chrondog
Ted Falconi
12 posters

itt we act disgusted/-appointed at left wing buffoons

chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

itt we act disgusted/-appointed at left wing buffoons - Page 3 Empty Re: itt we act disgusted/-appointed at left wing buffoons

Post by chrondog Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:07 pm

undo wrote:How do you rebuff these ideas that are actually getting into people's heads

You shouldn't protest against white supremacists, they want the attention and that's what helps them recruit others.

If you just ignore them they will stop marching and just fade away.

You should never punch nazis because it gives them a justified reason to attack back.

Antifa, whoever that is and whatever they stand for, idk, should stop dressing in black and hiding their faces, it makes them look like the scary and dangerous ones.

I think the obsession with "rebuking ideas" instead of groups getting out there and stating what they're all about is the problem. There's so much wasted energy in the news media on restating or framing (ugh) what has already been said (one fine example is the "let's go to the heartland and ask Trump voters what we missed!" fluff pieces).

The mass media echo chamber is not a lecture hall. No one is learning a damn thing. To go overboard trying to combat bad ideas with "reason" and "logic" online or in print is the bad idea itself. Sure, it can be useful to have a face to face conversation with someone who disagrees with you and engage deeply with their ideas to try to convince them otherwise, but that is not what happens is the most visible platforms online. Sure, there is some value in doing columns and blog posts that "fact check". There's nothing wrong with PolitiFact. But the paradigm of facts vs fakes has become a complete obsession. All it seems to do is create this perception of an eggheaded media class that people across the spectrum mutually dislike.

People should go out there and act how their conscience tells them. If someone is naive enough to draw the conclusion that "dressing in black and hiding their faces" = scary and evil, why would they be susceptible to a carefully reasoned argument about the merits of radical action? If you're so much of a simpleton that "violence is bad, DUR, both sides!", you're not going to have a serious conversation about social change with anyone.

The media noise is just that, noise. If there isn't a legitimate example of Antifa punching right wingers in the face, it doesn't matter. They will make one up anyway. Anyone who has even vaguely engaged with far right OR far left radicals on Twitter know that facts are irrelevant to the real foot soldiers.

My take is that people are perfectly capable of knowing which side they are on by listening to what the groups have to say for themselves. Our completely out-of-wack electoral system gives more weight to the voices who are more likely to sympathize with reaction and hate than help. We have White Supremacy in the White House because white Americans voted for that and want it.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

itt we act disgusted/-appointed at left wing buffoons - Page 3 Empty Re: itt we act disgusted/-appointed at left wing buffoons

Post by chrondog Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:40 pm

the Harvey Weinstein story confirms what i've been saying for years: Page Six should be basically gospel

"proof" and "investigative journalism" to media organizations nowadays has nothing to do with reality. all they care about is covering their ass from defamation lawsuits. Ronan Farrow's investigation demonstrates that. any reasonable person can have enough evidence to "know" something is true, but the legal system requires a smoking gun that almost never exists. in the case of sexual assault, if the attacker is smart enough they can ensure there will be no smoking gun. even if they're dumb like Donald Trump on an ET bus, saying you've committed assault isn't even considered legal "proof".

i've seen stories online about "Harvey's girls" for about 10 years now. how old is this article? http://www.pajiba.com/think_pieces/harveys-girls-the-wouldbe-ingenues-where-are-they-now-and-what-happened-then.php

Gawker even rounded up the online gossip two years ago: http://defamer.gawker.com/tell-us-what-you-know-about-harvey-weinsteins-open-sec-1695071092

the new, gruesome details are horrible. i am surprised that i still have the capacity to be disgusted and introspective when it comes to male behavior. not being a monster towards women has been something that has been an obsession for me all the way back to the third grade when i first realized i had a crush on this girl Nayiri in my class. making myself not like the manipulators and the abusers out there is central to my self-worth as a man.

i know that i possess some of the superficial charm and ability to manipulate that is found in predators. i know i have made decisions that i later regretted or felt weren't right. i've treated people in ways that i later felt bad about. i know i have valued women's bodies more than their minds at many points. i have also tried to be open and honest with people about my intentions and expectations, all while seeking enthusiastic consent for anything we do together. i know that i am a good person and my heart is in the right place because i truly care about these issues and have demonstrated i make myself physically and emotionally available to talk about them whenever i am asked.

this account of Lea Seydoux is very French and very gross: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/oct/11/harvey-weinstein-lea-seydoux
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:35 pm

A left-wing savage with whom I went to high school was made to remove this "costume" at work, today. Not his best moment, if you ask me.

itt we act disgusted/-appointed at left wing buffoons - Page 3 22894310
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 810
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:18 pm

Goddammit.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1142

Post by undo Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:36 am

Duff... wrote:Goddammit.

