undo
Duff...
15 posters

Condé Nast buys Pitchfork Media.

undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1139

Condé Nast buys Pitchfork Media. - Page 6 Empty Re: Condé Nast buys Pitchfork Media.

Post by undo Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:57 pm

I used to get excited about these. And I still regularly go to that site (for reasons irrelevant to this discussion!) and there's the link to the list right there but I just have absolutely no desire to click it whatsoever.

I've been trying to unpack whether my apathy is rooted in a (well deserved) cynicism towards the site or if it's more of an almost-universal process of growing old and just losing interest in caring about what people think is "cool" or whatever.
    undo
    undo

Condé Nast buys Pitchfork Media. - Page 6 Empty Re: Condé Nast buys Pitchfork Media.

Post by undo Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:13 pm

But I mean, what did I expect from them? Would I really do anything different if I was in their shoes?
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:45 pm

https://pitchfork.com/staff/mark-richardson/

https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/mark-richardson

Are these different people?
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:43 am

Hmmm... not sure but I didn’t think P4K Mark was from England.

I actually read P4K Mark Richardson’s review of the Harmonia Complete Discography the other day and thought it was well written.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:17 pm

Condé Nast buys Pitchfork Media. - Page 6 Screen17

who gives a [I]shit[/]
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 810
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:24 pm

That's some VH1 nonsense right there.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:52 pm

It's probably fine, I just think the 2012 Cheering For The Winners-style poptimism writing has kind of run its course and doesn't really work in a pandemic denial/end of empire summer.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 282
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:42 pm

I always knew pitchfork would come for Boz Scaggs…
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:05 pm

It's an excellent album. "Lowdown" was on a work playlist and made its way into my rotation. Then, I found a copy of Silk Degrees on the side of the road near Markleeville, CA. It's in my CD case in the car now and I'll bust it out on the occasional road trip.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:10 am

I meant that seriously chrono. I don’t think pitchfork deserves Boz!

Lowdown is a perfect track. Early morning, mid morning, noon, early afternoon, late afternoon, early evening, evening, late evening, midnight, early dawn, dawn. It works during all those

chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:34 pm

I know ya did. And I think it's right that they do! While also seeing the irony in hipster publications claiming the same stuff they rejected in their formative period.

Blue-eyed soul isn't very cool (or a cool term), but it's great.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 995
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:24 pm

This is such an incredibly un-fun record review https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/kylie-minogue-disco/

Am I alone in thinking DISCO was actually pretty fucking cool?
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:29 pm

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/wednesday-chosen-to-deserve/

Wednesday are honest chroniclers of the Southern everyday, surveying a no-frills landscape of ashen Dairy Queens, run-over dogs, and pissed-on wallpaper. Their stories will make you laugh, wince, recoil, and reminisce. On “Chosen to Deserve,” the lead single from the Asheville band’s debut studio album, Rat Saw God, singer and guitarist Karly Hartzman details a messy adolescence full of fuck-ups and first times: skipping school, having sex in the back of an SUV, witnessing friends overdose on Benadryl. “Now that it’s been awhile I’ll get around to tellin’ you all my worst,” she informs a lover, not looking for absolution but just saying it like it is, “just so you know what you’ve been chosen to deserve.” Between the meandering, relaxed verses, the band takes it back to a slamming country guitar riff that’s part–Lynyrd Skynyrd, part–Drive-By Truckers, with whom the band toured last year.

The accompanying Spencer Kelly–directed music video is an ode to down-home North Carolina, with home-video footage interspersed with newly-recorded scenes of the band in the neighborhood where Hartzman’s parents live: golf cart rides around the trailer park, geese swimming in the local pond, trips to the pool with the slide shaped like a frog’s tongue. Though in the last verse Hartzman confesses that she’s outgrown her teenage antics—“Now all the drugs are gettin kinda boring to me/Now everywhere is loneliness and it’s in everything”—the song still indicates fondness for the good ol’ days, surrounded by community. 

Do you ever read this shit and feel like it's just following a Mad Libs template?

(Band Name) are (unprovable and overgeneralized statement), referencing (random shit that their lyrics mention). On "(Song Title)" they (general description of things that happen in song): (specific things that are mentioned in song). "(Song lyric)." (Vague statement that seems to support and prove the thesis of the review so far).

(Credibility-boosting anecdote about the band's personal life or description of some adjacent media to the song). "(Song lyrics)." On ("Song name)," (band name) proves they are (whatever the fuck is hot right now).

Years of reading this style of writing has cut grooves into my brain that just won't heal, I wish I could show you how I think review writing ought to be done instead but the damage is permanent.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:07 pm

That post probably deserves its own thread (or dedicated forum) where we fill out that madlib for every special new band/artist that comes around.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:20 am

Most times when I read an old pitchfork review of an album from the early 00s, Brent D is shitting on that album. I don’t remember how he was a SOMB poster but his reviews come across as a wannabe Lester Bangs. He’s cruel just for the shitz and that was sorta the rock critic template at that time. The review of Braids album today led me to his review of their double disc comp from the late 90s. In his review he invokes Burning Airlines as a band who has the ‘mantle’ but in 2023 Braid are reissuing their landmark album, anyone heard from BA lately?
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:46 am

BGwaves wrote:Most times when I read an old pitchfork review of an album from the early 00s, Brent D is shitting on that album. I don’t remember how he was a SOMB poster but his reviews come across as a wannabe Lester Bangs. He’s cruel just for the shitz and that was sorta the rock critic template at that time. The review of Braids album today led me to his review of their double disc comp from the late 90s. In his review he invokes Burning Airlines as a band who has the ‘mantle’ but in 2023 Braid are reissuing their landmark album, anyone heard from BA lately?

