BGwaves
13 posters

Thought Dump : Music Edition

Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 996
    DispositionRock Guitars

Thought Dump : Music Edition - Page 7 Empty Re: Thought Dump : Music Edition

Post by Ned Braden Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:16 am

undo wrote:

Thought Dump : Music Edition - Page 7 Morbid10

Not a real scientific metric of any value per say, but the correlation of me looking at random comment threads on social media and everybody in those threads being utterly psychotic whackadoodles has noticeably increased a lot over the past 5 yrs or so.

Last edited by Little Neddy goes to war on Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:19 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Context on new page)
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1140

Post by undo Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:34 pm

Thought Dump : Music Edition - Page 7 Resize51

I don't really want to hear this song ever again, but were they being too hard on him?

Is it possible that the song is meant as a self-own, an indictment of his/our generation? If it was released today, I think it would be really tough to hear it any other way.

I had a lot more thoughts about this as it was playing over the PA in the cafeteria but over the course of the 5 minutes it took me to dig up that old review and realize my screenshot of it, I forgot what it was.

Sentimental dogshit.. or is it?
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:46 pm

^It's possible this post was inspired by reading this:
    https://musicboxtheatre.com/films-and-events/forrest-gump

One of the many reasons for doing this retrospective was to be able to showcase this insanely misjudged movie for what it is, a cracked masterpiece soon to rise above its detractors’ accusations of “small minded American conservatism” or “liberal boomers’ wet dreams”, to reveal a film of impeccable craft and down right nastiness. Just take a look at any interview with Zemeckis during the awards season rush of this movie - the guy looks positively confused as to the reception of this movie. Not that it didn’t have the heart and Hollywoodisms necessary to sweep the award season and box office, but because the film is far more than the reputation preceding it, an unfortunate indictment of an entire generation’s passive engagement with the outside world and the people around them. Forrest exists as a proxy for the U.S. and its citizens, blindly stumbling into situation after situation, unknowingly taking credit for things he had nothing to do with, as well as benefiting financially in a major way, from the devastating destruction of an entire black shrimping operation in New Orleans, to taking credit for Elvis’ slutty swagger (we see you Marty McFly). And yet, Forrest never seems to notice or care about this, placing his faith in God and country, rather than recognizing his highly privileged position in society, all despite his “simple-mindedness”. FORREST GUMP is linked through a long line of Zemeckis-lead satires, yet it finds the director reaching for a new, classically-styled lens in which to capture the madness on screen. The film sits perfectly at the midway point between the capping off of his more manic comedies with DEATH BECOMES HER, and kicking off the path he has continued to journey down: prestige-level filmmaking more than capable of garnering a slew of awards,, yet one that also disguises a more complicated and bitter center than most movies made throughout the last several decades.

Just a take I hadn't really considered before, who knows if there's anything to it but maybe??

Maybe I'm just in a contrarian mood, idk
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 283
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:10 am

undo wrote:Thought Dump : Music Edition - Page 7 Resize51

I don't really want to hear this song ever again, but were they being too hard on him?

Is it possible that the song is meant as a self-own, an indictment of his/our generation? If it was released today, I think it would be really tough to hear it any other way.

I had a lot more thoughts about this as it was playing over the PA in the cafeteria but over the course of the 5 minutes it took me to dig up that old review and realize my screenshot of it, I forgot what it was.

Sentimental dogshit.. or is it?
    I don’t remember reading this review. But I remember thinking what the critic wrote about the song when I’d hear it over the speakers at my job. If he did mean it any other way then why is the music so jaunty and carefree? I mean, the melody is a bit down, but not in the ‘i just lost something I can never have again’ kinda way, more in the ‘damn, now I gotta goto the other record store to get it’ kinda way. His tone sounds vaguely apathetic, he’s blaming his generation but doesn’t seem to want to rise up himself. Hence, ‘We’re’ waiting. If he was serious he wouldn’t consider himself part of the group. The music is also a weird choice if he was serious. It’s post Grateful Dead jammy blues rock but it rides major chords. Major chords are typically associated with happiness, triumph, etc. Minor or dissonant chords would’ve sold the admonishment better.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 810
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:46 pm

I guess I could be persuaded that all that could be imitative form but nothing else he's ever made, done, or said has really even suggested that the surface reading we all have of this song, and him as a cultural entity in general, is at all inaccurate, imho.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:06 am

Jonathan Richman was about my age when he made I, Jonathan.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:25 pm

Little Neddy goes to war wrote:Jonathan Richman was about my age when he made I, Jonathan.

