BGwaves
13 posters

Thought Dump : Music Edition

Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 995
    DispositionRock Guitars

Thought Dump : Music Edition - Page 13 Empty Re: Thought Dump : Music Edition

Post by Ned Braden Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:16 am

Did some sarcastic alt rock band make a song called “Chairway to Steven” or is that just something I dreamed?
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Pizzas : 201

Post by C-poots Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:00 pm

Butthole Surfers have "Hairway to Steven", could that be what you're recalling?
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:09 pm

Ah yes. That was the one. Danke.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 283
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:52 pm

The second half of that song is top 10 for blissed out psychedelia. I get goose bumps when Gibby goes, ‘You rang?’ and the whole song changes. Especially after the horror of the first half. One of my favorite songs.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:06 pm

I’ve been listening to the discography of the popular and overall well praised band The National. I have been listening to this band for a long time and was obsessed with some of their albums at various points. Alligator, Sleep Well Beast and High Violet come to mind. I actually got a huge wave of nostalgia when I was listening to those and thinking of where I was personally/professionally at the time of release. I remembered train commutes, sitting in an office or walking around Chicago listening to some of these songs over and over again.

I’d say on this relisten the bulk of the music felt repetitive and sometimes exhausting in how boring it came off. I realize I’m not the first person or being controversial criticizing The National. The band put out 2 albums in ‘23 which was about 2 hours of - IMO - not very good music.

I don’t even know why I’m posting this now when there are several posts above talking about The Butthole Surfers. An awesome and crazy band. I was catching up this week with some past co-workers and kind of missed the pre-pandemic life I had of going into the city every day, being with people in an office, in line to get coffee or lunch and feeling some “energy” that I lack now working remotely. There are probably a bunch of very 2010s type bands like The National that would hit me now in a similar fashion.

I’m laughing at myself because I do think I’m on the brink of a midlife crisis and The National is actually the perfect band for a guy of my age in that sense to listen.

undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1140

Post by undo Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:21 pm

Hold up, wait a minute, I know you're the biggest star in the world but you can't just release a song called "Cruel Summer." That's kind of taken already!

What's next? "Don't You Forget About Me"? "Here Comes the Rain Again"?

"Cruel Summer" is not some common phrase that belongs to everyone and has been around longer than anyone can remember. Bananarama came up with that on their own and anyone who puts out a new song with that title, no matter how they'd deny it, is siphoning the essence of everything it represents.

imo
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 810
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:59 pm

There also must be an endless number of phrases that fit into that melody just as unnaturally as that one does.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:21 pm

Does anyone else want the end of Killer Queen to go on forever?
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:27 pm

I never thought about it before but is this song about dildos?

I've read the lyrics and they don't really refute the possibility.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:33 pm

BGwaves wrote:Does anyone else want the end of Killer Queen to go on forever?

That would hit the spot. A road not taken, for sure.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:21 pm

undo wrote:

I never thought about it before but is this song about dildos?

I've read the lyrics and they don't really refute the possibility.

I’ve always thought it was about cocaine. Which, arguably, goes better with a dildo!
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:12 pm

Check out this chicken tender I just got for lunch.

Thought Dump : Music Edition - Page 13 Resize60

Spoiler:
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:09 pm

Fuck that post probably deserves its own rolling thread.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:07 pm

Spoiling it here but that Melt Banana album cover looks like it should be the cover for some electronic thing from the 90s. Like Atari Teenage Riot or maybe something on Metalheadz.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:44 am

It took my whole life but today's the day I was finally ready for this song.

edit:

Five years after this was released, MC Hammer had a huge hit with "Pray," which lifts the vocal melody from "We Care A Lot." Hammer and his crew shout "That's why we pray" the same way Faith No More shouts the "We care a lot."

This has got to be a coincidence, right?

Last edited by undo on Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:00 am; edited 1 time in total
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:54 am

BGwaves wrote:Spoiling it here but that Melt Banana album cover looks like it should be the cover for some electronic thing from the 90s. Like Atari Teenage Riot or maybe something on Metalheadz.

I appreciate the Metalheadz logo because when I see it, 9 times out of 10 I know it's exactly the kind of jungle/dnb that I'm not in the mood for and I'm probably good to move on. I'm sure that's too harsh but they have no one to blame but themselves for this.

I only just realized that Atari Teenage Riot do indeed have a logo and it's on pretty much all of the releases from the original lineup. This, on the other hand, is probably a failure of my own making.

Someone on SOMB had that Melt-Banana cover as their avatar so that's how it got stamped on my brain.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:12 am

Is Young Thug just a decent dude getting railroaded for the crime of being an empire building rapper? Or is all this criminal RICO stuff legit?

TBPFH I’d always just assumed the former, and haven’t taken the time to actually read up on any of it.

I like his raps.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:22 am

Oh yeah, this song. When did this come out, 2022 or 2021?

Oh wait, it's 6 and a half years old now lol
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:31 am

This is one of those things that I'm sure people naturally figured out in the waning years of the pre-Internet world but just dawned on me.

Stereolab takes the melody from this for the vocals in "Retrograde Mirror Form".

It might also have been sampled for this Tortoise remix, I hear it in the strings but I can't quite pin it down. I also have no idea what Tortoise track this is even supposed to be, they really don't make it clear.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:22 pm

The little drum fill at 0:18 sounds like it was lifted from a 311 song but I can't think of which one. Maybe all of them?

undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:56 pm

I saw a trailer for a new Trolls movie. There's a boy band in the movie, their name is BroZone.

Someone (madrox?) posted this album on SOMB like 15 years ago

Thought Dump : Music Edition - Page 13 Bro_zo10

Thought Dump : Music Edition - Page 13 R-533210

I really wanted to post about it and now I have.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:09 pm

Are there more Black Sabbath songs like this?

Paranoid is the only album of theirs I've heard.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:35 pm

Not exactly the same vibe, but this one is also an oddly soft and pretty one in their catalog
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:40 pm

Also, can I interest you in No Quarter by Led Zepplin? Has some of the same qualities as that sabbath song, I recommend
    vIv
    vIv
    Volunteer worker

Pizzas : 89

Post by vIv Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:44 pm

I have been diving pretty deep into the Daniel Avery catalog. There's a lot of deep shit up in here.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 8:52 am