BGwaves
13 posters

Thought Dump : Music Edition

BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 283
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Thought Dump : Music Edition - Page 14 Empty Re: Thought Dump : Music Edition

Post by BGwaves Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:19 am

Every time I see that Bro Zone pic on the home page I pronounce it like it’s an Italian noodle: Brozoné
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 995
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:16 am

I really miss mixtapes.

Making a Spotify playlist is so much less personal, and besides I don’t have Spotify.
    I truly hate what music listening has become. I pretty much exclusively listen to mp3 files on my iPhone while in the car or on my iPod and/or computer on headphones. And even that is too new age for me. I miss being able to pass a tape or a cd to a person and say, “hey, I want you to check this out.”

I’ve sent and received so many damn YouTube links that went ignored. Even the few times I’ve made YouTube “playlists” tailored to actual people, I suspect they were ignored. Because who has time to deliberately listened to a deliberately curated YouTube playlist?

This is all so very “old man yells at cloud,” but I really do feel the need to emphasize- FUCK the entire state of music, the music industry, and the ways we consume music.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:05 pm

Did I break the ‘Late Night Sound Experiments’ thread?
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1140

Post by undo Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:52 pm

This happened once a couple years ago (C poots?) and I don't know what fixed it. Are you able to go into your post history and delete it from there? What kind of a link are you trying to post?
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:29 pm

SoundCloud link to my new track, I tried to embed like I used to and that’s what happened.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:42 pm

Tyger & BlueGreenWaves - Where Did It All Begin?

Please check this out. I finally got a new computer and can now clean up all the music my friend and I have made over the last 2 years. This was recorded live to voice memos and then cleaned up in GarageBand, fyi
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 810
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:17 pm

Does "Drop it Like it's Hot" qualify as ASMR?
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:36 pm

Duff... wrote:Does "Drop it Like it's Hot" qualify as ASMR?

Were you just listening to this on B96?
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:41 pm

That was probably the most recent place I heard it, now that you mention it.

They've been weird lately. Like, 2 days ago I heard "Hit Em Up Style" by Blu Cantrell for like the first time in 15 years on that station.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:50 am

I really wish that The Stone Roses had split I Am The Resurrection into two tracks.

The second half of that thing is some perfectly fine upbeat rock guitar music that lasts for over four minutes, and it’s fine. The first half is among the best pop music ever recorded. But like, fuck listening to the second half of that thing on a playlist titled “these are my favorite songs ever.” As is, Sugar Spun Sister always winds up on that playlist instead.

Maybe this is a terribly unpopular opinion and lots of people think the second half of this song is amazing idk.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:10 pm

The beginning of the REM song, Leave sounds like it should be an end game credits song for an NES classic, I’m thinking like Castlevania III.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:49 am

That's the first time in a long time I even considered listening to an REM song on purpose.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:59 pm

I'm not saying that you have to think vegetarians are stupid or contemptible to call someone a "Vegetarian Fuckface" but I don't quite understand how else you get there without those attitudes.

Maybe we'll never know.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:56 pm

I’m pretty sure I’ve posted this here at some point but Jack Antonoff is just a savvier version of Andrew WK operating a decade later and with his finger more fully on the pulse of the pop music zeitgeist.

undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:00 pm

Chuck D once called hip-hop "the CCN of the ghetto," although this was almost always repeated by others as "the CNN of the streets."

When was that last true? Fifteen years ago? Twenty?

Back on jdff, damo (?) used to have a picture of Paul Wall as his avatar and his board signature was:

I've got the Internet goin' nuts

Which is probably the best board signature that anyone's ever had in my years of boarding. At the time it was kind of hilarious, but so was the line itself in "Still Tippin', because the very idea of boasting about how many people were discussing you on the World Wide Web was completely ridiculous on its face... and yet if we were still living in a time when the Internet was only for "nerds," that was fast about to run out and I think everybody knew it.

(Now I see that Paul Wall actually had a track called "Internet Going Nutz," which might have blown my mind at the time if I'd heard it)

The rest of this post was going to be about how hip-hop kind of ceased to be the moment it embraced the Internet
    -because the moment that happened, people more or less completely stopped calling it "hip-hop" at all
    -because this divorced it from the highly specific world and circumstances that it was birthed from and so dedicated to chronicling
    -etc

But this seemed kind of pointless, or rather, like a stern correction from someone who thinks that it's all been downhill since "The Message" and that young men need to start pulling up their pants.

It just strikes me as wild how desperately Extremely Online popular rap eventually became, and perhaps always had to be, in pursuit of some unprecedentedly huge/culturally flatted out audience.

I had a point I was reaching for with this but I'm not gonna get there.

Blowin on the endo
    Gamecube Nintendo

What is "endo"?
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Pizzas : 161
    Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:14 am

indoor grown weed
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:05 am

Since we're on the topic, is cess really that bad? Am I spelling it right?
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:44 am

I always thought cess was short for success which was a stand in for cocaine. But I guess it’s also another slang term for weed. Or bad luck if you’re Irish
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:43 pm

Yesterday I wrote a long post about how my tastes are really basic and no longer adventurous or really even all that "curious" at all, how I somehow can't understand lyrics anymore, love "beats" but actually have no rhythm or musical abilities and how much I suck as a lazy listener who's completely succumbed to not knowing what I even feel like listening to anymore without an algorithm recommending something to me first, but then it just felt really embarrassing and I deleted it.

So I'll post this instead

Thought Dump : Music Edition - Page 14 Resize63
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:36 pm

Jesus Christ My immediate thought is that I'd bet any amount of money that literally we the listeners on this very board somehow influenced that bonkers algorithm result. Those artist hardly make sense together with Mouth from the Goonies unless we're talking about a Blaze EOTY list or like my ipod shuffle.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Mon May 06, 2024 6:49 am

G.E. Smith of having a ponytail and making weird faces on SNL fame actually had a really interesting music career that I never knew about, which includes having been lead guitarist for Hall & Oates and playing on Tom Waits’ Downtown Train with Robert Quine.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Mon May 06, 2024 10:44 pm

I learned about his H&O connection from a Paves post over a decade ago. Hit play on the video and it was like "Wait, is that GE Smith?"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 4:06 am