He looks 26 years old on that cover. Full of wonder and open hearted for what the future holds. Contributing to the soundtrack for Kingpin and There’s Something About Mary not even a glint in his eye.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Mon May 01, 2023 1:04 pm

BGwaves wrote:Autumn sweater and I Think I’m in Love share a similar groove from a similar time in indie rock. Was this groove a thing? Are there other songs from this era that rode the bass and drums and let the other instruments paint around the edges? As I was typing I thought of Natural One, although it’s groove seems more influenced by breakbeat hip hop.

Might not be what you're looking for AGAIN but I love this era of music.

Perhaps I am trapped in it.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Fri May 05, 2023 1:59 pm

Is it okay if I just don't care about Bad Bunny? Who is apparently the consensus most important musician alive right now?

Maybe it's lazy or shallow of me but the language barrier is just too much for me to overcome, I'm sorry.

But can anyone who listens to Sigur Ros really make such a claim?
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Sat May 06, 2023 12:06 am

undo wrote:Is it okay if I just don't care about Bad Bunny? Who is apparently the consensus most important musician alive right now?

Maybe it's lazy or shallow of me but the language barrier is just too much for me to overcome, I'm sorry.

But can anyone who listens to Sigur Ros really make such a claim?

It’s Ok. I can’t get past the silly name. Sounds like a Disney Junior cartoon.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Wed May 10, 2023 7:53 pm

I’m tired of all the ‘corporate ambient’ think pieces. You know what else is formulaic? EVERYTHING! Sometimes, I think about how I like ska but I wish they would get rid of the up stroke, it’s SOOOO formulaic! I mean, every band uses the up stroke, like, they think it’s what makes ska, ska, or something.

Look, I get it, and I believe the writers hearts are in the right place. But to think that somehow the corporations are the ones who figured out the formula… Jesus. They’re just doing what corporations always do, picking up on a trend and monetizing it. If you don’t wanna support the corporate ambient, just don’t buy it. Trust me, they will pack up and leave town eventually, just like they always do.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Thu May 11, 2023 12:07 am

I'd like to read one of those pieces
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Thu May 11, 2023 7:40 am

‘Many hallmarks of corporate ambient are here: slowly decaying piano notes, time-stretched vocals, lazily strummed acoustic guitar, and hazy synths, all wrapped in rustling static.’

From the pitchfork review of the new Fred Again… album which is apparently a collab with Brian Eno

https://pitchfork.com/features/article/is-the-ambient-music-streaming-boom-helping-artists/

Also, this article. Sadly, the only evidence I could find are these two things. I believe I heard a few things in some podcasts that I won’t be able to find because I consume too much.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Fri May 12, 2023 9:58 am

From Tim Heckers album description for No Highs on Bandcamp:

The latest by Canadian composer Tim Hecker serves as a beacon of unease against the deluge of false positive corporate ambient currently in vogue. Whether taken as a warning or a promise, No Highs delivers - this is music of austerity and ambiguity, purgatorial and sea sick. A jagged anti-relaxant for our medicated age, rough-hewn and undefined.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Fri May 12, 2023 4:41 pm

Leeds once talked about the music like it was therapy, telling interviewers he had taken to making ambient instead of his usual off-kilter house so he had something to listen to on stressful flights between gigs. “I kind of put my foot in my mouth with that,” he says now. “I definitely said that, how it was helping me when I was traveling, but now that shit’s like the bane of my existence.” He never intended for the album to be some zen, chillout soundtrack. “That’s great, if people are enjoying the record in that way… And of course music is gonna bring some level of comfort to people, I mean I think that’s what it does. But someone’s comfort record could be fucking Cannibal Corpse or something like that. It doesn’t have to be like Brian Eno.”

It seemed like the more acclaimed Huerco S became, the more Leeds distanced himself from the project. Did the ambient-music-as-therapy cliche put him off? “I mean that’s like the ambient that I really despise,” he says. “There was an article in the Guardian talking about the ambient resurgence and it was like ‘Huerco S, ambient for the flat white generation’… It really made me step back and… I don’t know, ambient music has just become like ‘beats to chill and study to.’ It’s like productivity music, capitalist music. It’s non-intrusive, it doesn’t get in your way, like you can still work your job. It kinda makes me cringe a bit. And maybe I feel responsible for that…”

Can I get a list of what I'm allowed to do while listening to this?
    damo suzuki
    damo suzuki
    Still has http://lotsofpeopleposting.teensboards.com bookmarked

Pizzas : 61

Post by damo suzuki Sun May 21, 2023 9:05 pm

I was making dinner today and my wife decided to help. She asked Alexa to play Billie Joel.

