Duff...
15 posters

Condé Nast buys Pitchfork Media.

Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 809
    DispositionSunny.

Condé Nast buys Pitchfork Media. Empty Condé Nast buys Pitchfork Media.

Post by Duff... Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:05 am

This is something we should talk about, right? Maybe? I mean DJ David Drake now works for the same people who own The New Yorker and Teen Vogue.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1138

Condé Nast buys Pitchfork Media. Empty Re: Condé Nast buys Pitchfork Media.

Post by undo Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:54 am

Does he still write for them?

How does Pitchfork even make money?
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:29 am

From adverts.
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Pizzas : 201

Post by C-poots Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:12 am

Selling tickets to their massive festivals, selling subscriptions to their print magazine (which is filled with adverts), covering their site's pages with adverts, getting revenues through adverts shown on their Youtube channel, etc...though I suspect you were joking undo.

Anyway, I'm not surprised Pitchfork was able to sell itself nor that it chose to. It is a pretty valuable product (financially, not intellectually) with a strong brand name and Condé Nast needs those sorts of things. Ryan S. on the other hand is walking away with a big load of cash and from what I know, that feels good.

Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:18 am

Part of me feels really sad about this. The site has become more an advertising portal than a place to discover new music over the past 8 years but the press release had generic, MBA bean counter drivel that every CEO in America probably thinks/says a thousand times a week.

I felt like "ugh, these guys that built this are a part of this fucking bullshit now?" I guess it's cool a bunch of them are rich and maybe that will lead to a new project for them in the future. I refuse to believe though the Conde people aren't going to walk into those offices on Day 1 of the official take over and say "OK kids, glad you've had fun but let's introduce you to our people and tell you how certain things are going to change..."
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:28 am

And Chris Ott aside, it feels like on Hipinion there is a weird disdain towards the site. This "Oh I haven't read that site in years" attitude that I don't understand. But if even Ryan is some total dickhead I feel happy for any dude that starts a business in a basement and 15 years walks away rich.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:58 am

C-poots wrote: I suspect you were joking undo.

I remember the days of the American Apparel banner ads and I haven't seen anything like that in years and not because of ad-blockers because I've been on the site with a lot of computers that don't have any of that on it. Maybe they've become so inconspicuous that I don't even notice them today, I don't know.

How much profit do they really make from the festivals? Probably a lot but it never struck me as the kind of thing to do for the purposes of keeping the site running every day.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Post by reuben Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:05 am

C-poots wrote:Ryan S. on the other hand is walking away with a big load of cash and from what I know, that feels good.

Yeah and maybe now he can finally afford a decent haircut.
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Post by C-poots Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:18 am

undo wrote:
    C-poots wrote: I suspect you were joking undo.

I remember the days of the American Apparel banner ads and I haven't seen anything like that in years and not because of ad-blockers because I've been on the site with a lot of computers that don't have any of that on it. Maybe they've become so inconspicuous that I don't even notice them today, I don't know.

How much profit do they really make from the festivals? Probably a lot but it never struck me as the kind of thing to do for the purposes of keeping the site running every day.

I really don't know the profits they generate from the festival, but it seems they were good enough to run it in Paris when Chicago gets too chilly. I'm sure the licensing and ad-partnerships they do at those things are pretty massive. Hell, even the top 100 list is sponsored by, like, Acura or Apple or something now.

Anyway, I see it sort of like Nick in that, good on Ryan for selling his business for I assume a good chunk of change. But, I also think the site has become something else -- its not just a site full of mostly badly written reviews, but now its littered with the sort of news fodder that the likes of TMZ and the late Hipster Runoff would latch on to, or biased think pieces ala Vice Media. Add to that the feeling of conflicting interests with well-reviewed artists headlining P4k festivals and littering their site's adspace and I think, well, who really cares what they become under Conde Nast. I don't feel any sort of precognitive nostalgia for the "independent" days of Pitchfork because they've felt really corporate for a while.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 993
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:14 pm

Nick wrote: This "Oh I haven't read that site in years" attitude that I don't understand.

Well isn't this like the attitude that people associate with modern day hipsteurs? Not really surprised that posters at hipinion would embody that sentiment.
    Anyway I hope deej can avoid the existential crises and messy divorces that happened to Don Draper when similar shit went down on Mad Men.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:32 am

Pretty sure Deej works for Complex, now.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:59 am

Pretty sure Complex is also owned by Conde Nasty.
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Post by C-poots Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:20 pm

Complex is independent, they own a bunch of other stuff.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 809
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:35 pm

Deej has written a few things for the Fork this year, no concept of how much or what his specific relationship with the newly minted Condé Nast asset is.

