reuben
Ted Falconi
31 posters

Television Discussion Thread

zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 876

Television Discussion Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: Television Discussion Thread

Post by zappo Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:55 pm

Either way, it was so damn brutal to watch. I had dreams about them shits, all night. Brutal.
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Have You Heard?

Pizzas : 275
    Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:28 pm

recap over on grantland strongly in favor of Theory Zappo
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:02 am

Again, only a spoiler if you aren't caught up.

Spoiler:
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:50 pm

Something to look forward to!

Television Discussion Thread - Page 9 Josebad
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 812
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:54 pm

Pretty sure at least 75% of the point of Breaking Bad is that those four people are white but I suppose there are things you can do.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:54 pm

Spoiler:
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:05 pm

Duff... wrote:Pretty sure at least 75% of the point of Breaking Bad is that those four people are white but I suppose there are things you can do.
    Spoiler:
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 67
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:36 am

Currently downloading all 9 seasons of Seinfeld in 720p. Play it loud, mutha 
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 980

Post by Nick Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:45 am

Series finale of Dexter was the lamest shit I've ever witnessed.
    tjenz
    tjenz
    Bass Player from Creepy D

Pizzas : 80

Post by tjenz Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:57 pm

Dexter was on a steady decline after season 3. That finale was the absolute worst.

Conversely, Breaking Bad is just about perfect. Really going to miss the ongoing adventures of Walt & Jesse.

Have You Heard?

Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:03 pm

i didn't catch this as it happened, but in sunday night's episode when the hockey game is on the tv of the NH bar walt is in, the broadcaster mentions the player handling the puck. it's footage from a college game from several (like 10+) years back, and i know IRL the guy who is named on air. so he's got that going for him.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Post by reuben Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:33 pm

Craig Anderson?

http://extramustard.si.com/2013/09/23/last-nights-breaking-bad-featured-a-classic-college-hockey-game-from-1998/
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Have You Heard?

Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:49 pm

granato. of the granato family of hockey players
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 997
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:52 pm

Nick wrote:Series finale of Dexter was the lamest shit I've ever witnessed.
    Amen. Fuck that shit.
    Getting ready to watch the BB finale though, with obviously much much higher expectations.
    tjenz
    tjenz
    Bass Player from Creepy D

Pizzas : 80

Post by tjenz Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:09 pm

When watching the BB finale, pretend the Nazis have a side gig as the writing staff for Dexter.

equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Post by yancy Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:32 pm

I wasn't super thrilled or blown away by the BB finale. And definitely not surprised, because I predicted almost exactly how it would go down, minus:
    Spoiler:
    Part of what I loved about BB is that it would continually surprise me or defy my unimaginative expectations. It was almost too satisfying. I watch BB for the nausea, not tidy resolution. Granted, it's impossible for them to maintain that seat-edge anticipation when they're tying up loose ends, not fraying new ones.
    yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:51 pm

The more I think about it, BB basically ended for me when Walt told Skyler "I won" after killing Gus. Season 5.1 was like a fun mini-sequel, Heisenberg: The Adventure Continues. Season 5.2 is the kind of thorough, exhaustive (in a good way) epilogue you'd normally only see in a proper novel. If seasons 1 through 5.1 were a slow-motion car crash, season 5.2 is the ambulance ride to the hospital, patient dying on the operating table, and a full Irish wake. Which I appreciate as an uberfan, but at the same time felt... unnecessary?

I wouldn't give back a minute of the protracted ending, but wouldn't it have been fun to end the series when Hank finds Leaves of Grass on the toilet? I realize that's not how things are done in the new golden age of TV drama, unless you want a Sopranos sized dose of backlash.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Post by reuben Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:55 pm

Wait ... I haven't been following the show but could you please explain to me how Hank could possibly end up in Andy T's bathroom?
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:44 pm

There is a pizza on Andy T's roof, right now.
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Pizzas : 161
    Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:42 pm

yancy wrote:I wasn't super thrilled or blown away by the BB finale. And definitely not surprised, because I predicted almost exactly how it would go down, minus:
    Spoiler:
    Part of what I loved about BB is that it would continually surprise me or defy my unimaginative expectations. It was almost too satisfying. I watch BB for the nausea, not tidy resolution. Granted, it's impossible for them to maintain that seat-edge anticipation when they're tying up loose ends, not fraying new ones.
    This is so OTM. Have you read Emily Nussbaum's critique of the finale? In some ways, this was the de-facto ending:

Spoiler:

and the most lip-smacking satisfying. But that - as you point out - hasn't been the show's M.O. They didn't need to fray new ends in order to avoid tying up the existing ones too tightly. A minor misstep though. Great show.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:43 pm

the internet is going to get 10x better now that this ridiculous show isn't preoccupying everyone's useful brain cells
    yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:34 pm

Damn right. Back to neggin' posts!
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:11 am

The spread, last night:

Television Discussion Thread - Page 9 13747710

Television Discussion Thread - Page 9 13770610

Special one-time-only sundae courtesy of recent Yancy dessert destination Van's Frozen Custard.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 997
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:12 am

Well played sir.
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Pizzas : 161
    Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:25 pm

Both thematic and a dope-ass spread.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 1:39 am