I haven’t even read the news but I think I know what this is about and Crying or Very sad
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:29 pm

it would be undoubtedly frustrating if Dems end up cannibalizing one of their own first, given that Republicans are hypocritical cro-magnon savages, but it's still very much the right thing to do if there end up being multiple, credible accusations of gross misconduct.

there are rumblings from people who were there when these photos were taken who question how serious the whole situation actually was, but there's no question that he shouldn't have been doing it. women undergo a lot of harassment under the guise of "comedians being funny" and it shouldn't be tolerated. still, there's not a need to blow this out of proportion and compare Franken to Roy Moore, Dennis Hastert, Trump, etc.

hopefully Trump's latest outburst shines the white hot light back on him and his behavior. behavior for which he should be in jail. LOCK HIM UP!
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:56 pm

I agree with basically all of that. The story about the skit though creeps me the fuck out, though, and I worry we'll soon get some stories from like Victoria Jackson or something.
    Pete Best
    Pete Best
    Solid Bro

Pizzas : 116
    DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:47 pm

Should be left-wing loonies imho
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:28 pm

Matt Lauer is a fucking goon and all us Internet people knew it. LMFAO @ all the shock & outrage about his bunk ass.

Page Six has to be required reading for every executive in America at this point.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:30 pm

chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:13 pm

On Aziz Ansari and How, As a Writer in the Clickbait Era, I Feel an Uncontrollable Need to Project My Own Sexual Experiences and Fears Onto Any Flashpoint in the Culture Despite Them Having Zero Relevance to the Context at Hand
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:49 pm

Somewhere between that and what happened to Al Franken is the map to Trump's second term. I pray they don't find it in time.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:52 pm

social media has made people unbelievably bad at having a "good opinion"

everyone has lots of bad opinions on everything
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 67
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:37 pm

Unrelated but a couple weeks after the inauguration I attended an informal precinct level meeting at a dinner. The turnout was underwhelming and the organization was really poor as well. I still get e-mails from the organizers and have attended some small gatherings just to help people get their names on the ballot.

Anyways, today I got an e-mail from someone in the group inviting me to her house this Thursday for a political meeting about one of the Democratic challengers in IL-6 (Roskam's seat and my district). I clicked on her flyer and saw that $100 was the minimum donation for the event and there was an option of $2,700 listed not as supporter, but as "friend."

Are we serious with this shit?
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:49 am

They do that all the time.

It's dumb but you can still be their friend without it.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:47 pm

"Your silence and inaction is complicit violence" - Someone Who is Doing Absolutely Nothing To Contribute To Social Justice Other Than Engaging in Consumptive Virtue Signaling
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:23 pm

Well that was fucking pointless.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:04 pm

https://www.buzzfeed.com/ryancbrooks/dccc-emails-democrats

Millions of Americans routinely receive desperate emails from campaigns, perpetually on the edge of catastrophe and asking for just one more dollar to help bring the campaign back from complete ruin before an ominous midnight fundraising deadline.

And nobody does it like the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, the true artists of the dire email fundraiser.

“If we let Trump and his Republicans bury us, our chance of winning this election is absolutely gone. Will you help us close the gap before midnight?” the DCCC pleaded in an email titled "URGENT" before the presidential election.

Increasingly, though, Democratic strategists argue that there is a cost to the “churn-and-burn” fundraising strategy that outweighs the extra dollars it brings in. The cost of the spammy, fear-based communications, they say, is depressed and alienated voters and the public impression of the Democratic Party as just another arm of a cynical, dishonest establishment.

“Constantly screaming about doom, we’re going to lose — it may raise money for them. Clearly they do it because it raises money for them,” said Markos Moulitsas, the founder of Daily Kos, “but it does not create an environment where Democrats are eager to fight and win, because nobody wants to fight for a team they know is going to lose.”

“The approach they’ve used with alarmist language in their fundraising emails has become pervasive,” said Matthew McGregor, a former Democratic digital strategist, who worked for the Obama campaign. “What does this say about us about our values and how we value our supporters?”

For voters who probably don’t often interact with the national party, the strategy can be disorienting. In the days leading up to to Pennsylvania’s special election, for instance, the DCCC piled on an array of mixed messages on the state of the race:

“Conor Lamb DEFEATED?!”

“Conor Lamb WINS?!”

“Gut-wrenching loss”

“CONOR. LAMB. WINS!!!”

