him as some enfant terrible poet but from this footage it seems like he was a prop that was used for others gain. They couldn’t afford those drugs, clearly there were a bunch of enablers who wanted to see him smash a bottle over his head. Even the film that came out like 15 years ago, don’t remember the title, paints him as WAY for artistic than he actually was. Beyond that, it’s pretty cool to see a young Pat Smear. I’ll bet he never would have guessed his new band would be playing a headlining set to over 100,000 people at Glastonbury this past week.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 812
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:27 pm

"I Wanna Tear You Apart" is always showing up in some TV show. The only one I can recall with clarity is an episode of American Horror Story: Hotel where it's used rather literally. That was some years ago. Guess they've just been riding that long enough. Maybe We Are Scientists should've given it a try.

The big thing with "Wicked Game" among my peers when it came out was "OMG, this hot chick (I'm fairly certain this was someone but I'm coming up empty and don't feel like googling right now) is like naked and making out with some dude", and that was about it. Yes, we were in jr. high. Can't say I've gotten much of anything else from it since then though.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:31 pm

is the band called Naked Raygun so when you say it, you're actually saying "Naked Reagan"?
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:12 am

undo wrote:There's a "Please Don't Go" that's not by Double You? imlikewhoa

So I only just found out that's a cover of

imlikewhoa
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:08 pm

undo wrote:is the band called Naked Raygun so when you say it, you're actually saying "Naked Reagan"?

I was assuming so, yeah.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:55 pm

Lana Del Rey may be the best artist going. I love her so much.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:01 pm

I mean… hyperbole much or whatever.

I’ve loved her ever since I accidentally broke mentally and hooked up with a girl who loved her. It was a time in my life.

The song that prompted that post was “the next best American record” and I was sorta losing it while grooving hard on headphones..

A discussion earlier with the missus prompted me to revisit her catalog, and it holds up big time imo. The discussion was about proper context for certain music… see, we almost exclusively listen to music while driving around. And in those moments, I’ve often been like, “oh, you know who I think is good? LDR.” But then I play it and it doesn’t work. LDR for me is a much better soundtrack for being alone, and drinking a not entirely un-classy beverage (or alternatively, a super un classy beverage like MD2020 or Thunderbird), and being sad. The only time it would work in a car is if the scenery were impossibly beautiful (like the PCH in cali at sunset), the sound system were perfect, and a song like the one above were playing (would also help to be drinking and sad).

NFR and Lust For Life are probly the two albums I’m most ride or die for. Love the newest one and BB almost as much.
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Pizzas : 161
    Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:20 am

The new Lana record and NFR are *perfect*. And NFR is PERFECT perfect. Biggest delta between my first impression and landing spot for an artist ever, with a close second being Vampire Weekend who I now love dearly as well. Don't tell Paves.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:20 pm

this song was a Bond theme? wtf

Uh, well I guess it's right there in the lyrics, shows how well I've been paying attention.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:22 pm

Well this whole time (ie my entire life) I thought she was saying "Nobody knows" so.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:55 pm

Initial thought:
    I’m positive I’ve heard that song a hundred times but I don’t know what song it is at all right now, all I’m thinking is “cool, that’s the butterfly that is on my television albums.”

Next thought:
    Oh… I actually don’t recognize this song even though it’s probably on that one album I’ve supposed to have been caring about forever, am I a shitbag philistine?

Last thought:
    LOL she literally just sang “the spy who loved me,” our art has been beholden to money grabbing nonsense forever this song is exactly the same thing as the Mario Brothers movie from lately.
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Pizzas : 161
    Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:05 pm

I know that song exclusively from an 80s baseball bloopers video. But I watched that thing dozens of times, so it feels iconic. Also had no idea it was a Bond theme.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:23 pm

Little Neddy goes to war wrote:
    LOL she literally just sang “the spy who loved me,” our art has been beholden to money grabbing nonsense forever this song is exactly the same thing as the Mario Brothers movie from lately.

I don’t disagree with your overall idea, it’s a silly lyric even without being the title of the film, but I did want to point out that almost every bond movie had a theme song done by a well known performer of the era, including Wings ‘Live and Let Die.’ I view it more as a tradition than full on symbiotic marketing. I think the bond movies became iconic so quickly that it may have been an honor to do the theme, a nod that you’ve ‘made it,’ plus a potential hit.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:39 pm

I used to have a recording of this where he introduces the song by saying "this is the sexiest song ever written" or something like that. That probably programmed me to be a little more open to it than I am to most 70s "easy listening" music.

That's not even a good descriptor for it but I'm just saying, I probably would have written it off as such in the past.

Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:00 pm

I'm sure I'm at least 15 years late to this sentiment, but it seems like the tastemakers of the world stopped caring about LL Cool J way too long ago. I'm listening to Mamma Said Knock You Out, and it holds up so much better than so many of the enduring, critically acclaimed (still) rap records of the era.

This is so god damn smooth and good. So much better than a lot of the records I'm supposed to care super hard about.

Apologies if I've posted this exact same thing recently.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:11 pm

Recently noticed that every girl I've ever dated was name checked in "Around the Way Girl".
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:31 pm

X-post work tales but we went to local craft beer place this evening for an offsite work outing, and all the house-brewed beers were named after song titles/lyrics and as soon as nobody could get with my explanation for why I ordered the “Metal Guru” or the “This Must Be The Place,” the party lost its luster.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:32 am

http://solidlittlerockjams.blogspot.com/2005/08/tuxedomoon-half-mute-with-brian-eno.html?m=1

I have an embarrassingly huge part of my brain devoted to old posts or reviews that I wrote 2-22 years ago where a real life was supposed to be but also I have no memory of writing this one, I think there might be like 5 more in here somewhere

I went back to look for the Solid Little Rock James reviews of albums by The Band but I haven't found them yet
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:45 am

Jesus I'm just now for the first time realizing that SLRJ was more of a collective effort that wasn't just Paves and Sausage and, like, i'm assuming deej twice.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 2:03 pm