Great songwriting. However it brought to my mind that time on the SOMB when Billie Joel, Bruce Springsteen and Wilco were like top rated in the 100 greatest records poll.

That was the whitest record list.

My wife is a jew.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Thu May 25, 2023 5:57 pm

Is the band She Wants Revenge any good? Every time their Joy Division wannabe goth club pop hit “tear you apart” shows up in a tv show (seemingly this is in every single tv show), I Shazam it with the assumption it’s a classic 1980s thing.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 810
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Thu May 25, 2023 11:52 pm

They blow.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Fri May 26, 2023 8:35 am

damo suzuki wrote:I was making dinner today and my wife decided to help. She asked Alexa to play Billie Joel.

Great songwriting. However it brought to my mind that time on the SOMB when Billie Joel, Bruce Springsteen and Wilco were like top rated in the 100 greatest records poll.

That was the whitest record list.

My wife is a jew.

Reminds me of the period on that board when any criticism of M. Ward got you in big trouble.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:20 am

BGwaves wrote:I’m tired of all the ‘corporate ambient’ think pieces. You know what else is formulaic? EVERYTHING! Sometimes, I think about how I like ska but I wish they would get rid of the up stroke, it’s SOOOO formulaic! I mean, every band uses the up stroke, like, they think it’s what makes ska, ska, or something.

Look, I get it, and I believe the writers hearts are in the right place. But to think that somehow the corporations are the ones who figured out the formula… Jesus. They’re just doing what corporations always do, picking up on a trend and monetizing it. If you don’t wanna support the corporate ambient, just don’t buy it. Trust me, they will pack up and leave town eventually, just like they always do.

I think you'd find this really interesting

https://jaimebrooks.substack.com/p/this-is-what-youll-pay-for

It's not necessarily about "corporate ambient" but whenever I'm on Amazon Music and have some ambient album playing and then it comes to the end of the album and starts playing a "station" inspired by/related to that album, three-fourths of it is random generic stuff by artists I've never heard of and sometimes I'm left wondering if it's even music made by real people. It never dawned on me before this how that could be the case and why that could be by design.

Spoiler:
    coyote
    coyote
    A classically handsome man's man in the Huey Lewis mold

Pizzas : 99

Post by coyote Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:12 am

I appreciate the flow and talent and skill of many rappers, but they just talk too fast for me to even integrate their thoughts

Like 50 cent is my sweet spot but he’s also like the pre school version of hip hop
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:56 am

Little Neddy goes to war wrote:Is the band She Wants Revenge any good? Every time their Joy Division wannabe goth club pop hit “tear you apart” shows up in a tv show (seemingly this is in every single tv show), I Shazam it with the assumption it’s a classic 1980s thing.

Do you remember if anything in particular prompted this post?

Are they somehow having a "moment" right now? (I have no idea and haven't knowingly heard a second of their music since I hate-listened to it 15 (?) years ago or whenever that was like everyone else on SOMB was doing).
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:26 pm

the reason I'm asking is

Thought Dump : Music Edition - Page 7 Darker10

how do you get on the same row as X and The English Beat when, like, no one liked your old stuff at all and you haven't released anything new in 13 years

the other "new" artists listed here, even if I'm not into them, at least make sense
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:32 pm

When was the last time that someone smashed a guitar and the general reaction wasn't "oh, what a waste of a good guitar!" or "whoa, he's trying to bring back guitar smashing!"

I guess I thought it was cool when I was a kid but now I don't, but I also miss a world where people would live in the moment and do ridiculous things, even if YES I realize it was usually still a premeditated and calculated decision to make.

Do people still mosh or crowdsurf? Was crowdsurfing "banned" at some point in the mid-00s? If this ban exists, do people still obey it or use it as an excuse to stop doing it (because their festival ticket was hundreds of dollars and there's no way they're paying that amount of money to be forced to literally lift another person over their heads?) or is this hypothetical ban routinely defied but I'm just never around to see it when it happens
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:16 pm

Is the "rise" of "ambient music" (still acknowledging that is is a super niche genre in the grand scheme of things and electronic music in general due to people's music consumption taking place much more while in a passive stupor as they stare at screens? And this, craving "vibes and not feeling any of the emotions that once lead people to attempt to "rock out"?

I feel like this is both a theory that I've never heard articulated before, but somehow also somehow a cliche that's been absolutely repeated to death and doesn't contain even half as much wisdom in it as I'm sort of assuming it does.

Not even speaking of ambient music specifically but just "mood music" in general.

Last edited by undo on Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 6:58 pm