I like a lot of Brent’s reviews even if I don’t ultimately agree with them. I think he is an example of the type of writer and writing style that was necessary at Pitchfork when the site launched and built an audience.

I’m sure some people check it frequently but I rarely do for the simple reason the Brent style writers are gone. It’s all boring, typical review writing now and sometimes the sentences are so poorly constructed I cannot continue through a paragraph I’m in the middle of.

I was a daily reader back in the early 2000s. I was discovering a shitload of new music every day and I’d look forward to specific writers posting a review. Pitchfork is now just an advertising platform for Condé Nast.
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Pizzas : 161
    Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:40 pm

I check in just to see what's new that the algorithms at Tidal/Spotify aren't already throwing at me. The writing has been insufferable ever since Conde took over - and also sorta clearly not the point of the website anymore.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:22 pm

Yeah I’ll check it just to scroll through the past few weeks of what records they’ve reviewed to see if an artist I like has done anything lately. Easier than remembering what artists I like and trying to keep tabs on them.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:28 pm

Have they published a single negative review in this entire decade? I'm talking 2.0 or less.

Seems like they've lost the appetite to criticize anything at all, as there's no potential for a "takedown"-style review to go viral anymore (at least not on a scale that would mean anything to Conde Nast) and it's not worth the possible mea culpa they'll eventually have to make when that artist either gets popular or eventually makes something worth a damn. But more than that, at this point maybe there's no fanbase of any size that you can really afford to upset and turn away for good.

jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 259

Post by jesus jones Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:27 pm

i wrote a review for them recently. it was an intense process but some of the best edits i've ever gotten

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/larry-june-the-alchemist-the-great-escape/
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Pizzas : 161
    Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:59 pm

huh - that's really cool and really cool to hear
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:20 pm

undo wrote:https://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/wednesday-chosen-to-deserve/

Wednesday are honest chroniclers of the Southern everyday, surveying a no-frills landscape of ashen Dairy Queens, run-over dogs, and pissed-on wallpaper. Their stories will make you laugh, wince, recoil, and reminisce. On “Chosen to Deserve,” the lead single from the Asheville band’s debut studio album, Rat Saw God, singer and guitarist Karly Hartzman details a messy adolescence full of fuck-ups and first times: skipping school, having sex in the back of an SUV, witnessing friends overdose on Benadryl. “Now that it’s been awhile I’ll get around to tellin’ you all my worst,” she informs a lover, not looking for absolution but just saying it like it is, “just so you know what you’ve been chosen to deserve.” Between the meandering, relaxed verses, the band takes it back to a slamming country guitar riff that’s part–Lynyrd Skynyrd, part–Drive-By Truckers, with whom the band toured last year.

The accompanying Spencer Kelly–directed music video is an ode to down-home North Carolina, with home-video footage interspersed with newly-recorded scenes of the band in the neighborhood where Hartzman’s parents live: golf cart rides around the trailer park, geese swimming in the local pond, trips to the pool with the slide shaped like a frog’s tongue. Though in the last verse Hartzman confesses that she’s outgrown her teenage antics—“Now all the drugs are gettin kinda boring to me/Now everywhere is loneliness and it’s in everything”—the song still indicates fondness for the good ol’ days, surrounded by community. 

Do you ever read this shit and feel like it's just following a Mad Libs template?

(Band Name) are (unprovable and overgeneralized statement), referencing (random shit that their lyrics mention). On "(Song Title)" they (general description of things that happen in song): (specific things that are mentioned in song). "(Song lyric)." (Vague statement that seems to support and prove the thesis of the review so far).

(Credibility-boosting anecdote about the band's personal life or description of some adjacent media to the song). "(Song lyrics)." On ("Song name)," (band name) proves they are (whatever the fuck is hot right now).

Years of reading this style of writing has cut grooves into my brain that just won't heal, I wish I could show you how I think review writing ought to be done instead but the damage is permanent.

I was listening to the Wednesday album this morning which is probably my favorite this year. The song “Bull Believer” is my favorite song this year off this album. Anyway, made me think of this post!
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:54 pm

Pitchfork wrote:This deluxe reissue is the holy grail that fans of Tim have dreamt of: a new mix that instantly becomes the best and most definitive album in the Replacements’ catalog.

That line is inexcusable.

Other than that ridiculous hyperbole with no caveat, I actually liked their review of this remix, which IS fucking definitively awesome.

Maybe "fans of Tim" are the demographic for whom this is now clearly the "best and most definitive" Mats album, and that line was just meant to apply to them.  It's still pretty dumb though imhfo.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:27 am

Conde killing Pitchfork and letting a lot of good writers go. While I haven’t actively read the site in years I still discover new music there and read archives all the time.

Reading comments online there does seem to be quite a bit of similar reactions. Sad while admitting lack of engagement recently. I mean, I have no fucking clue how Zoomers find music but people of similar age to me discovered a lot of awesome shit from sites like Pitchfork. But then I got older, had less time for listening to new music, reading about new music and mostly just listen to shit I love and maybe 10-20 new albums a year.

I’m probably wrong though.
    Pete Best
    Pete Best
    Solid Bro

Pizzas : 116
    DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:04 am

It took eight years, but the people who were worried were ultimately correct.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 6:35 pm