Fundraising has massively changed during the last several presidential cycles, especially in the wake of Barack Obama’s campaigns’ success in raising money through small-dollar email blasts. Over the last five years, especially, the national party committees — everyone from the Republican National Committee to the DCCC — have emphasized a never-ending series of impending monthly or quarterly fundraising deadlines.

That’s long frustrated some Democrats, but especially now, when anti-Trump fervor has fueled new candidates in newly competitive districts, and when many Democrats have become reenergized around a variety of issues, from murder weapon control to representation for people of color and women.

“I think the DCCC’s email strategy is a wasted opportunity for Democrats. They have this expansive email list that they could be using to cultivate and motivate voters to flip congressional seats in 2018,” said Laura Olin, a Democratic digital strategist who’s worked with a host of progressives including Barack Obama’s digital team.

“The thing is that fundraising campaigns from Obama, Warren, and Bernie showed us that we don’t need to use those scare tactics to raise money, and those tactics don’t make us lose our values by being inclusive, engaging, and honest rather than being alarmist and misleading,” said McGregor.

The current energy has helped drive a number of online-based national efforts outside of the traditional party apparatus, like Swing Left (which raises money for Democratic nominees) or any number of massively viral fundraising drives for nominees in special elections.

Party committees have a wider set of spending demands, and no one can say the strategy hasn’t been effective in pure fundraising terms. Just last week the DCCC said they had raised more than $50 million online. “Small dollar, grassroots donations have propelled the DCCC to record-breaking online fundraising this cycle. It’s clear that the base of our party is unified around the goal of taking back the House,” said DCCC spokesman Tyler Law.

That, people agree on.

“Does it raise a bunch of money for candidates? Hell yeah, [Jon] Ossoff raised a shit ton of money. But at what cost?” asked one operative. “It’s run in the model of the DCCC created back in 2013 and its exhausting our voters. There’s not an infinite pool of people to pull from and their strategy is going to turn people off from supporting Democratic causes.”

But party strategists want to see the DCCC treat Democratic voters like “actual adults” who don’t need to be tricked into supporting the party with misleading headlines.

“They have this relentless fucking strategy that seems to overwhelm and deceive their supporters,” one former Democratic digital strategist told BuzzFeed News. “The desperation and outright lies placed in these emails are going to be bad for the party. The DCCC is so prevalent that it sets itself up as the de facto face of the party by the sheer force and volume [of its emails] that can’t be distinguished from the rest of the party.”
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed May 30, 2018 3:44 am

I hate this shit
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Wed May 30, 2018 6:15 pm

Yeah. Like I get how awful the FOP is but maybe the city of Chicago could actually use an upgraded police academy?

Also insisting only assholes become cops is very quickly going to become a self-fulfilling prophecy that we're not gonna like much.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 67
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Wed May 30, 2018 11:11 pm

Yeah. Some people that I work with went a protest about the cop academy and they asked me if I wanted to go. Their main talking point was that the academy was installing a pool with taxpayer money, which is actually a dumb and conservative argument to be making.

When pressed these people make really flimsy arguments for "community policing" without actually bothering to take more than a minute to consider how that system would actually develop in a post-industrial urban environment like a Chicago or Detroit. Not everyone though! Tio Hardiman used his candidacy to focus attention on issues of policing in the city in an intelligent and effective way.
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Have You Heard?

Pizzas : 275
    Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion Thu May 31, 2018 10:15 am

i'm completely okay with anyone who lives or works on the west side being angry about the city's plan to spend $95 million in their neighborhood on a cop academy. this investment isn't for the locals. rahm closed 6 schools in this neighborhood a few years ago. there's a lot that money could do for housing, health care, education, transportation and safety that would be a more direct benefit to the neighborhoods around here that aren't "lets just drop an expensive cop academy here and hope a larger police presence does something positive."
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Thu May 31, 2018 4:12 pm

I guess #nocopacademy is catchier than #weneedtoprioritizegovernmentspendingonthingsotherthanpoliceifweexpectthecitysmajorsocialillstobesolvedinameaningfulway.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:06 pm

https://twitter.com/Jasperness/status/1017960245186813953

do y'all agree with me that this take was incredibly bad?

https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/7/13/17568448/sacha-baron-cohen-roy-moore-sarah-palin-who-is-america-fake-news

of course, she got some really gross and unjustifiable hated from internet trolls, so she will not critically examine why this is such a cliched and unthoughtful take. she said "I stand by my reporting and by my opinion". there was no reporting in her story.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:41 pm

chrondog wrote:there was no reporting in her story.

So has she actually seen this new show or not?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 1:32 am