Sitting somewhere between Nick's Take and the C-Poots position on this matter. There has been this feeling that Pitchfork is pretty much Rolling Stone for awhile now, but I have a similar feeling that I had when AmBev bought Goose Island.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:02 pm

http://pitchfork.com/news/66116-2pac-missy-elliott-j-cole-lyrics-to-appear-on-sprite-cans/

Why R they reporting this?
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:05 pm

Gotta create that content bro.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:33 am

Nick wrote:Gotta create that content bro.

http://pitchfork.com/news/66221-jamie-foxx-parodies-future-as-his-father-past-watch/

4 fucks sake
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:42 pm

At first, Frank Ocean was simply a great storyteller. Then he became the story—an avatar 4 all of our fluid modern ideals. He could be the dynamic human of the future, exploding age-old binaries with an eloquent note, melting racial divisions with a devastating turn of phrase or quick flit to falsetto. He breathed hope. Then he went away.

Years clicked by. It was easy to worry. There R precedents 4 this sort of thing, 4 disappearances, 4 the self-implosion of black genius. Lauryn Hill. Dave Chappelle.

Take 4 years between albums and suddenly U're Lauryn Hill?

I support gay/trans rights and feminism like a motherfucker but it's been unbearable to watch Pitchfork jump on the bandwagon 4 these issues over the past couple years.  Like, it doesn't matter if an artist is exploring these topics in an interesting or thoughtful or creative way, they just have to put a song out there that ticks a couple boxes or go on a Twitter rant and it's pretty much the same thing as hacking Pitchfork because they can keep their name on the front page 4 days if they want.

Like, 4 years ago this site was basically giving Tyler the Creator a bullhorn to say any disgusting thing he wanted and then they'd stand back and wash their hands of it and be like "we're just reporting the news!"  Now they're trying to make up 4 15 years of not giving a shit about Kathleen Hanna and just taking anything that Grimes does or says and trying to turn it into news even when it's actually counterproductive to the social change they want to advocate.

How do U complain about this without effectively co-signing the complaints of gamergate douchebags (who aren't reading my shitty posts anyway but that's not the point)?
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:07 pm

undo wrote:How do U complain about this without effectively co-signing the complaints of gamergate douchebags (who aren't reading my shitty posts anyway but that's not the point)?

this is how. by yelling into the void in a room of like-minded idiots to get the anger out, then moving on quietly.

people and organizations R wildly overcompensating in this age of identity-obsessed politics, but we kinda have to let them.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:34 pm

http://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/5923-top-100-albums-of-the-1990s/?page=10

Regardless, any arguing or defending of the record seems pointless and redundant. Which is why it's here at the peak. It should be reiterated, however, just how much better OK Computer is than Loveless, and why people somehow forget this. Loveless, a masterpiece of form and noise, impresses the brain like stylized photography. Surely, it is breathtaking. It provides the senses with a romantic, heightened ideal of music, experienced through an unbreakable medium. The sound overwhelms to such an extent that multiple listens R unnecessary and taxing. OK Computer, in contrast, sounds crystalline and liveable-- a true, enterable aural landscape packaged with press-delivered mythology describing its creation (Thom Yorke singing on his back staring at Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman's castle ceiling).

Those overly familiar with this album's details doubt its brilliance only in the way a Loveless-like beauty sitting across the restaurant from your mate questions your life commitment. U haven't seen the armpit stubble, shower drain residue, high-school poetry, morning dental state, and Disney-induced tears of Loveless. Psychologically, one needs those fantastic diversions, but there has to be something real to return to again and again. OK Computer simply is the anxious, self-important, uncertain, technologically overwhelmed 1990s. --Brent DiCrescenzo

I know this is from 2003.

And they never had to answer 4 this and that's one of those things I just can't get over.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:23 pm

I don't know if it's truly necessary to call out this review in particular but this just feels like a re-written press release.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/22565-ring-spiel-tour-95/
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:25 pm

Siouxsie, Joy Division, the Cure, Kanye: Watch a Brief History of Goth
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:45 pm

chrondog wrote:people and organizations R wildly overcompensating in this age of identity-obsessed politics, but we kinda have to let them.
    http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/22897-drip-mental/
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:21 pm

Wow Pitchfork is all in this week on OK Computer anniversary articles. Conde's analytics team must have said there was an opportunity to pick up some serious organic traffic in the coming months with this content.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:03 pm

Sorting through metaphorical traces left behind, Cocker asks on the title track, “Is there anything sadder than a hotel room that hasn't been fucked in?”

Cocker brings his wry Pulp persona to bear on Gonzales’ elegant piano and film-score approach and deep pop tune understanding. A few tracks are infectious enough to merit standalone listens.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:25 pm